Tags:
  • New Build
  • Desktops
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
August 14, 2012 4:10:52 PM

Hi guys!
I am planning on building a new desktop and I was wondering what kind of cooling method I should implement for the CPU (I've heard that the new Ivy Bridge cores heat up quickly, but I'm not planning on OC-ing much.

Intel i7-3770K Processor
Asus HD7970-DC2T-3GD5
GSkill TridentX F3-2666C11D-8GTXD
Samsung 128GB 2.5-inch SSD 830 Series
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Hard Drive
Corsair HX Series HX750 Power Supply

I would also like to know what is the exact difference between the HD7970-DC2T-3GD5 and the HD7970-3GD5?
Also what mobo would you guys recommend from P8Z77-V PRO, P8Z77-V PRO/THUNDERBOLT, P8Z77-V DELUXE, MAXIMUS V GENE?
For the chassis, I'm looking at corsairs 550d and the silverstone ps06? Any recommendations there?

I dont think I'm missing any components other than the optical drive, which doesn't really matter for me, but if I am, let me know!

Thanks!

More about : desktop build advice needed

August 14, 2012 4:19:59 PM

What do you plan on using this build for? What's your budget? I may be able to piece together a better build.
m
l
August 14, 2012 4:42:35 PM

I'd use it mostly for gaming (all the mainstream stuff you can think of), with some animation/flash and video editing, nothing too hardcore. As for budget, I don't really have one, but I guess I'd like to have a PC that I wont need to replace for quite some time. I don't mind upgrading if I would need to (add another graphics card to run in CF/SLI), and stuff, but yea! For example I built a PC like 3 years ago with the i875k and the HD 5670 and a 80GB ssd (back then these were pretty expensive) and it still runs perfectly fine. However I'm moving to the states next year and I thought it'd be nice to purchase the parts here (I live in taiwan where these things are pretty cheap) and buy the chassis when I get back to the states and put it together there
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

August 14, 2012 4:53:53 PM

Hm, try this...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($407.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec Eleven Hundred ATX Full Tower Case ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1243.90
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-14 12:50 EDT-0400)

You mentioned you'll be doing light video editing. I don't see the necessity in an i7 if that's the case. The i5 with 16gb of RAM should be able to handle that no problem. You will also get the same performance out of a gtx 670 in comparison to the hd 7970 for $150 less.

If you go with my case recommendation, you'll want to grab a couple extra 120mm case fans. Keep in mind, this case only comes with 2 exhaust fans and has room for up to 7 additional 120mm fans. The 200mm fan that comes with the case has blue LEDs.

Everything else looks good. Feel free to tweak some of my recommendations to suit your needs. If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.
August 14, 2012 5:14:16 PM

thanks! I have 2 questions. does it make a difference when using prigrams like autocad/solidworks whether i use an i5 or i7? i usually let rendering sit overnight, but there are times when i prefer not to have to do so. would it create a significant difference? also, is it necessary to use a full tower case?
thanks
m
l
August 14, 2012 5:22:28 PM

I second the Evo for a reasonable OC. The "chip lottery" will determine your max OC but you should be able to get 4.2 to 4.4GHz with good temps and "auto" voltage. 4.5 forced me to reboot anf I wasn't comfortable adjusting volts. I did some testing and 3.9 gave me headroom in BF3 so I dropped back to that since it's the most CPU-intensive game I have.
m
l
August 14, 2012 5:36:05 PM

it seems like hyperthreading is only useful for rendering (?) but i can't seem to get an idea of just how much faster it is..
m
l
August 14, 2012 6:26:49 PM

jhnling said:
thanks! I have 2 questions. does it make a difference when using prigrams like autocad/solidworks whether i use an i5 or i7? i usually let rendering sit overnight, but there are times when i prefer not to have to do so. would it create a significant difference? also, is it necessary to use a full tower case?
thanks

If you're referring to the Antec Case, it's not technically considered a full tower case. It's more or less a "super" mid tower case. It's not necessary to use a full tower case, but this case is under $100, has high airflow potential, great aesthetics, has rubber grommets for improved cable management, as well as lots of room behind the mobo tray for routing cables. You're more than welcome to alter my build recommendation. I'd even encourage that you research some cases yourself. Look for something you find absolutely appealing, has high airflow and good cable management.

Quote:
it seems like hyperthreading is only useful for rendering (?) but i can't seem to get an idea of just how much faster it is..

It's not going to be significantly faster for light video work. I'm guessing you plan on doing gameplay for youtube? If so, the i5 w/ 16gb of RAM is all you'll need.
m
l
August 15, 2012 2:19:54 AM

Aite. Ill check out some cases, but thanks for the help!
m
l
August 15, 2012 2:20:19 AM

Best answer selected by jhnling.
m
l
!