Sign in with
Your question

What are cons of Crossfire?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 25, 2012 2:18:13 AM

What are some cons for crossfire? I have an MSI 6850 cyclone edition and I would like another.

I want cons that are actual problems, not stuff like "It costs more, or NVIDIA SLI is better"

Cons like the fact that I've heard that crossfired cards have a microstutter problem. Is this true? Are there other problems like this?

More about : cons crossfire

a c 235 U Graphics card
June 25, 2012 2:23:45 AM

creates more heat then a single card, especially if the two cards are on top of one another

games may need a patch from the developer to fully utilize multi-cards

games may need a new drivers from AMD/Nvidia to fully utilize multi-cards

you now have two cards (or more) to sell in order to recoup costs for GPU upgrades

you need a PSU that can deliver more power for multi-cards
m
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
June 25, 2012 2:30:20 AM

Cons
Microstutter if its 2 cards
Limited future upgrade path
Power Consumption is higher
Generates more heat

Pros
Cost effective for fps gain

edit: and not all games support crossfire/sli
m
l
Related resources
June 25, 2012 2:32:34 AM

Well cooling is fine, the cyclone cooler was meant for the gtx 560, and the 6850 doesn't get as hot as that. and If that becomes a problem I can buy aftermarket coolers.
The games I play that I "need" crossfire for I'm certain support crossfire. I.E. Crysis 2, Battlefield 3, Skyrim...Mainstream high graphic intensity games like that. Games that aren't like that my single 6850 can handle.

My psu/motherboard supports crossfire.
600w is enough?
m
l
June 25, 2012 2:34:09 AM

Micro-stuttering is perfectly true, and ESPECIALLY for 6850 since it's lower-end than 6970 (for which it's less bad). As you mentionned, SLI performs better and does have less micro-stuttering, that is a fact. Some games won't even support it, and even when the fps is higher, it often won't feel smoother. Between two 6850 and a 7850/70 which could be about the same price, I wouldn't hesitate to go for 7850/70. In your case, I'd just wait and get a worthy single-gpu upgrade in the future.
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
June 25, 2012 2:39:00 AM

N11Ckk123472 said:

600w is enough?

a quality 600w will work

FYI, the msi cyclone cooler first came out with the GTX 460, i know i grabbed one on launch day.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2012 2:42:20 AM

i played with Xfired 6870's for a few weeks, never noticed any problems. i didn't need that much power so i gave one of the cards to my little bro.

i honestly think micro stutter is a myth because if it was soooo bad people wouldn't xfire or SLI
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2012 2:51:16 AM

Have a read through the following article. It will give you a better understanding of what micro-stutter is and how it might affect you.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...

Con: using two graphics cards usually requires more power and therefore a beefier power supply. You should check that your power supply provides enough PCIe auxilliary power connectors before you attempt to crossfire your 6850. Each requires one 6 pin PCIe power connector.

m
l
!