What are cons of Crossfire?

What are some cons for crossfire? I have an MSI 6850 cyclone edition and I would like another.

I want cons that are actual problems, not stuff like "It costs more, or NVIDIA SLI is better"

Cons like the fact that I've heard that crossfired cards have a microstutter problem. Is this true? Are there other problems like this?
7 answers Last reply
More about what cons crossfire
  1. Cons
    Microstutter if its 2 cards
    Limited future upgrade path
    Power Consumption is higher
    Generates more heat

Pros
    Cost effective for fps gain

edit: and not all games support crossfire/sli
  2. if you've heard cards have a microstutter problem then search... toms has a rather exhaustive article on the subject.

www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html
  3. Well cooling is fine, the cyclone cooler was meant for the gtx 560, and the 6850 doesn't get as hot as that. and If that becomes a problem I can buy aftermarket coolers.
    The games I play that I "need" crossfire for I'm certain support crossfire. I.E. Crysis 2, Battlefield 3, Skyrim...Mainstream high graphic intensity games like that. Games that aren't like that my single 6850 can handle.

My psu/motherboard supports crossfire.
    600w is enough?
  4. Micro-stuttering is perfectly true, and ESPECIALLY for 6850 since it's lower-end than 6970 (for which it's less bad). As you mentionned, SLI performs better and does have less micro-stuttering, that is a fact. Some games won't even support it, and even when the fps is higher, it often won't feel smoother. Between two 6850 and a 7850/70 which could be about the same price, I wouldn't hesitate to go for 7850/70. In your case, I'd just wait and get a worthy single-gpu upgrade in the future.
  5. i played with Xfired 6870's for a few weeks, never noticed any problems. i didn't need that much power so i gave one of the cards to my little bro.

i honestly think micro stutter is a myth because if it was soooo bad people wouldn't xfire or SLI
  6. Have a read through the following article. It will give you a better understanding of what micro-stutter is and how it might affect you.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html

Con: using two graphics cards usually requires more power and therefore a beefier power supply. You should check that your power supply provides enough PCIe auxilliary power connectors before you attempt to crossfire your 6850. Each requires one 6 pin PCIe power connector.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Crossfire Graphics MSI-Microstar