Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HD 7850 and Phenom II 955 BE. Bottleneck?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 25, 2012 4:53:12 AM

I was looking around the forum and saw that in some places people were talking that having a 7850 with Phenom II 955 would be bottlenecking the GPU. Is this true? I was thinking of getting a 7850 over a 6870 but if it would bean overkill, I would go for the cheaper 6870.

I
a c 189 U Graphics card
June 25, 2012 4:58:14 AM

It probably wont be, maybe overclock the 955 a bit.
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2012 5:01:49 AM

I have a x2 550 BE unlocked to a quad and running at 3.7GHz, and a 6950 unlocked to a 6970. So pretty similar performance to what your talking about. I haven't noticed any bottlenecking. I suppose you might see some in a very very CPU intensive game. But I would definitely recommend a 7850 over a 6870. Your cpu is unlocked so you can always do some overclocking if you think there's an issue.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2012 5:18:10 AM

I think a 7850 is about right for that cpu. Depending on the game, you would probably bottle neck the card a bit at times, but its possible that the card would hold back your cpu in other circumstances. In other words the 2 are fairly balanced, maybe weighted somewhat towards the graphics card, but with an overclock of the cpu up to the 3.3-3.4Ghz range, I think the balance would be about even.
a c 214 U Graphics card
June 25, 2012 5:45:10 AM

What resolution are you gaming at?

I would agree with unksol.Only in CPU intensive games such as BF3 would the CPU bottleneck a 7850.But what it comes down to most is what resolution you game at.The higher the resolution the lower the CPU bottleneck will be.
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2012 6:24:14 AM

Pretty much every system is bottlenecked by either the cpu, or gpu to some degree or another. All the people buying i5 2500k's and not getting a $600 gpu are really holding back that i5's potential.
When it comes to gaming I would rather have a somewhat over-powered gpu, than the other way around if possible.
Purple stank is correct as far as resolution having a lot to do with it though.
June 25, 2012 7:11:02 AM

I have the same cpu with a 680, yeah its bottle necked in some games but its really not as bad as some will lead you to believe.
June 25, 2012 7:25:43 AM

Bottleneck will occur only in CPU intensive games like skyrim, starcraft, the witcher , GTA IV , some RTS games ... etc
else you won't feel any bottleneck games like battlefield 3 or any well optimized game will run perfectly
I had an AMD reg before but for me I am playing dota 2, HON , GTA IV I had little bottleneck in big fights due to intense effects and unit numbers so I changed to core i5.
So long story short its all depend on u and what u are playing
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2012 7:30:19 AM

hey just overclock it past 3.7 ghz and you should be fine @ a resolution of 1080p and above
any lower than 1080p and you will be bottlenecked
June 25, 2012 11:11:18 AM

I am playing on a 1920x1080 screen. So if there is little to none bottleneck, I think I will go ahead and buy a 7850. And if I notice any bottlenecking I can always OC my CPU a bit.
June 25, 2012 12:11:41 PM

You will probably only notice it in CPU intensive games, GPU is more important for gaming in any case. So better let your CPU be bottleneck, than your GPU.

Besides: My bro has Phenom II x4 955 BE with a GTX 680 4GB phantom, and it works perfectly fine
June 25, 2012 12:37:37 PM

purple stank said:
What resolution are you gaming at?

I would agree with unksol.Only in CPU intensive games such as BF3 would the CPU bottleneck a 7850.But what it comes down to most is what resolution you game at.The higher the resolution the lower the CPU bottleneck will be.


According to the link below, BF3 isn't cpu intensive.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/battlefield-3-vga-and-cpu...

Maybe you meant in a 64 player multiplayer?
a c 130 U Graphics card
June 25, 2012 1:23:12 PM

GI_JONES said:
Pretty much every system is bottlenecked by either the cpu, or gpu to some degree or another. All the people buying i5 2500k's and not getting a $600 gpu are really holding back that i5's potential.
When it comes to gaming I would rather have a somewhat over-powered gpu, than the other way around if possible.
Purple stank is correct as far as resolution having a lot to do with it though.



GI_JONES said:
Pretty much every system is bottlenecked by either the cpu, or gpu to some degree or another. All the people buying i5 2500k's and not getting a $600 gpu are really holding back that i5's potential.
When it comes to gaming I would rather have a somewhat over-powered gpu, than the other way around if possible.
Purple stank is correct as far as resolution having a lot to do with it though.



What are you talking about ?? You cant hold back a CPU with a GPU.
More CPU than GPU is the correct way around to do it not the other way as you are saying.

@ Ov3rdose
You will be fine with that set up you will get restrictions on some games but nothing that will make you notice the card is under performing.

You should Over clock if possible. I would not buy these two together new but if you have a 955 already then no reason not to get a 7850.

What are you upgrading from ?

Mactronix
June 25, 2012 4:02:05 PM

At the moment I have a 3 years old ATI HD4850. And I already have the CPU so not buying them together.
a c 130 U Graphics card
June 25, 2012 4:28:02 PM

That will be a nice upgrade for you, the 7850 will make the difference between playable and not when compared to the 6870.

Mactronix
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2012 4:39:43 PM

mactronix said:
What are you talking about ?? You cant hold back a CPU with a GPU.
More CPU than GPU is the correct way around to do it not the other way as you are saying.

@ Ov3rdose
You will be fine with that set up you will get restrictions on some games but nothing that will make you notice the card is under performing.

You should Over clock if possible. I would not buy these two together new but if you have a 955 already then no reason not to get a 7850.

What are you upgrading from ?

Mactronix

What do you mean by, you cant hold back a cpu with a gpu? If I had an i5 2500, paired with a 9500GT, I'm pretty sure I wouldnt use 100% of the processors power, but the gpu would be maxed out. In that case the gpu would be holding back the processor.
a c 214 U Graphics card
June 25, 2012 5:48:41 PM

mactronix 100%.Go get em buddy.
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2012 5:53:34 PM

If I am mistaken...educate me :D 
June 25, 2012 7:41:37 PM

mactronix said:
What are you talking about ?? You cant hold back a CPU with a GPU.
More CPU than GPU is the correct way around to do it not the other way as you are saying.

@ Ov3rdose
You will be fine with that set up you will get restrictions on some games but nothing that will make you notice the card is under performing.

You should Over clock if possible. I would not buy these two together new but if you have a 955 already then no reason not to get a 7850.

What are you upgrading from ?

Mactronix


Yes you can. The cpu is sending each frame to the gpu, and is also doing some processing that depends on the game. If the cpu is doing its part and sending the frame data to the gpu, but the gpu is still processing the last frame, that means that the gpu is holding the cpu back in terms of gaming.
!