Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Vram cooling on the HD5850

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 25, 2012 1:52:26 PM

Hello, I was wondering about cooling the 5850 with a aftermarket cooler since 1 of the fans died on my 5850 and can't be oiled, Should I get heat sinks for my memory on my 5850 or are they fine without extra cooling? I do have a 110cfm fan blowing on to the card from the side of the case, and I do Overclock it. This is the card btw http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : vram cooling hd5850

June 25, 2012 2:08:36 PM

if there was a heatsink on the vram originally then I would get some heatsinks to stick on there if your aftermarket cooling doesnt make contact with the vram if there wasnt contact with the vram and the original heatsink then you should be good
June 25, 2012 2:33:04 PM

There is no contact with the stock heatsink and the mem chips, But i wonder if that could be why my OC can't go past 1200mhz. I can get 1195mhz mem and 940 core stable, but on certain driver like the 12.4 its not stable, 12.3 I can get 1230mhz stable no crashes at all.

Thanks drums.
Related resources
June 25, 2012 2:37:53 PM

what aftermarket cooler are you gonna get for the card? does that have contact with the vram? if not you could always pick up a set of vram heatsinks and stick them on there and see if that helps...it may or may not but it would give you peace of mind that your ram isnt gonna over heat...it couldnt hurt and it ram sinks are not that expensive

here is a set of nice copper ones that you could stick on just make sure it doesnt interfere with your new cooler

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15573/vid-184/Akust_C...
June 25, 2012 2:48:22 PM

Well you might get a kick outta this, But I found a guy who can make me a bracket for my Corsair H60 to mount it onto the 5850, I replaced the H60 with an H100 and the H60 is doing nothing but sitting in the closet, so since my stock cooler fans are kinda showing its age, why not use the H60, lol
June 25, 2012 2:59:44 PM

If that guy has some aluminum plate on hand that isn't too thick or paper think he could cut and shape it to where you can bolt that plate onto your card to cool the vram. If it is thick enough he could pass it through a machine a few times cutting into the plate just enough to make fins to give it some surface area that will cool the vram very nicely. If not aluminum there is copper plate but it is hard to get and expensive.
June 25, 2012 3:03:32 PM

Quote:
The main issue is cooling the VRM's, these are equally as important as the GPU it's self.

Very easily solved.
June 25, 2012 3:42:06 PM

nforce4max said:
If that guy has some aluminum plate on hand that isn't too thick or paper think he could cut and shape it to where you can bolt that plate onto your card to cool the vram. If it is thick enough he could pass it through a machine a few times cutting into the plate just enough to make fins to give it some surface area that will cool the vram very nicely. If not aluminum there is copper plate but it is hard to get and expensive.

Im sure though the time and effort put into this that it would just be easier and more convenient to just purchase a set of vram heatsinks online...unless of course this guy is a master machinist and has all this on hand but I doubt this is the case
June 25, 2012 3:45:42 PM

drums101 said:
Im sure though the time and effort put into this that it would just be easier and more convenient to just purchase a set of vram heatsinks online...unless of course this guy is a master machinist and has all this on hand but I doubt this is the case

Not all coolers have enough clearance for vram coolers even low profiles ones.
June 25, 2012 3:53:59 PM

If I do have this guy make a bracket, I should have room to mount vram heatsinks, but I could be wrong. The block of the H60 is quite big as its not really for a video card, I would end up using the Intel brackets since the AMD brackes would require more work other then just making a flat pice of aluminum with holes.

I do have a H50 in another AMD pc, I could easily swap out the the H60 for the H50 and mount that to the 5850, but the pump its self would take 3 slots and I don't know if I have the room, I would need to measure for clearance.

Best solution

June 25, 2012 3:56:05 PM

Viking2121 said:
If I do have this guy make a bracket, I should have room to mount vram heatsinks, but I could be wrong. The block of the H60 is quite big as its not really for a video card, I would end up using the Intel brackets since the AMD brackes would require more work other then just making a flat pice of aluminum with holes.

I do have a H50 in another AMD pc, I could easily swap out the the H60 for the H50 and mount that to the 5850, but the pump its self would take 3 slots and I don't know if I have the room, I would need to measure for clearance.

If he has the materials then he could make it as one big plate that mounts the block but also cools everything else. One piece that is less trouble and back in the old days such designs were more common place.
June 25, 2012 4:00:49 PM

nforce4max said:
If he has the materials then he could make it as one big plate that mounts the block but also cools everything else. One piece that is less trouble and back in the old days such designs were more common place.

Yeah, I was thinking that as well, make things a bit easy, I did see a forum on Overclock.net where a guy made a bracket for his GTX470 I think, and he left a big part of the metal on for a 120mm fan, Most likely for the power management area, I could see if we could come up with something like that, since the vram area has next to no air flow as it is besides the side case fan blowing at the card
June 25, 2012 4:03:10 PM

Good, anything more than what it has now will extend the life of the card by up to a few years :) 
June 25, 2012 4:11:18 PM

Thanks guys for your time, Worst case I can always mount a fan to the card with zip ties, lol.

I really don't need a new cooler, with just 1 fan running my card idles at 36c and full load 63c with the OC. Still isn't bad, but why not mod the card, Im board anyway.

Thanks again!
June 25, 2012 4:16:09 PM

Best answer selected by Viking2121.
!