Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Pick parts for Gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
August 14, 2012 7:46:28 PM

So I need help picking parts and I want to save as much money as possible. I plan to play games like Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas and maybe other modern games like Modern Warfare 3. I also want to be able to multitask, like using the internet browser while playing a game.

I've been doing doing a lot of research and here is what I have come up with. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/eDcF

I don't need help choosing the monitor, mouse, keyboard, or operating system. I just want to know if all of the parts will function together. Such as the case being able to fit the parts and the power supply being enough for the graphics card. I want to save as much money as possible so please tell me if there are any parts I can exchange for cheaper and also let me know any other major changes I could make to save money and still be able to play the games I wanted to.

Thanks.

More about : pick parts gaming

a b B Homebuilt system
August 14, 2012 7:59:19 PM

You don't need a sound card. On board graphics are more than adequate for the average user.

If you can push the budget about $20 more, I suggest getting an i3 2120 CPU with a B75 mobo. Or you can OC the CPU you chose pretty well with a Cooler Master Hyper 212+.

Check out Tomshardware Best CPU for the money July Edition:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

With a rebate, you can get a 6850 for the same price as the 7770 you chose. A 6850 will outperform the 7770.

Gigabyte Ultra Durable 6850
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

A bunch of 6850's
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

m
l
August 14, 2012 8:07:02 PM

Oh, I didn't know it would already come with a sound card. I've never actually built a computer before, but I was considering getting one so I just want to be extra sure before I buy. And I thought the Quad Core would be just as good as an i3 or even better? So does everything else check out? I just don't want to buy all of that and it turns out I can't fit the parts together or I am missing something.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
August 14, 2012 8:31:59 PM

Intel outperforms AMD per core. Since games don't typically use more than 1 or 2 cores, having more doesn't mean it's better. The extra cores only really help on photo editing/rendering or other similar programs.

If you want to get an i3 CPU, you'll need an H61, P67 or H67 motherboard.

Most prefer the Cooler Master hyper 212 for best bang for you buck CPU cooler. It works better if you plan to overclock. If you don't, then there is no need. The i3 2120 can't overclock (not without lots of technical knowledge). The CPU cooler you chose would not be compatible with the i3 2120 either.

Anyway, the most important change is to upgrade the GPU, since the CPU you chose isn't a bad choice by any means.
August 14, 2012 8:46:54 PM

moornix said:
Intel outperforms AMD per core. Since games don't typically use more than 1 or 2 cores, having more doesn't mean it's better. The extra cores only really help on photo editing/rendering or other similar programs.

If you want to get an i3 CPU, you'll need an H61, P67 or H67 motherboard.

Most prefer the Cooler Master hyper 212 for best bang for you buck CPU cooler. It works better if you plan to overclock. If you don't, then there is no need. The i3 2120 can't overclock (not without lots of technical knowledge). The CPU cooler you chose would not be compatible with the i3 2120 either.

Anyway, the most important change is to upgrade the GPU, since the CPU you chose isn't a bad choice by any means.

So do you think the GPU I picked is okay? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/eDz9

Also, I am new to this site so I just wanted to ask few questions about it. First, whenever someone posts the time is not right for me. Is there anyway to change the time so it will be correct? I also wanted to know where do I go to change e-mail settings. All I can find is profile settings and nothing else. Thanks.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 14, 2012 8:54:32 PM

The GPU is fine.

The email can be changed by going to the little box on the upper right hand corner and clicking the "profile" tab. In the profile tab you'll see a link saying "Manage my Profile" and the first page that comes up should allow you to edit email settings as well as most other forum options.

I'm not sure how to change the time settings. It displays as EST for me.
m
l
August 14, 2012 10:18:42 PM

moornix said:
The GPU is fine.

The email can be changed by going to the little box on the upper right hand corner and clicking the "profile" tab. In the profile tab you'll see a link saying "Manage my Profile" and the first page that comes up should allow you to edit email settings as well as most other forum options.

I'm not sure how to change the time settings. It displays as EST for me.

I feel like an idiot. I seriously don't know where to find "profile" tab at. I don't see a box in the upper right hand corner it just says: JGamer0024's profile and Log Out. But when I click JGamer0024's profile, it's just those settings I don't want, not the e-mail ones.

EDIT: Nevermind. It was hiding the right column and I had to click show right column. Thanks for the help, I found my settings now.
m
l
August 25, 2012 3:29:20 AM

Best answer selected by JGamer0024.
m
l
!