What CPU can go with my MOBO? I am very confused:/

nathanfrabott

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
So i am fairly new to computer hardware, and i am looking to slowly update my parts, my current CPU is a Intel Pentium 2.6 GHz dual-core and i am looking for an i5 processor or at least a very good i3 processor to replace my current one. The only problem is that i don't really know how to tell what kind of MOBO i have, i downloaded a program to tell me i just don't know how to read it properly enough to do my own diagnosis. Would someone please tell me what CPU (the cheapest you can find) is compatible with my MOBO? Here is what my current MOBO is(i think) correct me if i am wrong and i will post something else: Thank you in advance for taking the time to help me!

Motherboard::
Manufacturer:pegatron

Model: Benicia 1.01

Chipset: intel P35/G33/G31 Rev:A2

Southbridge:Intel 82801IR (ICH9R) Rev:02

LPCIO: Fintek F8000

BIOS:
Brand: American Megatrends Inc

Version:5.39

Date: 05/06/2009

you have a 775 socket motherboard. for an i3/i5 you need a socket 1155 along with a ram upgrade to ddr3 as 1155 boards dont use ddr2.
my guess is a fair bit of your system will need replacing. its likely you will want a new gfx card a new cpu/motherboard/ram and a psu this is your bare essentials.
most none enthusiast 775 systems came with 350w psu's but if you want a decent gfx card you really want a minimum of 550w from a good brand with 80+bronze efficiency...
cpu any quad core at 3.0ghz or faster ram ddr3 1600 @1.35v with lower latencies is better. most are cas9 or c9 but some are c8 and c7 these are more efficient per cycle so even though there the same speed as the c9 they will be 3 and 5% better as far as memory bandwidth usage goes.
gfx. a gtx 650 should be the bare minimum to aim for yes there are lots of alternatives but most of them are older and less powerful for roughly the same money.
you can use the numbers to give a rough idea of perfomance. 4** 5** 6**
are the series. *50 *60 *70 and so on are the iterations in that series.
often you will find that a higher series card with a lower iteration number is actually weaker such as the gtx 480 will beat out a 550. where it gets confusing for some is that the closer the numbers the closer the performance. for instance the gtx 560 is pretty much identical in performance to the gtx 650 or the gtx 470 (its a rule of thumb that sorta works but not always)... but the 650 winds out as it has newer /better optimized instructions.
currently the best bang for buck card is the 660ti which gives gtx 570 perfomance. the gtx 560ti is a cheaper alternate but is fast becoming obsolete.