Sign in with
Your question

Computer Powers On, Doesn't Work

Last response: in Components
December 29, 2012 4:14:31 PM

Hi, everyone. Thanks in advance for whatever help you might be able to give me.

So, that's the problem. It powers up, but no video, no audio, keypboard and mouse lights don't turn on, etc. GPU fan spins, and all the case and cpu fans do too. Except I keep hearing some inconsistant fan speed type noise, which appears to be coming from the cpu fan, or(god forbid) the cpu water pump.

I already changed the PSU and the problem persists, same insconsistent fan speed type noise. The mobo I have is just 2 months old, and it would suck to have to replace it.

Here's my build:
Corsair 600T White Case
MSI 970A G46 mobo
AMD FX-8350 CPU
Sapphire HD5870 GPU
16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
OCZ Fatal1ty 550W PSU
1TB WD Caviar Black 7200RPM

More about : computer powers work

December 29, 2012 4:20:54 PM

HrodHerich said:
Hi, everyone. Thanks in advance for whatever help you might be able to give me.

So, that's the problem. It powers up, but no video, no audio, keypboard and mouse lights don't turn on, etc. GPU fan spins, and all the case and cpu fans do too. Except I keep hearing some inconsistant fan speed type noise, which appears to be coming from the cpu fan, or(god forbid) the cpu water pump.

I already changed the PSU and the problem persists, same insconsistent fan speed type noise. The mobo I have is just 2 months old, and it would suck to have to replace it.

Here's my build:
Corsair 600T White Case
MSI 970A G46 mobo
AMD FX-8350 CPU
Sapphire HD5870 GPU
16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
OCZ Fatal1ty 550W PSU
1TB WD Caviar Black 7200RPM

Try another video card and ram, also, unplug all unused things like the harddrive, fans, sound cards ETC.

Ram is quite often the cause of a failing system, but it could be the GPU or even CPU, but it's very rare for a CPU to go wrong.

Hope i helped! :) 
m
l
Related resources
December 29, 2012 5:57:09 PM

Thanks for replying so fast, guys. I just tried plugging everything out except the HSF and the CPU. I hear no beeps. But I don't think my MSI 970A G46 mobo can beep. The only thing that can indicate anything is the set of 4 blue LED lights on top of the mobo, all of which turn on and never blink.

According to my mobos instructions, this means that the CPU is in 4 phase power mode.
m
l
January 2, 2013 12:55:39 PM

Htodherich, i sent you a pm with a question about the board. I have had these same problems as well. Bios on them is very fragile. Take everything out, set the mobo on a counter or some surface anti static. Plug power supply in, and power switch to board. With just cpu and 1stick of ram, cleat cmos, and turn it on. See if it works. Make 100% sure there are no extra case mount posts under the board.
m
l
January 2, 2013 8:31:36 PM

I solved it, though I don't know exactly how, I did reset everything I could on the board.. When Started breadboarding I discovered that when I removed the mobo's battery I didn't put it in right. After that, though, I had a stick of RAM that didn't work properly, but started working after a couple of tries.

I was using a crappy Diablotek PSU for more wattage, which I immediately replaced with the OCZ I listed.
m
l
!