view icons by date created

Is there a way to choose "view icons by date created" which retains the date
that the file was created when it is moved to a different folder? At the
moment it appears that if I copy and paste files to a different folder "the
date created" becomes the date when the files were transferred to the new
folder.

For pictures this is possible since you are able to view them by the date
the picture was taken (as opposed to "created"). Is there some way to
permanently attach date information to a non picture file?

Thanks in advance

Sam
3 answers Last reply
More about view icons date created

    I would also be interested to know if there is a way to attach Date Picture
    Taken to a file. Sometimes after editing an image, this info gets lost, and
    I would like to restore it (or at least an approximation to it as I wouldn't
    know the exact time of day, just the date and roughly the time)

    I think it is known as EXIF data - not positive.
    --
    Cheers,
    Trevor L.

    Sam Lewis wrote:
    > Is there a way to choose "view icons by date created" which retains
    > the date that the file was created when it is moved to a different
    > folder? At the moment it appears that if I copy and paste files to a
    > different folder "the date created" becomes the date when the files
    > were transferred to the new folder.
    >
    > For pictures this is possible since you are able to view them by the
    > date the picture was taken (as opposed to "created"). Is there some
    > way to permanently attach date information to a non picture file?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Sam

    http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

    "Trevor L." <tandcl@homemail.com.au> wrote in

    Using Windows XP right click on the file and then goto Properties then
    Summary.

    > I would also be interested to know if there is a way to attach Date
    > Picture Taken to a file. Sometimes after editing an image, this info
    > gets lost, and I would like to restore it (or at least an
    > approximation to it as I wouldn't know the exact time of day, just the
    > date and roughly the time)
    >
    > I think it is known as EXIF data - not positive.

    Nowhere in Summary does "Date Picture Taken" appear.

    I have found a program called Exifer which I will experiment with. I think
    it does the job

    --
    Cheers,
    Trevor L., WIP (Web Interested Person)

    Quest wrote:
    > "Trevor L." <tandcl@homemail.com.au> wrote in
    >
    > Using Windows XP right click on the file and then goto Properties then
    > Summary.
    >

    >> I would also be interested to know if there is a way to attach Date
    >> Picture Taken to a file. Sometimes after editing an image, this info
    >> gets lost, and I would like to restore it (or at least an
    >> approximation to it as I wouldn't know the exact time of day, just
    >> the date and roughly the time)
    >>
    >> I think it is known as EXIF data - not positive.

Configuration Microsoft Customization Icons Windows XP