Sign in with
Your question

Please HELP HDMI to DVI for 3D will it work?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 25, 2012 5:58:45 PM

Hi All,

I saw some really great stuff on here but I couldn't find this specific issue already answered. Below is my set up. Please let me know if you can help.

Computer: Dell XPS 15z

Graphics: Nvidia GT 525M (hooked up to HDMI port I believe)
Intel HD graphics (hooked to mini display port)

Monitor: Acer GD235HZ

Nvidia 3D vision kit

So what I have been told so far is that this monitor doesn't support 3D through HDMI. Not sure why that is but regardless need to be hooked up to the DVI-D port. Unfortunately my comp only has the HDMI port hooked up to the Nvidia card. So I would like to use the HDMI port to connect to the DVI-D port. I need to know if I can force the appropriate signal through my HDMI port to the DVI-D port on the Acer and use 3D. I think the main reason I can't use the HDMI port is because the Acer doesn't support 120Hz over HDMI. Does anyone know if this will work? or if there is a work around to resolve this?

Thanks

More about : hdmi dvi work

June 25, 2012 6:54:06 PM

HDMI itself won't support the bandwidth for 3d 120hz (or 60hz per eye), I doubt that this is going to work.

Why do you assume the Mini-Display port on your laptop is connected to the iGPU of your sandy-bridge? I would expect both display outputs are connected to your GPU, and the Intel HD Graphics are disabled to conserve battery power.

As long as your mini-display port works fine, you should use it to connect to your monitor, if you need an adapter to DVI for it, make sure you get a Dual Link (DL-DVI) to mini-Display-Port adapter.

Be warned that I wouldn't expect very good 3d performance from your laptop for gaming. It takes a lot of horsepower to drive a decent framerate in 3d (since you have to render 2x the frames).
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
June 25, 2012 7:27:06 PM

the HDMI is the bottleneck like DjScribbles so no way it will work on full 1080p 60hz in 3D mode on hdmi cable, but you can still get the 1080p 24hz or 720p 60hz, but even at 720p i doubt you will be able to play games on 3d there... the gpu is only not enough for 3D gaming.

maybe for a movie or 3d images, but gaming is off the table
m
l
Related resources
June 25, 2012 7:48:52 PM

Okay so even with i7 and 8 gb of memory it won't work smoothly? Also I thought that HDMI 1.4a could handle the bandwith? This computer does have 1.4a connector per other reviews of the laptop I've seen. Thanks for the tip about the DP. I will look into trying to use that adapter.

If it does have an HDMI 1.4a do you think this would work to use the converter to DVI-D
m
l
June 25, 2012 7:56:49 PM

As a note I want to do the conversion right at the port to my computer and run the signal using a DVI cable.
m
l
June 25, 2012 8:11:20 PM

Yeah, do a conversion from mini-DP to DL-DVI instead of HDMI to DL-DVI. I wouldn't hold my breath on that working, but it's your best chance.

The i7 and 8gb are fine, but they won't prop up a lower end laptop GPU (don't get me wrong, it's not a bad GPU for a mobility laptop that does light gaming, but it's no powerhouse). That isn't to say that you couldn't play games in 3d, it just wouldn't be a very great experience (you'll need low settings on semi-modern games to get high-ish framerates)
m
l
June 25, 2012 8:15:26 PM

So one more thing to confirm my previous suspicions

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/35...

So with that being said that the mini-DP is only connected to the intel HD graphics am I just screwed here?

Or is there still a chance a converter for the HDMI (assuming 1.4a specs on the laptop port) like I mentioned above could work?

Thanks so much for the help already btw :D 
m
l
June 25, 2012 8:27:47 PM

That is pretty sad if true. The only reason I could see for hooking the display port to the ivy-bridge is to support 2 simultaneous external displays without overtaxing the nvidia card (or if nvidia doesn't support DP)

You can try HDMI to DL-DVI, but my guess is that nvidia won't output a 3d signal on an HDMI port, regardless of what is attached to the monitor. You can however use Tridef 3d display driver to run 3d side-by-side mode over your hdmi though (no adapters needed), as long as your monitor can handle SBS mode. (you can try the free trial version to see if it works before buying, you'll probably have to change a setting on the monitor every time you go from game to desktop though).

