Managing "My Documents" Folder and other settings

Hello,
I have a PC with Windows XP professional running on it. I have 3 different
user accounts on the computer. One for me, one for roomie and one for guest.

I just installed a 160GB Hard drive for storage. I have partitioned it into
4 logical sections of almost 40GB each. Here is what I want to achieve. I
dont even know if its possible so please help.

1. I want all of "My Documents" folder for my account to be on one logical
drive suppose E. I also dont want anyone else logged onto the computer to be
able to access "My Documents" Folder. I know when the Documents and Settings
folder is on C drive, one cant access other's folder. How can I change the
mapping and have it still be private from one user to another.

2. Is there a way to block access to a particular drive for one set of
users. I want to download some videos etc from my camcorder and store them on
suppose drive G. Can I setup the sharing etc in a way that only my user
account can access the files on that drive?

Thanks,
Shoaib
(shabu49)
2 answers Last reply
More about managing documents folder settings

    Theres no need to move the My Documents folder to another drive, instead you
    can redirect the "Save To" command to a rerouted destination in the second
    hard drive. You can do this with Word and Excel, as o other program/formats
    I don't know if there's a way to redirect the save to command, as I have not
    been interested enough to find out. To change the "save to" command for
    Word: in Tools\Options\File location\select Documents and press modify find
    the folder which you can also name as My Documents. For Excel it's
    Tools\Options\Save and type in the new location. I have done this and have
    also created subfolders for each file format and named them Word and
    Excel... so you see, what you want to do is entirely possible and in my
    point of view, more than adviceable because you can keep your personal files
    allready independent from the system drive in case you ever need to format.
    This can also be done in another partition if there's only one hard drive
    available.

    As for privacy, first you need to find out in the C:\Properties if you are
    running the NTFS file system and if not, apply it to be able to do this:
    In the Control Panel\Folder Options\View\uncheck "Use simple file sharing
    (recommended). next go to the drive properties and select Security. If you
    are the only administrator, you should keep the administrators group and
    remove other user groups, you should also keep the OWNER and SYSTEM
    accounts. If you have an ordinary user account add that one also in the
    security tab. You may need to take ownership of the drive before you make
    the changes in the security tab. The following links have all the details
    on how to change take ownership and change permissions in any file, folder
    or drive.

    How to set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions in Windows
    XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418

    How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files and
    folders in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419

    How to convert a FAT16 volume or a FAT32 volume to an NTFS file system in
    Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307881

    Regards.

    ---------------------------------------
    "Shabu49" <Shabu49@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje
    > Hello,
    > I have a PC with Windows XP professional running on it. I have 3 different
    > user accounts on the computer. One for me, one for roomie and one for
    guest.

    > I just installed a 160GB Hard drive for storage. I have partitioned it
    into
    > 4 logical sections of almost 40GB each. Here is what I want to achieve. I
    > dont even know if its possible so please help.
    >
    > 1. I want all of "My Documents" folder for my account to be on one logical
    > drive suppose E. I also dont want anyone else logged onto the computer to
    be
    > able to access "My Documents" Folder. I know when the Documents and
    Settings
    > folder is on C drive, one cant access other's folder. How can I change
    the
    > mapping and have it still be private from one user to another.
    >
    > 2. Is there a way to block access to a particular drive for one set of
    > users. I want to download some videos etc from my camcorder and store them
    on
    > suppose drive G. Can I setup the sharing etc in a way that only my user
    > account can access the files on that drive?
    >

    > Thanks,
    > Shoaib
    > (shabu49)

    > 1. I want all of "My Documents" folder for my account to be on one logical
    > drive suppose E. I also dont want anyone else logged onto the computer to be
    > able to access "My Documents" Folder. I know when the Documents and Settings
    > folder is on C drive, one cant access other's folder. How can I change the
    > mapping and have it still be private from one user to another.

    How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310147

    > 2. Is there a way to block access to a particular drive for one set of
    > users. I want to download some videos etc from my camcorder and store them on
    > suppose drive G. Can I setup the sharing etc in a way that only my user
    > account can access the files on that drive?

    To make your folders private
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/windows_make_folders_private.mspx

    You Cannot Select the "Make This Folder Private" Option
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q307286/

    Hope this helps.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    In memory of Alex Nichol

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Shabu49" <Shabu49@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I have a PC with Windows XP professional running on it. I have 3 different
    > user accounts on the computer. One for me, one for roomie and one for guest.
    >
    > I just installed a 160GB Hard drive for storage. I have partitioned it into
    > 4 logical sections of almost 40GB each. Here is what I want to achieve. I
    > dont even know if its possible so please help.
    >
    > 1. I want all of "My Documents" folder for my account to be on one logical
    > drive suppose E. I also dont want anyone else logged onto the computer to be
    > able to access "My Documents" Folder. I know when the Documents and Settings
    > folder is on C drive, one cant access other's folder. How can I change the
    > mapping and have it still be private from one user to another.
    >
    > 2. Is there a way to block access to a particular drive for one set of
    > users. I want to download some videos etc from my camcorder and store them on
    > suppose drive G. Can I setup the sharing etc in a way that only my user
    > account can access the files on that drive?
    >

    > Thanks,
    > Shoaib
    > (shabu49)

Configuration My Documents Windows XP