Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Best six core processor for a gaming pc

Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 29, 2012 9:39:34 PM

What is the best six core processor to buy for a gaming PC? My friend is looking for one and I'm not sure if intel or and matters.... I have only had intel and heard they run more efficient with the sandy bridge technology. What would be a good six core processor for him to get? He asked me to look, so I t bought I would ask.

More about : core processor gaming

a c 146 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 29, 2012 9:45:01 PM

I would say the PhenomII 1100T. Overclock it and it will be a great processor. With that said though really six core processors are kind of a waste for gaming since most games only use 2 or 3 cores still. In most cases for most modern games a good quad core CPU is all you need.
m
0
l
a c 82 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 29, 2012 9:46:16 PM

a 6 core cpu is not best for gaming. i5 3570k is the best thing out at the moment. even an 8 core amd cpu is way of the mark in gaming performance. It is more important to spend more $$$ on the graphics card anyway.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 146 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 29, 2012 9:49:51 PM

Quote:
If he can't afford an intel six core then have him go i7.


There is absoutly no point in paying 800 to 1000 dollars on an Intel six core processor. The I7 is a waste too. The six Intel CPU cost to much and won't benefit you enough in gaming to make it worth the cost. The I7 is pointless too as you are paying mre for hyperthreading and extra cache two things games don't make use of. If the main purpose is gaming I would go with an I5. It is more than enough for any game, no game today will cripple an I5. If you really want to go with a six core processor (again IMO it's a wste since most games won't even use all six cores) I would try to find a Phenom II 1100T.
m
0
l
December 29, 2012 9:51:59 PM

I told him he ah old just go with a quad core also, but he said he wants a six core because he's not to computer savvy and doesn't want to upgrade the important parts like the processor because it's too technical for him.
m
0
l
a c 141 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 29, 2012 9:54:05 PM

i7-3930k, i7-3960x and i7-3970x are the best user 6 core intel processors without going to the commercial Xeon line.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2012 9:58:42 PM

Quote:
If he doesn't want to upgrade the cpu anytime soon then def go Intel. The AMD cpu the other person posted is out dated garbage compared to the i5.



Hi :) 

Thats rubbish...

The AMD 1100T is BETTER AT GAMING than most i5s...particularly at multithreaded games like BF3 ...

I run 1100Ts with my 7990 (best gpu in the world...)

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 29, 2012 10:03:26 PM

Always the same thing...i could run a pentium G860 with a 7990, so a pentium G860 is the best...
The 1100t was a good cpu, but we're in 2012, almost in 2013, and no it's not as good now as a i5 or i7.
As for the op, the only one good is the i7-3930k, the others are overpriced(the 3930k is also, but less).
m
0
l
a c 146 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 29, 2012 10:18:13 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Thats rubbish...

The AMD 1100T is BETTER AT GAMING than most i5s...particularly at multithreaded games like BF3 ...

I run 1100Ts with my 7990 (best gpu in the world...)

All the best Brett :) 

Maybe you haven't realized it yet but this is 2012 not 2009. No matter what your fanboy fantasies have you believe the 1100T will not an is not the best and is not better than a Sandy Bridges or Ivy Bridges CPU. Look at some benchmarks though you will probably choose to ignore the facts and keep believing your own BS.
m
0
l
December 29, 2012 11:10:00 PM

Wait for the ivy bridge 6 core cpu. Or the haswell chip to be released, its right around the corner. No point in buying yesterdays technology at full price today =='
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2012 11:19:14 PM

rds1220 said:
Maybe you haven't realized it yet but this is 2012 not 2009. No matter what your fanboy fantasies have you believe the 1100T will not an is not the best and is not better than a Sandy Bridges or Ivy Bridges CPU. Look at some benchmarks though you will probably choose to ignore the facts and keep believing your own BS.


Lol, you don't know who you're talking to. That's Brett. Brett is the man. Last I heard, he works at AMD.

*edit* i5 is better performance, but a Phenom II x6 won't bottleneck.
m
0
l
a c 146 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 29, 2012 11:21:38 PM

What sense does that make. Yea it's a six core Ivy Bridges and yea it is newer but pricing will be the same. It will still be around 1000 dollars and it is still not practical or worthwhile to spend that much for a CPU especially since games don't really make use of six cored anyway.
m
0
l
a c 146 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 29, 2012 11:29:27 PM

griptwister said:
Lol, you don't know who you're talking to. That's Brett. Brett is the man. Last I heard, he works at AMD.