On the upside, the bandwidth of HDMI probably won't be an with SBS mode, because it's only transmitting one 1080p image that gets turned into two frames on your monitor.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
June 25, 2012 8:48:04 PM

lobop said:
Okay so even with i7 and 8 gb of memory it won't work smoothly? Also I thought that HDMI 1.4a could handle the bandwith? This computer does have 1.4a connector per other reviews of the laptop I've seen. Thanks for the tip about the DP. I will look into trying to use that adapter.

If it does have an HDMI 1.4a do you think this would work to use the converter to DVI-D

yea you have a cpu and some memory, but that is nothing for gaming, the GPU is what counts, HDMI 1.4 Can handle 3D, older versions can not even handle 1080p 24hz...

525m is a good GPu but certainly it is not for gaming,and if you try to run 3D Games there you will have a bad time.
m
l
June 25, 2012 10:05:04 PM

Okay good to know about gaming. I'm not really a gamer though so I guess I'll get over it. Do you think it would be good enough for 3D movies to stream seamlessly?

And thanks DjScribbles I will look into that software. I have a hdmi to dvi converter on the way. It was cheep so I'll give it a shot and report back.
m
l
June 25, 2012 10:12:08 PM

Oh, you aren't really planning on gaming?

Then you should be fine. Just download tridef:
http://www.tridef.com/download

Theres a 14day trial, it has a media player included, it should be able to do what you want.

Your hardware is perfectly capable for playing 3d movies I think. Just use HDMI+TriDef (unless nvidia works iwth your adapter.)
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
June 26, 2012 3:01:06 AM

yes for movies it will work, you can use Tridef like @Dj Scribbles told you or you can just go with the Nvidia 3D Vision drivers... if you buy Nvidia 3D Vision glasses of course, for video streaming and picture viewer it will work properly and so for video streaming you will be ok playing at 1080p 24hz since most of movies are only 24fps... but 720p is already ok if you really require the 60hz, but if it is not for gaming you will be allright.
m
l
June 26, 2012 7:23:48 PM

So I have the whole 3D vision set up but is there any way to do it over the hdmi cable at say 720p or something? I was having a lot of trouble getting the nvidia software to talk to the monitor. I'm really new to the 3D thing and I didn't realize how complicated it was with all the different ways of displaying it. Any advice on some stuff to read to help me understand what I can and can't use the 3D vision glasses I have with?
m
l
June 26, 2012 8:23:52 PM

I have an AMD setup, so I can't really help you with what nVidia does/does not allow. Do make sure you update your nvidia drivers though, as that will dictate how it all works.

You should be able to watch 3d movies in 1080p no trouble over hdmi1.4a cabling (that's how all 3d tv + 3d bluRay systems work); however the laptop and monitor both have to support 3d through HDMI.

You could try calling nVidia (and/or Acer/Dell) directly for support, they should be able to give you a solid answer on what you need to do, or at least help you piece the puzzle together.

Unfortunately, 3d is very complicated, and you are using it outside the "normal" use case.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
June 26, 2012 8:58:16 PM

djscribbles said:

You should be able to watch 3d movies in 1080p no trouble over hdmi1.4a cabling (that's how all 3d tv + 3d bluRay systems work); however the laptop and monitor both have to support 3d through HDMI.

that is true you can watch 3d movies in 1080p BUT only at 24hz (some drivers allow you to go to 30hz) but with 3D vision 24hz only if i'm not mistaken. since no HDMI cable support full 1080p 120hz...

Quote:
So I have the whole 3D vision set up but is there any way to do it over the hdmi cable at say 720p or something? I was having a lot of trouble getting the nvidia software to talk to the monitor. I'm really new to the 3D thing and I didn't realize how complicated it was with all the different ways of displaying it. Any advice on some stuff to read to help me understand what I can and can't use the 3D vision glasses I have with?

Yes, just plug the monitor to the Notebook and use it alone probably.

Plug the 3D vision glasses USB or Pyramid (depending on the kit you have) to the notebook USB.

So just go to nvidia control panel and enable 3D vision you will then run a Configuration wizard that will explain you how to turn on 3D glasses, and will enable 3D vision as default, it will work normally, but since you are using HDMI the maximum resolution is 1080p 60hz so the 3D will be running at 1080p24 or just lower the resolution in the game to 720p 120hz (it will be 60hz when 3d in on)
m
l
!