Sign in with
Your question

Is my PSU strong enough ?

Last response: in Components
December 29, 2012 2:42:44 PM

Hi there i recently started a new build have all the parts ready to go but it seems that my PSU isn't strong enough, but since im not the most knowledgable on computers thought i'd ask the forums for help.

Here is my build:

Graphics card: Geforce gtx 570
Motherboard: Asrock z77 extreme 4
CPU: Intel core i5-3470
Memory: Ares gskill 8g (2x)
Storage: Samsung spinpoint f3 1tb 7200rpm
PSU: Corsair TX650

If my PSU is not able to handle my build, what should i be looking to get instead of the tx650 ?

More about : psu strong

a c 260 ) Power supply
December 29, 2012 2:48:39 PM

miriam3 said:
Hi there i recently started a new build have all the parts ready to go but it seems that my PSU isn't strong enough, but since im not the most knowledgable on computers thought i'd ask the forums for help.

Here is my build:

Graphics card: Geforce gtx 570
Motherboard: Asrock z77 extreme 4
CPU: Intel core i5-3470
Memory: Ares gskill 8g (2x)
Storage: Samsung spinpoint f3 1tb 7200rpm
PSU: Corsair TX650

If my PSU is not able to handle my build, what should i be looking to get instead of the tx650 ?

Hi - Not to worry - that PSU is more than you need, you'll be fine.

Tom

that is a fairly power hungry card and can get close to 400w power draw(total system)
in gaming, but your PSU still has headroom to spare.
a b ) Power supply
December 29, 2012 2:51:01 PM

Your build shouldn't even need 300W so any good PSU over 400W should be perfectly safe.

AFAIK, Corsair is one of the generally safe PSU brands to buy. When in doubt, check reviews (hardwaresecrets and johnnyguru have tons of 'em) for your specific model or nearest match.
Related resources
December 29, 2012 3:28:41 PM

ok, well then i guess i bought a bad PSU then since i cant seem to get it to work with the build i got.
a c 260 ) Power supply
December 29, 2012 3:39:08 PM

miriam3 said:
ok, well then i guess i bought a bad PSU then since i cant seem to get it to work with the build i got.

It is possible it is bad, but unlikely if it's a new Corsair. Please be sure to check all connections,
and even check online tutorials about hook up. If then it is still bad, then you need
to return it. Corsair is excellent on warranty support.

You have plenty of power with that unit, so it's either def or you missed a connection.

I used this one when I did mine:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/362

Tom

btw - It's possible something else is bad, ram, etc.
a b ) Power supply
December 29, 2012 4:00:03 PM

Check for misplaced or missing studs under the motherboard that may be shorting the motherboard to the motherboard tray.

Make sure both the ATX and ATX12V/EPS power cables are plugged in.
Make sure the PSU's hard-switch is in the 'On' position (people sometimes forget about it)
Make sure your soft-switch is plugged in the PWR_ON motherboard header

The motherboard's 5VSB LED should light up as soon as you flip the PSU's hard-switch in the On position after plugging it into wall+motherboard. If it doesn't, either the PSU isn't getting power or is defective. (There is also a slight possibility that the motherboard's 5VSB LED may be defective but this is rather unlikely.)

If your PC still fails to turn on after double-checking all of the above, it may be time to start swapping components around to find out which one needs RMA.
!