Sign in with
Your question

Pci-e x16 card in a x8 slot?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 25, 2012 5:35:56 PM

Could i put a pci-e x16 card a a x8 pci-e slot? Would it it work and would i make a big bottleneck if it did work?

More about : pci x16 card slot

a c 103 U Graphics card
June 25, 2012 6:26:46 PM

if the slot is full length and it physically fits in the slot then yes you can put it in there....there will be no bottleneck unless its a really high end card and it is pcie 1.0 x8 but if its pcie 2.0 x8 it would work fine no bottleneck or if its not a very high end card it should work fine in any slot
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2012 7:08:12 PM

conquer7 said:
Could i put a pci-e x16 card a a x8 pci-e slot? Would it it work and would i make a big bottleneck if it did work?

Is your x16 slot already filled or what?
fitting such a high-end card into x8 slot won't be an issue.
m
l
Related resources
a c 103 U Graphics card
June 25, 2012 10:17:34 PM

xtreme5 said:
Is your x16 slot already filled or what?
fitting such a high-end card into x8 slot won't be an issue.

lol how do you know its a high end card that he is putting in there?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 26, 2012 2:36:18 PM

drums101 said:
lol how do you know its a high end card that he is putting in there?

you goof :pt1cable:  it is just an example.
m
l
a c 103 U Graphics card
June 26, 2012 9:43:50 PM

xtreme5 said:
you goof :pt1cable:  it is just an example.

haha I see lol I thought you knew he was putting a high end card in there like maybe he pm'd you or something lol
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 27, 2012 4:34:46 PM

drums101 said:
haha I see lol I thought you knew he was putting a high end card in there like maybe he pm'd you or something lol

hehehe! :na: 
m
l
June 26, 2014 3:35:58 AM

ricardois said:
It will work and there is a performance difference, but it is so small (less than 1%) so no problem at all:

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI-Express_...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guys that is not true. You can not physically fit a PCIe x16 on a PCI x8 ( cause x16 has more pins than x8 ) Luckily you can use a cable or a port expansioner which will do the job. ( from one end is x8 from the other is x16 )
There is a difference between thouse. And that difference is about 50% data transfer capacity. It`s not only 1%
Well the GPU performance itself and the core speed will be the same, but not the RAM usage neither the data transfer between that bus.
This 16 means 16 lanes.....and on the x8 you are missing 8 lanes till 16....get it?
Read those two and look at the tables and the pictures as well.
http://
http://
m
l
June 26, 2014 3:44:20 AM

I have a y510p with ultrabay. I first install a second GT755m so I had a SLI...later on I installed a GTX770 on that ultrabay slot....well it works but not on 100% The ultrabay on the laptop was PCI express 3.0 BUT.. x8......and all the GTX for desktop are PCI 3.0 x16 the full lenght PCI....so I used a cable for 10$ and outside power supplier fot the card.
m
l
!