Newbie alert - Need your help bulding a new rig guys !

Bertrand

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
First of all hi to everyone, i am new to this forums and the sole reason for creating this account was to get an objective and, without a doubt, usefull advice on building my new rig.

First of all i am aiming for high ram memory, 16gb to be more precise. I know this is not so high for someone in the states or other 1st world country, but where i live, that ram is too damn high
When i called the shop for advice i told em the price could reach somewhere in the vicinity of 500 euros ~ 618 u.s. dollars. The offer i got from them is as follows:

-MB MSI H61-P23 Intel H61 (B3) LGA 1155 2xDDR3 1066/1333 - I guess this is the motherboard (yes i am that noob )
-Ram 8Gb ddr3 1333mhz Mushkin Silverline x2
-CPU Intel Core i3 Sandy 1155 2100 3 1GHz 3Mb Box
-HDD Itachi 500gb
-Graphic card not important here.

My main concern regarding this compilation is the compatibility of the ram and the processor. I need the new pc to be able to handle multiple applications at the same time, i am talking about maya rendering while playing, rendering videos, uploading files... My question is, is there any specific motherboard/processor i should be aiming for that is best known in supporting multiple applications at once. I know that high ram is pivotal when it comes to multitasking and running multiple applications at once, and i also heard somewhere that 4 core processors are best for this purpose.

The reason why ur advice is so important for me is coz where i live spending this much money on a pc is a big deal, and i dont want someone from the shop just offering me things they got in oversupply and need to get rid off. I know there are ppl on this forums that know what they are talking about when it comes to hardware components so if u'd take the time to rate this compilation ( or think of a better one in the similar price range) i would be very thankful.

dyc4ha

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Hi and welcome!

I am not familiar with the pricing in Europe, but at least in the US for $620 you can get a significantly better deal.

Antec 300 Case - $55
ASUS P8Z77-V LK Motherboard - $140
Corsair CX430v2 PSU - $45
Intel i7-2600K CPU - $290 (For video rendering, you probably will benefit from extra threads, but if you need to save a bit more, get the i5-3470 for $200)
Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB 1600 - $43
WD Caviar Blue 500GB 7200RPM HDD - $75

Prices from newegg.

Adds up to only about $650, but it is much better than your configuration

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Maybe an i5-3470 with a HD 7750 GPU ($100) might serve you better instead of the i7-2600k. Again, it comes down to the nature of your work, but personally I would go with the GPU option

zhihao50

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
First of all can you maybe fillout a new build form in the system forum. Mainly the budget and where you prefer to get things from.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-31.html

The processor and motherboard is last gen. There is nothing wrong with it as the current generation which is ivy bridge are only better in power efficency and not really any faster. However that will depend on the graphic card you are getting. The intergrated graphic on the new ivy bridge are better but if you are getting a dedicated GPU (which you haven't specified) then that would beat both.

Motherboard is also the lowest tier, in order of increasing functions are h61, h67, p67 z68.
The CPU is 2 physical core with hyperthread making it sorta 4 core. But from what you intend to run I recommand you get a true 4 core CPU, that would be most intel i5.

Edit: The above have a reasonable build. AMD is a good alternative at that price range.

If ram compatibility is a question, the way to check it is to go to the motherboards website, find the motherboard in question, and check for the ram model # on the list of compatible memory