For 1080p gaming is sli required

Status
Not open for further replies.

anish449

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
i am planning to get gtx660ti for 1080p gaming, do u think i should provide provision for future sli ing like
sli supported motherboard
higher wattage power supply
thanks in advance

anish449

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011

i want to game decently at high settings(ultra high not required) ie infact it should be playable.i am upgrading my 8 yr old pc, so certain degree of future proofing is required, as i plan to keep the new build for a period not less than 5 yr
thanks for the reply

Hazle

Distinguished

not a lot of games nowadays has such strict hardware requirements at 1080p. even with Metro 2033, you can still get that nice mix of pretty graphics and decent fps with some bit of compromise. and considering how most PC games are also optimized for the consoles, the next gen being rumored to be using current or last year's PC tech and is supposed to last for 4-5 years, i'd say you're good to go with a single 660. consider as well that some, if not most here are still using a Core 2 Duo with maybe an 8800GTX. now maybe you have a triple monitor setup or plans to, then yes, an SLI makes sense.

my personal advice: don't spend so much for the sake of future proofing alone. note the 660 is rumored to cost $300+. granted, 5 years is a tall order for a gaming PC, but there's really no telling what to expect then. you might find it cheaper getting a great CPU and a 660 now, and buy a new card for less than the original price of the 660 and for better performance 3 years from now, than buy everything now for, say $2500, when a $1000 PC 3 years from now performs just as good as yours.

master_nz

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012

I agree with you on the PSU and sli being overkill for 1090p gaming. I should have spend that extra $100 or so for a better PSU, especially when you start thinking of adding more cards.

Its quite standard these days for motherboards to support sli or crossfire. I don't you should worry about dual card solutions IMO. By the time you decide your currently video card can't hand current games, you old card will be hard to find and better single card solutions will be out.

G

sli required for 1080 gaming?
no.

sli required to improve 1080 gaming?
depending on the card, yes. ( a lower end card could just be replaced with a higher end card)

power supply wattage?
no.

power supply quality?
the most important YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.