Sign in with
Your question

Help Finding A New LGA775 Please

Last response: in CPUs
December 29, 2012 3:14:59 PM

My PC was ran with a defective cpu fan and i'm assuming the the cpu fried. anyways, i know it's older but the pc was good to me. alot of decent parts that all work just fine. i'd rather keep as much of the components that work fine if theres a more plausible route than just swapping the cpu. anyways here are my specs. so i'll atleast need a new cpu and fan. thank you guys. oh, hopefully i can get an option of the best and the best bang for the buck. like to get the most out of my pc... thank you guys.

ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80570E8400

ASUS EAH4850/HTDI/512M Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5

More about : finding lga775

December 29, 2012 3:34:36 PM

From what I understand in your post... I believe just getting a New CPU+fan will be your prime solution. There is not much more to upgrade really. Or.... well not "worth" upgrading.

These are your options;

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=EN...

Heatsink and fan included if you do not wish to upgrade. If overclocking, get an upgraded fan. Why did your system not autoshut off when the CPU overheated?
m
l
December 29, 2012 3:35:35 PM

maybe give more details on what's happening to your PC, possible that there is another solution to your problem

if you wish to do some upgrade, you could just... keep track of some websites like tigerdirect or newegg and keep checking their clearance items once in a while, look for a video card (careful to get compatible card to your mobo, dont think you can go over 2.1pci-e although i did not look into it)
I bought a replacement card for my old computer on clearance it was marked down from 140$ to 35$.
m
l
Related resources
December 29, 2012 4:12:15 PM

You should probably invest in a newer ivybridge or sandy bridge chip, you can either spend $270-300 on a cpu, motherboard and drr3 memory, or spend $200 replacing your old chip. Migrating to a new chipset would be your best option in terms of performance, if you aren't planning on doing any overclocking i wouldn't worry about buying an OEM heatsink, just make sure all of your c-states are enabled in bios and if your really paranoid about overheating, run realtemp with an alarm for when your temps get to high.
m
l
December 29, 2012 5:03:06 PM

gussrtk said:
maybe give more details on what's happening to your PC, possible that there is another solution to your problem

if you wish to do some upgrade, you could just... keep track of some websites like tigerdirect or newegg and keep checking their clearance items once in a while, look for a video card (careful to get compatible card to your mobo, dont think you can go over 2.1pci-e although i did not look into it)
I bought a replacement card for my old computer on clearance it was marked down from 140$ to 35$.

thanks guss, don't remember much of when it happened. my daughter said it was crashing alot on her. i built it, but wasn't witness to much of the original problems. when i was made aware i seen the cpu fan wasn't working so i bought a new one. i think i didn't hook it up right because it started having problems again, opened her up and two of the fan prongs came undone and wasn't pressed snuggley to the cpu. and it wouldn't load all the way to the windows homepage. now i tried plugging it in after atleast a year and it loads to a black screen with white letters that says something about press any key to reboot then reboots to a black screen that says reboot and select your proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.... i looked all over for my windows disk and couldn't find it.

m
l
December 29, 2012 5:08:39 PM

hdeezie80 said:
You should probably invest in a newer ivybridge or sandy bridge chip, you can either spend $270-300 on a cpu, motherboard and drr3 memory, or spend $200 replacing your old chip. Migrating to a new chipset would be your best option in terms of performance, if you aren't planning on doing any overclocking i wouldn't worry about buying an OEM heatsink, just make sure all of your c-states are enabled in bios and if your really paranoid about overheating, run realtemp with an alarm for when your temps get to high.

in migrating to a new chipset, outside the case, is there anything i would be able to use from my old pc? i would hate to trash a bunch of perfectly good working components. moneys not so much an issue, i'm just frugal i guess. thank you HD
m
l
December 29, 2012 5:26:54 PM

XkawN said:
thanks guss, don't remember much of when it happened. my daughter said it was crashing alot on her. i built it, but wasn't witness to much of the original problems. when i was made aware i seen the cpu fan wasn't working so i bought a new one. i think i didn't hook it up right because it started having problems again, opened her up and two of the fan prongs came undone and wasn't pressed snuggley to the cpu. and it wouldn't load all the way to the windows homepage. now i tried plugging it in after atleast a year and it loads to a black screen with white letters that says something about press any key to reboot then reboots to a black screen that says reboot and select your proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.... i looked all over for my windows disk and couldn't find it.

sounds like you have some bios settings messed up. I would say... go into your bios and see which is the PRIMARY BOOT device. It just doesnt sound like cpu problem.

my friend had a similar problem. he had his 1st boot device set to Floppy.. but he had no floppy drive... (have no idea why.. but factory setting i guess) So i set it to DVD drive first then HDD and it booted up just fine. Main thing is make sure your HDD is hooked up and is recognized in bios. maybe you knocked a cable off or something when you opened it up?

and honestly if your kid uses it, it's better to just fix it up for it to be used, cuz then you dont have to worry about it as much since it's not a "new" computer... more worry free

The crashing sounds more like... windows error? but then again, it could crash cuz it was overheating!

=============================================================

im not saying that there is NOTHING wrong with the cpu, but it just points to other things being a problem before CPU... if your system is not configured properly.. then it wont work anyways >.>
m
l
a c 117 à CPUs
December 29, 2012 6:03:35 PM

gussrtk said:
The crashing sounds more like... windows error? but then again, it could crash cuz it was overheating!

Or crash from OS file corruption from all the previous overheating-induced crashes.

I know I trashed my OS twice (about one year apart) while trying to overclock my E8400 to 3.6GHz just for fun after installing a 212+ on it... worked fine in memtest86/prime95 for hours but the OS started crashing and spewing out boot-time errors after a few days of light/moderate use.
m
l
December 29, 2012 6:15:34 PM

well i have a problem where my windows starts crashing after a year.. and i have to do a clean install, has nothing to do with my components. cuz after clean install always works good. Im making suggestions, trying to find the problem"S" because there is not only "one" problem all the time.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2012 6:48:13 PM

hello...EBAY for your S775 search... gives you the best price and options for them... BUT...
1) have you solved your FAN/CPU problem first? get a good or tested CPU fan...

2)Make sure all fans are turning... POWER SUPPLY...Your Graphics Card too!!!... they should all spinnup when you press the power button.

3) if all is good your computer should post something...

4 ) if it posts a message... the next thing we want to do is open up the BIO's screen to see what components are talking to your motherboard and we can go farther... to get into your BIO's can differ from motherboard to motherboard... F2, F12, or DEL buttons at power up...
m
l
January 5, 2013 5:53:29 PM

fans running good.

went to bios and it was booting to floppy first... i set it ti hard drive first and now when i boot up it says "disk read error".

thanks for being patient. i work alot of hours. would like spend today working on this. it's my day off :) 
m
l
January 6, 2013 6:11:55 PM

So, sounds like it may be a hard drive issue. Any advise on where to start trouble shooting? I read a post on here, but it never really explained how to go through the steps. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.
m
l
!