[Q] HOWTO use/employ racial passive spells?

How do I 'enable' or 'use' a passive spell? For example, the 'human spirit'
is a racially passive spell. What does this mean?

Cheers,

Michael

In <drGdnfQi77qdMHTfRVn-tw@comcast.com> "Michael Peterson" <mtp1032@comcast.net> writes:

> How do I 'enable' or 'use' a passive spell? For example, the 'human spirit'
> is a racially passive spell. What does this mean?

Passive abilities are always "on". You cannot activate nor deactivate
them. Using your example, Human characters simply always have a bonus
to Spirit.

There are activated racial abilities, for instance Escape Artist for
Gnomes, or Will of the Forsaken for Undead. To use these, drag the icon
from your spellbook down to your hotbar, then click on it like any other
ability.

--
John Gordon "It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese."
gordon@panix.com

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:13:53 -0700, "Michael Peterson"
<mtp1032@comcast.net> scribed into the ether:

>How do I 'enable' or 'use' a passive spell? For example, the 'human spirit'
>is a racially passive spell. What does this mean?

It means that it is always on and you don't need to do anything to use it.

Try doing a mouseover of the ability and giving it a read.

Some races have activateable abilities...AFAIK, humans do not, but I don't
deal with alliance dung, so I could be wrong.

Matt Frisch wrote:
> Some races have activateable abilities...AFAIK, humans do not, but I don't
> deal with alliance dung, so I could be wrong.

They do. Perception, gives you a boost to spotting stealthed enemies for
20 seconds, 2 or 3 minute cooldown..

Cheers!
David...

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 22:33:52 +1000, David Carson
<david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> scribed into the ether:

>Matt Frisch wrote:
>> Some races have activateable abilities...AFAIK, humans do not, but I don't
>> deal with alliance dung, so I could be wrong.
>
>They do. Perception, gives you a boost to spotting stealthed enemies for
>20 seconds, 2 or 3 minute cooldown..

Ah, no wonder I don't know about it...it's an ability completely devoid of
any utility to me.

Matt Frisch wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 22:33:52 +1000, David Carson
> <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> scribed into the ether:
>>They do. Perception, gives you a boost to spotting stealthed enemies for
>>20 seconds, 2 or 3 minute cooldown..
>
> Ah, no wonder I don't know about it...it's an ability completely devoid of
> any utility to me.

Of course, you're on an RP server, aren't you? No need to worry about
spotting incoming rogues, they probably just want to invite you to a
picnic anyway.

Cheers!
David...

David Carson wrote:

> Matt Frisch wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 22:33:52 +1000, David Carson
>> <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> scribed into the ether:
>>
>>> They do. Perception, gives you a boost to spotting stealthed enemies
>>> for 20 seconds, 2 or 3 minute cooldown..
>>

>> Ah, no wonder I don't know about it...it's an ability completely
>> devoid of
>> any utility to me.
>

> Of course, you're on an RP server, aren't you? No need to worry about
> spotting incoming rogues, they probably just want to invite you to a
> picnic anyway.
>
> Cheers!
> David...

Let's not talk about picnic here!

Yeah, perception is useful - but you gotta feel real paranoid or have
spotted the rogue from afar before he stealthed to think about using that.

note to self: flare every 30 seconds. activate track hidden at
nezingwary's encampment. lay a freezing trap before drinking/going afk.
lay a freezing trap as first action when recovering your corpse. flare
being the second. Grow a deep hate for shadowmelded aimed shot corpse
campers.

"David Carson" <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote in message
> Matt Frisch wrote:
> > On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 22:33:52 +1000, David Carson
> > <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> scribed into the ether:
> >>They do. Perception, gives you a boost to spotting stealthed enemies for
> >>20 seconds, 2 or 3 minute cooldown..
> >
> > Ah, no wonder I don't know about it...it's an ability completely devoid of
> > any utility to me.
>
> Of course, you're on an RP server, aren't you? No need to worry about
> spotting incoming rogues, they probably just want to invite you to a
> picnic anyway.

He's a hunter. Their anti-rogue abilities are already much better than
perception.

And perception itself is not very useful at its intended purpose. The
duration is too short and the recharge is too long for hitting it randomly to
find rogues. Its only useful if you already know the rogue is there.

--
Davian / Dearic (Bloodhoof)

Davian wrote:

> "David Carson" <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote in message
>
>>Matt Frisch wrote:
>>
>>>On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 22:33:52 +1000, David Carson
>>><david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> scribed into the ether:

>>>Ah, no wonder I don't know about it...it's an ability completely devoid of
>>>any utility to me.
>>
>>Of course, you're on an RP server, aren't you? No need to worry about
>>spotting incoming rogues, they probably just want to invite you to a
>>picnic anyway.
>>

> He's a hunter. Their anti-rogue abilities are already much better than
> perception.
>
> And perception itself is not very useful at its intended purpose. The
> duration is too short and the recharge is too long for hitting it randomly to
> find rogues. Its only useful if you already know the rogue is there.

Human hunters?

HAXX0R!

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 19:03:12 +1000, David Carson
<david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> scribed into the ether:

>Matt Frisch wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 22:33:52 +1000, David Carson
>> <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> scribed into the ether:
>>>They do. Perception, gives you a boost to spotting stealthed enemies for
>>>20 seconds, 2 or 3 minute cooldown..
>>
>> Ah, no wonder I don't know about it...it's an ability completely devoid of
>> any utility to me.
>
>Of course, you're on an RP server, aren't you?

No, I simply never PvP, ever.

Babe Bridou wrote:
> Yeah, perception is useful - but you gotta feel real paranoid or have
> spotted the rogue from afar before he stealthed to think about using that.

What kills Perception for me is that my Human character is my Rogue. You
can't use Perception from stealth without breaking it. If I know a Rogue
is about and I'm hunting for him, I've gotta be stealthed.

But I do think it would be genuinely overpowered for Human Rogues to be
able to use it and stay stealthed, sadly.

Cheers!
David...

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 10:21:05 +1000, David Carson
<david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> scribed into the ether:

>Babe Bridou wrote:
>> Yeah, perception is useful - but you gotta feel real paranoid or have
>> spotted the rogue from afar before he stealthed to think about using that.
>
>What kills Perception for me is that my Human character is my Rogue. You
>can't use Perception from stealth without breaking it. If I know a Rogue
>is about and I'm hunting for him, I've gotta be stealthed.

Wouldn't be the only one who got a fairly useless racial ability.

Orc Warriors don't benefit much from bonus pet damage.

Trolls don't benefit from throwing weapon specialization...at all.

etc.

"Grow a deep hate for shadowmelded aimed shot corpse campers."

Ooh. That's wicked. I'm thinking only Rogues could benefit from
attacks from stealth, but you're right, shadow melded NE hunter simply
staying put with an eye towards likely rez point could do the same.

Good idea. Thanks.

Reminds me of the time I suggested in public how nasty it was for horde
types to takes rogues onto the boat out of Menethil and ganking folks
on their way back to Auberdine.

I said "That's bad" and an undead rogue type said "Good idea" and sure
enough the boat was haunted by him for weeks after. That's far worse
than priests mind controlling folks off the bridge that leads out of
Arathi into the Wetlands.

HOWEVER: Corpse camping is bad. In some instances, to discourage a
pestilence that won't remove itself from an area otherwise, it serves a
use. And when corpse campers corpses are camped, that's poetic. In
general though, kill and move on.