Sign in with
Your question
Closed

9600 GSO can play Skyrim?!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 24, 2012 11:05:22 PM

I´ve got this card because I couldn´t afford everything at once and thought I could run games at low settings (hopefully getting a GTX 560 in a couple months).

I can run Skyrim for a while but eventually the screen freezes and the sound goes THUD THUD THUD THUD THUD THUD THUD THUD THUD THUD... until I hard reset it.

The same thing happens on the desktop and Chrome browser. It´s unpredictable, but 9 times outta 10 my computer gets turned off this way.

Is that a sign of the graphics card failing, or is there something else wrong? Thanks. :hello: 

More about : 9600 gso play skyrim

a b Î Nvidia
June 24, 2012 11:09:23 PM

hard to tell but even on low settings and high resolution, the 9600GSO can get taxed. it's a fairly old card, really just a 8800GS with a new name.
Score

Best solution

June 24, 2012 11:17:16 PM

I had a similar problem with my computer, where it would do as you described. I went into the BIOS, because I had been overclocking and I figured that either I had the clock to high, or the voltage was too low. I raised the voltage a bit and it worked fine.

How old is the card? If it has been aged, it could just be failing because of that.
Have you altered any settings on the card? Hope I can help but for now, I would recommend bumping up the voltage, especially if you have been overclocking.
Related resources
June 24, 2012 11:25:38 PM

locomoco321 said:
I had a similar problem with my computer, where it would do as you described. I went into the BIOS, because I had been overclocking and I figured that either I had the clock to high, or the voltage was too low. I raised the voltage a bit and it worked fine.

How old is the card? If it has been aged, it could just be failing because of that.
Have you altered any settings on the card? Hope I can help but for now, I would recommend bumping up the voltage, especially if you have been overclocking.

The CPUID HWMonitor says GPU is only drawing 1.00 volts.

I installed MSI Afterburner and it shows the voltage locked and says certain cards don´t allow changes. Can I bypass this?

Brand new card I haven´t changed anything on yet.
Score
June 26, 2012 6:53:07 AM

Boosted the SB voltage in my BIOS (AI Tweak tab) from default 1.100 up to 1.150

The bios warned me if I tried to go higher by changing the font to yellow, then to purple if I went past 1.200. I could go much higher, so I´ll try some overclocks at this level. I polished the heatsink and applied Arctic Silver grease too.

Thanks for the advice locomoco321! This is the first time my systemś been stable in 4 months. :bounce:  I spent 60 bucks on a new PSU and wasted way too much time on dead ends. Skyrim is waiting. :sol: 
Score
July 6, 2012 9:27:53 AM

Best answer selected by ryanzero.
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
July 6, 2012 12:33:35 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!