Official Strategy Guide. The description, however, makes no sense to me and
I could use some advice. The documentation says:

(1) "To disenchant an item open your skill book and find the disenchant
skill"...

(2) Drag the icon into your hotbar, actrivate it to open the menu.

(3) Look in your packs to find the item you want to disenchant.

(4) Use the disenchant skill and then click on the item.

(5) Remove the contents from the "loot menu"

#2 doesn't work as described because no matter what I do, no menu appears.
I've dragged the icon into the hotbar and when I select the disenchant icon
the glove glows blue. However, no menu appears and I can't find anyway to
get one to appear.

However, if I select the disenchant icon (turning the mouse-glove blue) and
then click on the item in my backpack, my character puts her hands together
as I would expect had the disenchantment worked. However, I can find no
other evidence that anything happened (e.g., the disenchanted item
disappearing...).

What am I missing? I'm sure this is just my naivity. Thanks in advance for
any help.

Cheers,

1) Yeah, you can drag it to your one of your hot/action bars. I keep
mine on the side bar.

2) Disenchanting is not a craft. You simply do it to something. No
menu will appear when you click the button. Don't click it yet though.

3) Open up your bags. Find that unlucky green thing you're wanting to
destroy, or better yet, that blue thing you have to destroy for the
shard you need.

4) Click on the disenchant button and your pointer will get that blue
halo. You then "cast/apply" this disenchant on the item you want to
disenchant/destroy by clicking on it.

5) After making some "crafting motions" you'll get a ding, and a loot
window will open with your magical debris.

I think you can disenchant anything of any level/grade at any level of
enchanting.

Thanks much,

"Robert S." <trawetstrebor@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 1) Yeah, you can drag it to your one of your hot/action bars. I keep
> mine on the side bar.
>
> 2) Disenchanting is not a craft. You simply do it to something. No
> menu will appear when you click the button. Don't click it yet though.
>
> 3) Open up your bags. Find that unlucky green thing you're wanting to
> destroy, or better yet, that blue thing you have to destroy for the
> shard you need.
>
> 4) Click on the disenchant button and your pointer will get that blue
> halo. You then "cast/apply" this disenchant on the item you want to
> disenchant/destroy by clicking on it.
>
> 5) After making some "crafting motions" you'll get a ding, and a loot
> window will open with your magical debris.
>
> I think you can disenchant anything of any level/grade at any level of
> enchanting.

It's an expensive profession. What you'd otherwise sell for cash you
are instead destroying. You can begin to make a little money once you
get it to level 90 because then you can cast those cool red glows on
weapons (minor beastslayer, +2). And of course all those folks wanting
Crusader enchants, they can probably afford to pay through the nose for
enchants to their epic stuff.

It's a profession for an alt you can feed greens too.

Too, as a tailor, you can make green items that you can turn around and
disenchant.

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 19:02:46 GMT, Michael T. Peterson posted to
alt.games.warcraft:

> To learn how to enchant/disenchant (among other skills), I bought the
> WoW Official Strategy Guide. The description, however, makes no sense
> to me and I could use some advice. The documentation says:
>
> (1) "To disenchant an item open your skill book and find the
> disenchant skill"...

Sounds like you're asking how to disenchant instead of enchant (per the
thread title).

I don't know the answer either, but am interested to know how, like you. I
had the same problem, but didn't have the strategy guide to find out. Sat
there for a while trying to figure out how to disenchant something, finally
giving up and trained another profession instead.

--
If you think things can't get any worse, it's probably because you
lack sufficient imagination.

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 12:02:46 -0700, "Michael T. Peterson"
<mtp1032@comcast.net> wrote:

>To learn how to enchant/disenchant (among other skills), I bought the WoW
>Official Strategy Guide. The description, however, makes no sense to me and
>I could use some advice. The documentation says:
>
>(1) "To disenchant an item open your skill book and find the disenchant
>skill"...
>
>(2) Drag the icon into your hotbar, actrivate it to open the menu.
>
>(3) Look in your packs to find the item you want to disenchant.
>
>(4) Use the disenchant skill and then click on the item.
>
>(5) Remove the contents from the "loot menu"
>
>#2 doesn't work as described because no matter what I do, no menu appears.
It's an error. The "official strategy guide" isn't actually the
program documentation, whatever it's been published as, and I suspect
it hasn't been quite as rigorously checked.