*edit* i5 is better performance, but a Phenom II x6 won't bottleneck.


I don't care who he is or who he works for. When you make absurd and compleatly false comments like "The Phenom II 1100T is better than the I5" you are going to get flamed for it. The 1100T wasn't better than the I core I5 and I7's back when it [the 1100T] was new what would make you think it's better now especially since the Intel architecture has be further refined and the Phenom II is still the same as it was three years ago.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2012 11:34:31 PM

rds1220 said:
I don't care who he is or who he works for. When you make absurd and compleatly false comments like "The Phenom II 1100T is better than the I5" you are going to get flamed for it. The 1100T wasn't better than the I core I5 and I7's back when it [the 1100T] was new what would make you think it's better now especially since the Intel architecture has be further refined and the Phenom II is still the same as it was three years ago.


He works for AMD, what if *his* Phenom Actually is? xD Benchmarks we need! lol
m
0
l
a c 146 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 30, 2012 1:35:04 AM

popatim said:
Brett owns his own shop and for those who like to shoot off their mouths without knowing wtf they're talking about the 1100t actually does very well in bf3mp.
http://static.techspot.com/articles-info/448/bench/CPU_...


Yea AND. That is ONE game and one game only and it is in multi player maps not single player. It is not the norm it is one very limited exception to the norm. To state that the 1100T is better than the I5 is flat out wrong. In all but a very few cases the I5 is much better than the 1100T for gaming. It is like saying the Bulldozer is great and better than the I5 because it beats it in two whole games. Big woop it is one small exception to the fact. You can't make a blanket statement like that and not expect to get flamed for it, especially when you do it over and over again as he has done.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 30, 2012 1:36:41 AM

Beta ?

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 30, 2012 1:52:23 AM

popatim said:
Brett owns his own shop and for those who like to shoot off their mouths without knowing wtf they're talking about the 1100t actually does very well in bf3mp.
http://static.techspot.com/articles-info/448/bench/CPU_...




ok in one game it does by a few fps, if you REALLY want to see what this difference is, anandtech's benchmarks will give you the answer http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/203?vs=288

close in a few, but not in most
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 30, 2012 1:55:49 AM

And to the OP, Intel's 6 cores are waaaaaay better than AMD's, but there really is no use for them in gaming right now. But if you r hellbent and you've got the chedda, go 3930k
m
0
l
a c 146 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 30, 2012 2:02:04 AM

Directly answeing his question yes the Intel six core processors are the best but given the price it is not worth it and IMO not practical.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 30, 2012 8:19:21 AM

"The AMD 1100T is BETTER AT GAMING than most i5s" Lol, Key word, "MOST" and, it is lol, except for the newest Gen.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 30, 2012 12:34:56 PM

I would rock the FX-6300 instead of the 1100T. You would just be wasting your money on an i7 for gaming. Maybe an i5 would serve you better for gaming (4-core), but that wasn't the question.
m
0
l
a c 146 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 30, 2012 3:55:24 PM

griptwister said:
"The AMD 1100T is BETTER AT GAMING than most i5s" Lol, Key word, "MOST" and, it is lol, except for the newest Gen.


You can keep teling yourself that all you want but it isn't going to become magically true. The I5 core processors beat the 1100T in gaming back when it was new. The 1100T will not beat out the I5 in most games and that is backed up by tons of benchmarks over the years.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 30, 2012 4:32:05 PM

Funny thread. Why are you foaming at the mouth about i5s when the OP asked about six cores CPUs? delta5 if you want to sell i5s you should probably come across a bit less aggressive and bit less annoying. Nobody wants to read posts like yours.

To answer the OP: Phenom six cores are hard to find. This leaves you with two choices.
Best six core for $0-500: FX6300 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Best six core for $500-...: 3930K http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For a gaming system however a six core isn't a requirement.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 30, 2012 4:38:01 PM

FinneousPJ said:
Funny thread. Why are you foaming at the mouth about i5s when the OP asked about six cores CPUs? delta5 if you want to sell i5s you should probably come across a bit less aggressive and bit less annoying. Nobody wants to read posts like yours.

To answer the OP: Phenom six cores are hard to find. This leaves you with two choices.
Best six core for $0-500: FX6300 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Best six core for $500-...: 3930K http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For a gaming system however a six core isn't a requirement.



