Is my CPU causing sometimes high or sometimes low fps in games?

Okay, well ever since I've had this computer I built, it's occasionally been getting super high fps, but most of the time it's low.

CPU = AMD Phenom II X4 - 3.2ghz
GPU = GTX 460 1GB
RAM = 8GB
PSU = 575W
MOBO = Biostar A880GZ (not the best)

So I'll be playing something like Skyrim or SR3, and whenever I turn on my computer, it pretty much determines if I'm gonna have bad FPS or good FPS. When it's good, I can run Skyrim maxed out, 50+fps, and SR3 Maxed out 45+FPS. If it's bad, it'll be around 10-20 for SR3, and 15-25 in Skyrim.

I asked my friend what he thought it was, and he said it was the GPU (which has a warranty), HOWEVER, I traded GPU's with a friend which was a little better than mine, and his only ran it 2 fps faster (but I was still getting the lower fps).

So... any suggestions? I believe I have a warranty on my CPU, if that's the problem. Thanks
15 answers Last reply
More about causing high games
  1. What is that 575 watt PSU?
  2. check your temps while playing maybe heat is the problem.
  3. spaufkop said:
    check your temps while playing maybe heat is the problem.

One of my fans has gone bad, but it's been like that for awhile. So I guess I'll check it and get back to this thread. What would be considered high?
  4. Your video card is pretty old and I would guess that it probably the problem even more than the CPU.
  5. 90+ maybe the card downclocks itself to protect against heat. giving lower fps
  6. rds1220 said:
    Your video card is pretty old and I would guess that it probably the problem even more than the CPU.

Well the thing is, I changed out the GPU to an EVGA 550 or 560 ti 2GB card, and it only ran a few fps faster. So my guess is the CPU, but I just want to be sure before I spend $100 on a 965 BE
  7. The comment on heat throttling is valid so check the temps both CPU and GPU.
  8. you have 3.2ghz the 965 has 3.4ghz the 200mhz will not make a difference
  9. ^^agreed, does your mobo support am3+ if so for £100~ you can get a fx6300 wich should be an upgrade rather than a sidegrade
  10. rolli59 said:
    The comment on heat throttling is valid so check the temps both CPU and GPU.

Okay, well I'll check it out right now. I'll get back to you all within 10 minutes.
  11. rolli59 said:
    The comment on heat throttling is valid so check the temps both CPU and GPU.

Uhh, I'm benchmarking with Skyrim

Okay, if this clears anything up, I'm getting about 27-32 FPS outside, 60FPS in caves, interior areas, and 15-30 FPS in large cities (depending what I'm looking at, when I look at NPC's, it goes down)

My max GPU heat is: 58C
  12. then you are fine remember skyrim only uses 2 cores i believe. its not optimized for pc.
  13. That is a fine GPU temp.
  14. As Rolli said for a GPU 58 degrees is fine. My GTX 550Ti would go to 60-65 degree's under load.
  15. Okay well, my question wasn't really if 58 degrees is okay. :P.

But what component is causing this? I can pretty much replace anything, and all my parts except PSU are under warranty, so if anything is wrong, that's fine. I don't overclock
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs FPS