[Q] HOWTO Guide For Using WoW Interface

By way of background, the documentation I've read seems heavy on strategy
and tatics (and is very well done, by the way). The info in forums such as
these are really great, especially for those who are in higher levels. As a
newbie, tho', my biggest impediment to leveling, however, is the lack of
information on how to use the interface (e.g., What icons/buttons, and in
what order, must they be clicked in order to do something. Some things are
intuitively obvious but others, are not.

This [mudane] stuff is critical for those of us just starting out and I was
wondering if there exists documention/forum/notes/etc., that explain the
workings of the WoW interface? Again, thanks in advance for any help...

Cheers,

what do you mean? WoW is like the easiest game ever. Are you talking
about some obscure add-on?

"Michael T. Peterson" <mtp1032@comcast.net> wrote in message
> By way of background, the documentation I've read seems heavy on strategy
> and tatics (and is very well done, by the way). The info in forums such as
> these are really great, especially for those who are in higher levels. As
> newbie, tho', my biggest impediment to leveling, however, is the lack of
> information on how to use the interface (e.g., What icons/buttons, and in
> what order, must they be clicked in order to do something. Some things are
> intuitively obvious but others, are not.

I think if you give a specific example that YOU are having trouble with,
you'll get more help. I was a MMO virgin when I started, and picked up the
interface quicly - it LOOKS more intimidating than it is, same experience I
had with Diablo II.

Pepperin

"Michael T. Peterson" <mtp1032@comcast.net> wrote in message

> This [mudane] stuff is critical for those of us just starting out and I
> was wondering if there exists documention/forum/notes/etc., that explain
> the workings of the WoW interface? Again, thanks in advance for any
> help...

Why critical? The game is designed to start you off slowly and you have
plenty of time to work out the best placement and utlisation and favourite
options as you level.

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 12:45:47 -0700, "Michael T. Peterson"
<mtp1032@comcast.net> wrote:

>By way of background, the documentation I've read seems heavy on strategy
>and tatics (and is very well done, by the way). The info in forums such as
>these are really great, especially for those who are in higher levels. As a
>newbie, tho', my biggest impediment to leveling, however, is the lack of
>information on how to use the interface (e.g., What icons/buttons, and in
>what order, must they be clicked in order to do something. Some things are
>intuitively obvious but others, are not.
>
>This [mudane] stuff is critical for those of us just starting out and I was
>wondering if there exists documention/forum/notes/etc., that explain the
>workings of the WoW interface? Again, thanks in advance for any help...

Darn near everything works the same way:

a) Find icon
b) drag to bar for easy use
c) click to activate

Things that sometimes get confusing:

1) Two related icons look the same, and you're using the wrong one.
Prime example: Fishing skill, rod. To activate the skill, you need to
equip the rod then click on the skilll. I'd been playing over a month
before I discovered what i was doing wrong.

2) The game description make you think you have a skilll that you
don't. Prime example: Feed Pet. The "Tame Pet" skill description
gets taught before "Feed Pet", but makes a point of telling you to
feed your pet immediately, to keep it happy. I spent ages trying to
work out how to feed it, instead of just getting on with the game and
being offered the skill.

3) The "will not be traded" Trade Window box (which can be used, eg,
by enchanters to enchant other peoples' stuff, or by rogues to open
locked boxes, without the object having to change hands). I once saw
a guide to this, but lost the thread, and now can't find it again -
and i still haven't worked out the "correct" enchant sequence. I end
up clicking in a somewhat arbitrary sequence until the window
disappears.

4) Skills similar characters seem to have that you don't. Some skills
you get given at the game start don't get put into your starting bar.
Most character type/races have one or two of these - check your spells
list for goodies you're missing.

There are doubtless others.

Good luck - frustrations aside, it's a great (and rather addictive)
game. Cheers - Ian

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 07:19:29 +0100, Ian Noble <fredd@clara.co.uk>
wrote:

>3) The "will not be traded" Trade Window box (which can be used, eg,
>by enchanters to enchant other peoples' stuff, or by rogues to open
>locked boxes, without the object having to change hands). I once saw
>a guide to this, but lost the thread, and now can't find it again -
>and i still haven't worked out the "correct" enchant sequence. I end
>up clicking in a somewhat arbitrary sequence until the window
>disappears.

A) Open trade window.

B) One person puts the item to be modified in the "will not be traded"
slot (lockbox, etc).

C) The other person selects the appliable skill/action and applies it
to the item in the "will not be traded" slot (eg. lockpick on a
lockbox).

D) At this point the action to be done will appear next to the item
(eg. the text "will not be traded" next to the lockbox will be
replaced with the text "lockpick", or "Enchant Weapon - Crusader" next
to your weapon).

E) If you agree with what is happening (eg. that it is the right
enchantment), click accept and the action will actually be completed -
no enchantments will actually be cast and no reagents used until both
parties click accept. If you at any time click cancel the trade window
will close and nothing at all will happen.

Btw, you can put items/money in the normal trade slots at the same
time if you need to pay for the other persons services.

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

Mel

Here are a couple of things lvl 60's I know only found out once they
were level 60!

- select a friend, right click on his icon and choose inspect, you'll be
able to see what they are wearing, the characterisitcs etc... as well as
their honour (you can't do this to yourself)
- some racial traits need to be activated! You need to drag them to your
action bar and click to make them work (Undead cannibalism and will
thing, for example)
- select a friend and press F - you will automatically select his target
(this is the keyboar shortcut I have, might be different one for you...)
-shift+2 will bring up your second action bar, or you can use the up
scroll boutton at the end of the menu
- you have to have learnt first aid to be apply a bandage to yourself.
- you can apply bandages to your friends and pet, even if they haven't
learnt first aid.
- right click on the top of your message box; you can create a new text
window, choose which channels you see on it, choose what colour you want
each channel to show up in (I have a separte window with juste "find
group" channel for when I want to go on a pick-up raid or group) - lots
more options here...
- you can open an exchange window by selecting the object in your bag
and clicking on the person (I just discovered this last week by
accident, after 6 months of WOW^^ much easier to give out water and
bread now!)

is this the sort of stuff you are after?

Mage, Kirin Tor