Hi :) 

Totally agree, I am not sure some in this thread even read the OP`s request... or maybe they just cannot count ..lol

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 30, 2012 4:59:20 PM

This all happen when Brett928S2 said : "The AMD 1100T is BETTER AT GAMING than most i5s...particularly at multithreaded games like BF3 ... "

And it started all this flame, i said it's a good cpu for it's time, but that sentence is incorrect.
But i don't go bashing out saying it's crap, it's still is a good cpu.
As for the op like i said in the first post, the only option is the i7-3930k.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 30, 2012 5:04:20 PM

hafijur said:
What is the best six core processor to buy for a gaming PC?
..............................
Brett considering most 4 core cpu's by intel outperform any amd 6 core on most things and sip power the best processor or be it 4 core for gaming is an intel cpu. Considering how inefficient amd cpu's are a 2600k old gen probably takes less electricty then the slowest amd fx4000 series cpu.

Soon amd will be comparing 12 core 300w power consuming cpu's to intel 35w line how things are going considering bulldozer went backwords.


Hi :) 

You are MISSING the point...we and the OP were asking about 6 cores NOT 4...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 30, 2012 5:10:27 PM

djangoringo said:
This all happen when Brett928S2 said : "The AMD 1100T is BETTER AT GAMING than most i5s...particularly at multithreaded games like BF3 ... "

And it started all this flame, i said it's a good cpu for it's time, but that sentence is incorrect.
But i don't go bashing out saying it's crap, it's still is a good cpu.
As for the op like i said in the first post, the only option is the i7-3930k.

It isn't the only option.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 30, 2012 5:15:12 PM

Yes, there're the amd ones, but not worth it, as stated before.
For intel yes the cheapest and the best value six core is the i7-3930k.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 30, 2012 5:15:27 PM

FinneousPJ said:
It isn't the only option.


Hi :) 

Thats not your choice...the OP asked SPECIFICALLY about 6 core cpus...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 30, 2012 5:24:03 PM

djangoringo said:
Yes, there're the amd ones, but not worth it, as stated before.
For intel yes the cheapest and the best value six core is the i7-3930k.

Are you saying the FX6300 isn't worth $140 but the 3930K is worth $570? For a gaming system? That's just not true.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 30, 2012 5:26:18 PM

If he wants a real six core the only option is a i7-3930k.
Why get a pseudo six core cpu that performs less than a quadcore intel(i5)?
Like many stated, a quad core will be fine, but if he wants a six core, no matter the price point, the good ones are the i7 SB-E.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 30, 2012 5:29:45 PM

djangoringo said:
If he wants a real six core the only option is a i7-3930k.
Why get a pseudo six core cpu that performs less than a quadcore intel(i5)?
Like many stated, a quad core will be fine, but if he wants a six core, no matter the price point, the good ones are the i7 SB-E.

Oh no don't start that debate here :lol:  Open your own thread if you want to argue the Piledriver architecture. It's a six core CPU on all retail sites, that'll do.

The FX6300 is a good CPU for $140. Whether a $220 Intel four core is better is irrelevant.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 30, 2012 5:31:42 PM

So that means, the FX-8150 for "eight cores" is the best cpu of all those ?
And if we don't talk about price point, a FX-6300 is nothing compared to an i7-3930k, see the battlefield 3 benchmark, and many others, the value is another question.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 30, 2012 5:57:28 PM

lol, this thread got out of hand, it's another amd vs intel thread.
He said : "What is the best six core processor to buy for a gaming PC?"

Didn't tell the price, either like people here told, tell your friend that an i5/i7 ivybridge will do fine, and that the i7 from SB-E are overpriced and not worth it for gaming(except a few titles).
Or if he doesn't care about prices, get the i7-3930k, cause it's the best six core cpu out there(there's also the i7-3970x, if he really don't care about prices).
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 30, 2012 6:10:29 PM

djangoringo said:
lol, this thread got out of hand, it's another amd vs intel thread.
He said : "What is the best six core processor to buy for a gaming PC?"

Didn't tell the price, either like people here told, tell your friend that an i5/i7 ivybridge will do fine, and that the i7 from SB-E are overpriced and not worth it for gaming(except a few titles).
Or if he doesn't care about prices, get the i7-3930k, cause it's the best six core cpu out there(there's also the i7-3970x, if he really don't care about prices).

This is true, but I wonder why you're still dismissing the FX6300. It's worth its price compared to the i5-3570K.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 30, 2012 6:51:11 PM

rds1220 said:
You can keep teling yourself that all you want but it isn't going to become magically true. The I5 core processors beat the 1100T in gaming back when it was new. The 1100T will not beat out the I5 in most games and that is backed up by tons of benchmarks over the years.


