Nvidia Nforce 680i Not Posting....

tokyosexwhale

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Hello all
I built a rig about 5/6 years back. I'm running a Nvidia Nforce 680i SLI with an Intel Q9300 (2.5ghz) CPU and a Thermalake Toughpower 750W PSU.

Just lately the PC wasn't closing down properly, it would just hang on the shut down screen so I had to power off via the case button.

When I booted back up via the Power Buttonit wouldn't post unless I kept pressing the power button and reset button until it finally kicked in. this got worse over time.

Then it just refused to post. The fans would spin for a few seconds then then stop. The onboard LED just says --

At first I thought it was the case buttons, but they're fine. Then I thought it might be a short so took out the motherboard, placed it on cardboard, removed all cards and memory sticks and tried to boot up via the power button on the motherboard.
Nothing (well fans spin up then shuts down).

I've noticed if I take the 8 pin plug out of the motherboard near the processor then the fans spin up for longer before closing down.

I am assuming it is either, the PSU but everything on the motherboard seems to be getting power apart from the processor (it's also cold to the touch) OR it's the processor OR it's the motherboard itself, again the motherboard seems to be functioning correctly apart from no power getting to the CPU 'seat'.

I don't have another rig to test things and I use this PC for my work. Has anyone had this problem before?

Many thanks in advance.

When you say it won't post what is it doing. Is it Blue Screening, is it give you any beep errors? Is there anything on the screen at all or s it just a black sreen?

tokyosexwhale

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Nothing. Nothing at all. No beeps, nothing. Just the fans powering up for a few seconds before everything in the case closes down.

tokyosexwhale

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
I don't have any of these. I was kinda hoping this problem might jog someones memory and they'd say, 'Ah, that happened to me! It was...'

A long shot I know:)

I think I'm going to have to pick one to replace and hope that is the problem (1 in 3 shot) Bit annoying. I was sure it could be the PSU but more and more I'm thinking it's possibly the CPU.

tokyosexwhale

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Does your motherboard have a cmos reset pin and if so have you tried it?

Have you tried using one stick of ram in ram slot 0 only?

Have you tried un-hooking everything and only running the motherboard, 1 ram stick, cpu and pwm fan?

Cmos reset - Yup, tried that :(
One Stick of Ram - Yup, tried that, tried EVERY combination of RAM:(
Un-hooking everything and only running the motherboard, 1 ram stick, cpu and pwm fan? - Yup, same resuly:(

I'm now just running the motherboard and CPU (on cardboard) with no RAM. I keep hoping the LED error on the board will tell me off for not having RAM or I hear that reassuring warning beep. Nothing. Just the fans powering up then everything shutting down.

tokyosexwhale

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
I do and I went there today. They refused to do it unless I pay them £50 ($80) to look at it for me. I explained to them it's NOT a Windows problem it's more a component problem and they smirked when I said I can fix it myself I just need to know which part to replace.

It's so frustrating.

tokyosexwhale

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Tried a friend's PSU and it did exactly the same thing. So it's not the PSU. This leaves only the CPU or the motherboard. My money at the moment is on the CPU.

Now looking for a new one.

I really I don't think it is the CPU. CPU's are the most reliable piece of hardware and rarely if ever breaks. Motherboard though can be very finicky and a bad motherboard can do a lot of weird things and is more likely to be bad.

tokyosexwhale

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Yup, it was the motherboard!

Everything on the motherboard seems to be working apart from the socket.

Got a new motherboard and everything is back working again. I think that light on the Nvidia motherboard means there's something wrong with the board.
I read a post on another forum where a guy had the exact same light. He wrote to Nvidia and they told him that the board was dead.

Thanks for the help everybody. Problem solved:)