There's no menu for the disenchant skill. With that proviso, the
above is actually pretty much right:

Find item
Click on "disenchant" icon
Click on item to disenchant it

Cheers - Ian

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Michael T. Peterson <mtp1032@comcast.net> stared blankly into space
for a short while before writing:
> To learn how to enchant/disenchant (among other skills), I bought
> the WoW Official Strategy Guide. The description, however, makes no
> sense to me and I could use some advice. The documentation says:
>
> (1) "To disenchant an item open your skill book and find the
> disenchant skill"...

Correct

> (2) Drag the icon into your hotbar, actrivate it to open the menu.

Uh... sure, drag it to the hotbar, but there is no "activating" the
disenchant skill

> (3) Look in your packs to find the item you want to disenchant.

The item must be disenchantable, most greens and blues. IIRC some
green/blue items like recipes/plans/schematics/patterns/formulas etc
cannot be disenchanted.

> (4) Use the disenchant skill and then click on the item.

Yep

> (5) Remove the contents from the "loot menu"

Yep

> #2 doesn't work as described because no matter what I do, no menu
> appears. I've dragged the icon into the hotbar and when I select
> the disenchant icon the glove glows blue. However, no menu appears
> and I can't find anyway to get one to appear.

You maybe trying to disenchant an item that cannot be disenchanted.

> However, if I select the disenchant icon (turning the mouse-glove
> blue) and then click on the item in my backpack, my character puts
> her hands together as I would expect had the disenchantment worked.
> However, I can find no other evidence that anything happened (e.g.,
> the disenchanted item disappearing...).
> What am I missing? I'm sure this is just my naivity. Thanks in
> advance for any help.

Well for starters, the thread subject is "How to enchant stuff", not
"how to disenchant stuff". If you are trying to enchant stuff...

1) Hit 'p' to open your spellbook.

2) Drag your "ENCHANTING" icon onto your hotbar (or just click (either
button)) to use straight away.

3) You will see a menu of the basic enchants you can do. There may only
be 2 or 3 enchants available to you right now.

4) Left click the enchant that you want to perform, this will show the
details of the enchant (including the required reagents) in the lower
half of the window.

5) There will be a number in the reagent's icon showing the amount of
reagent in your backpacks/number of reagents required. E.G.:- If you
have 5 strange dust and the recipe requires 2 strange dust, then the
number will look like this "5/2". The reagent icon will be somewhat
darkened if you don't have enough of the reagent for the selected
enchant.

6) Open your backpack, click "enchant" at the bottom of the enchanting
window - your cursor will take on that blue aura - and then click the
item you want to enchant.

7) Your 'toon should go through it's enchant casting animation and then
"ting!", your item should be enchanted and your enchant skill rise to 1
(or maybe 2:)

HTH

--
Doc

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Doc <the.doc.is.in@REMOVETHlSgmail.com> stared blankly into space for
a short while before writing:
> Michael T. Peterson <mtp1032@comcast.net> stared blankly into space
> for a short while before writing:
>> (2) Drag the icon into your hotbar, actrivate it to open the menu.
>
> Uh... sure, drag it to the hotbar, but there is no "activating" the
> disenchant skill

Grr... I meant to say that there is no menu to activate with the
disenchant skill.

--
Doc

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 06:06:50 GMT, Ian Noble posted to alt.games.warcraft:

> There's no menu for the disenchant skill. With that proviso, the
> above is actually pretty much right:
>
> Find item
> Click on "disenchant" icon
> Click on item to disenchant it

Everybody says this like there's a "disenchant" icon on everyone's screen.
Pardon me, but I see no "disenchant" icon anywhere, not even when I hit
'p' and look through all the icons on all the tabs. So just saying 'click
on "disenchant" icon' doesn't help much, but thanks for trying anyway.