You forget, there are other i5 Models... and the Phenom II x6 does beat most of them. Except for the newer ones.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 30, 2012 7:04:52 PM

Quote:
While the Op wouldn't notice the difference between the FX6300 and the i5-3570k there is still i nice gap between the two. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/699?vs=701

Exactly; which is why the FX is a great buy at $80 less.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 30, 2012 9:19:00 PM

you know what's funny, we haven't heard from the OP since the third post lol
m
0
l
a c 146 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 30, 2012 10:16:38 PM

You people are missing the point. There is no need to get a six core processor for gaming especially one that is three years old. Six core processors offer nothing more than a quad core since the vast majority of games don't even use six cores. A quad core processor is all you need and the I5 is the best for that. You fanboys are just using this thread as a way to push someone into buying an AMD processor just because it is AMD. You know just as much as anyone here that the six core 1100T is not the best option but that doesn't mean anything to you as long as it is AMD you will try to push it on people. We know it won't perform to the same level as an I5 and offers nothing over an I5.
m
0
l
a c 146 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 30, 2012 10:28:23 PM

I have two 680's and I haven't really looked when playing so I can't say for certain. I play at 1920X1080 with a 60Hz refresh rate and at the resolution more of the load is put on the graphics card rather than the CPU. The lower you go for res the more load is put on the CPU the higher you go the load is put on the graphics card.
m
0
l
a c 146 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 30, 2012 10:37:40 PM

hafijur said:
When you do play check gpuz and see if the gpu is being used 100% on both 680's. This is the big problem with amd cpu's there cpu's are not fast enough for the top notch frame rates you get with intel cpu's.


I will and I'll let you know. If I had to guess it is probably using at the very least three cores but it could be using all four but again until I look I can't say for certain right now.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2012 12:16:14 AM

The point was (you idiots) he want's a bloody Hexa-core. and he want's the best, the best is Intel, the best priced is AMD. Now everyone, Just get over it. And yes, we get it, there is no need for 6 cores (right now). Ultimately, it's his choice, not ours.

I suppose you're going to say I don't need more than 4Gb of RAM now? Lol, Well guess what, I can use another 4Gb because I feel like it and ultimately, it's my Rig, and I'm going to build it the way I like. So everyone, chill out.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2012 2:37:06 AM

Quote:
lol typical amd fan boy. Avoiding fact.


I'm not saying that's not a fact, but those benches are done with different specs. You'd be a moron to post anything from that website. And consider this, While intel tech is newer, it's not slaughtering that old AMD 6 core. And, as these guys have stated, most programs only use 2-3 cores. So... where is this slaughtering?
m
0
l
a c 146 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 31, 2012 2:40:59 AM

griptwister said:
I'm not saying that's not a fact, but those benches are done with different specs. You'd be a moron to post anything from that website. And consider this, While intel tech is newer, it's not slaughtering that old AMD 6 core. And, as these guys have stated, most programs only use 2-3 cores. So... where is this slaughtering?


There is nothing wrong with Anandtech. Anandtech, Toms Hardware and a few others are the most reliable benchmarking websites.
m
0
l
December 31, 2012 3:22:46 AM

As far as I know whether its Intel or AMD, choose what you like. If you want a enthusiast gaming system go with Intel i5 or i7. If you want a system that can run games at High settings(not Ultra) go with AMD. AMD cpu's bottleneck the Higher up gpu's like GTX 670, 680, 690, RHD 7970. If you're on a budget I say go with AMD. If you spend money like there's no tomorrow then go Intel. An Intel i5 can handle pretty much any game. I'm not saying AMD is bad but, they do need to step it up. Basically what I'm saying is if you want the best gaming rig go Intel. If you want a Budget gaming rig go AMD. And the 8 core cpus from AMD aren't that great imo. Its not 8 real cores. A quad-core is recommended for gaming. And the only game that actually takes advantage of 6 cores is Battlefield 3. So AMD fans stick with a FX-6300 if your gonna play BF3. Intel fans stay with the i5 and i7's. IMO Intel is the better company and has the better processors that is why AMD stopped producing CPUs. They are focusing more on APU's and mobile chips. BTW this is my opinion guys. If AMD brought Phenom III to the market they would have a chance to stay in the game. Instead they went core crazy. The Phenom series was really good. And I'd hate to see AMD go. Go with what you want. In the end it all comes down to the money. :) 
m
0
l
!