--
Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps to get
out of bed in the morning.

mikel

Klaatu wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 06:06:50 GMT, Ian Noble posted to alt.games.warcraft:
>

>>There's no menu for the disenchant skill. With that proviso, the
>>above is actually pretty much right:
>>
>>Find item
>>Click on "disenchant" icon
>>Click on item to disenchant it
>

> Everybody says this like there's a "disenchant" icon on everyone's screen.
> Pardon me, but I see no "disenchant" icon anywhere, not even when I hit
> 'p' and look through all the icons on all the tabs. So just saying 'click
> on "disenchant" icon' doesn't help much, but thanks for trying anyway.

If you learn Enchanting you get a Disenchant icon in the General tab.

In <Xns96A58BCD8911Dklaatunospaminvalid@127.0.0.1> Klaatu <klaatu@nospam.invalid> writes:

> Everybody says this like there's a "disenchant" icon on everyone's screen.
> Pardon me, but I see no "disenchant" icon anywhere, not even when I hit
> 'p' and look through all the icons on all the tabs. So just saying 'click
> on "disenchant" icon' doesn't help much, but thanks for trying anyway.

If you are an enchanter, then yes, there IS a "Disenchant" icon in
your spellbook, on the General tab. Look again.

--
John Gordon "It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese."
gordon@panix.com

In article <dcm7do$3is$1@reader2.panix.com>,
John Gordon <gordon@panix.com> wrote:

> In <Xns96A58BCD8911Dklaatunospaminvalid@127.0.0.1> Klaatu
> <klaatu@nospam.invalid> writes:
>
> > Everybody says this like there's a "disenchant" icon on everyone's screen.
> > Pardon me, but I see no "disenchant" icon anywhere, not even when I hit
> > 'p' and look through all the icons on all the tabs. So just saying 'click
> > on "disenchant" icon' doesn't help much, but thanks for trying anyway.
>
> If you are an enchanter, then yes, there IS a "Disenchant" icon in
> your spellbook, on the General tab. Look again.

Given the sheer number of icons in the spellbook, the ease of forgetting
to upgrade old spells in the toolbars to the newer ones, the common
problem of misunderstanding the mechanics of using a "spell" for
fishing, wanding, or disenchanting, it would seem to make sense for
Blizzard to make the UI here a little friendlier -- all unused (i.e. not
equipped into a toolbar) spells and skills that are non-passive should
have a big red frame around the icon so it can very quickly be seen with
a cursory scan in the spellbook. Section tabs should also be
backgrounded in red if they contain such an unused item. This could be
disabled just by clicking on the new item to make the "alert" go away,
if the ability is not interesting (e.g. Cannibalize to a higher lvl
undead). In the case of multiple skill levels, like nine levels of
Fireball, all the preceding ones can be greyed out (but still usable).
Wouldn't that be nice? The current system of having a flashing frame
around the newly learned skills/spells is too subtle (for newer players)
and much too impermanent.

--
Eonar: Hemophage (60), Human warrior Purge (58), Undead mage
Dagobert (34), Human mage Vaik (12), Night Elf rogue

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 20:44:35 GMT, Klaatu <klaatu@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 06:06:50 GMT, Ian Noble posted to alt.games.warcraft:
>
>> There's no menu for the disenchant skill. With that proviso, the
>> above is actually pretty much right:
>>
>> Find item
>> Click on "disenchant" icon
>> Click on item to disenchant it
>
>Everybody says this like there's a "disenchant" icon on everyone's screen.
>Pardon me, but I see no "disenchant" icon anywhere, not even when I hit
>'p' and look through all the icons on all the tabs. So just saying 'click
>on "disenchant" icon' doesn't help much, but thanks for trying anyway.

Not a problem. This is basic WoW stuff; easy once you know it, but
everyone had to learn it.

On the whole, the following applies to pretty much everything.

- Spells/skills have corresponding icons in your Spell book.
- Find the icon for the skill you want to be able to use, and drag it
to a spare button slot of your choice.

If Disenchant isn't on your screen, that's because you haven't put it
there yet. I suggest you go through your spell book and check it
carefully, because there are probably other spells/skills you haven't
put there either.

Exceptions:
1) Passive skills, because they because they're active all the time.
2) Also, there are differences when characters upgrade existing
skills to the next spell up. Some get upgraded automatically; some
need to have the more powerful spell added manually. There's a degree
of logic to it, but that's a different thread.

Note that you can equally put objects you want to use onto buttons.

Cheers - Ian