Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

GPU Fan not spinning on new MB

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 25, 2012 6:58:54 PM

Hi,
I just bought some new hardware: i5 CPU 2320, two memory Stiks DDR3 and an Asrock P67 Pro.
I've installed everything correctly and I've used my GTX260 (wich I'm using now and it works fine)
After installing all the hardware I've started the PC and nothing on the screen...even the GPU fan wasn't spinning at all!
The CPU fan is spinning, but not the GPU.
I don't understand the Issue, cause the PSU is fine! it has 12.43V on the 12V rails (550watts) and I'm using it right now with my GTX260 on an old Foxconn MB.

Any help guys?

More about : gpu fan spinning

a b Î Nvidia
June 25, 2012 7:25:17 PM

have you plugged the GPU power connectors? those 6 pin connectors that come from the CPU???
June 25, 2012 7:26:31 PM

Yes of course, I have 2 6 pin connectors and they are all pluged, also I'm using it right now on this PC while typing those words :) 
Related resources

Best solution

a c 84 Î Nvidia
June 25, 2012 7:36:07 PM
Share

Is the GeForce GTX 260 fully seated in the ASRock P67 Pro's blue PEG slot?

Did you assemble and test the components outside of the case (i.e. breadboard testing) before installing them into the case?

Are you using a 4-pin or an 8-pin +12V CPU power connector?
June 25, 2012 7:44:46 PM

Yes the GTX is fully seated with srews. The power connectors are already available from the PSU 2 6 pin conncetors coming straight from the PSU. I tested it on the bench and into the case...Its not a faulty connection problem. Am sure of my hardware setup.
June 25, 2012 7:49:44 PM

Do you have the 8 pin power connector near the CPU plugged in with an 8 pin power connector from your PSU?
a c 84 Î Nvidia
June 25, 2012 7:51:15 PM

predator2104 said:
Yes the GTX is fully seated with srews. The power connectors are already available from the PSU 2 6 pin conncetors coming straight from the PSU. I tested it on the bench and into the case...Its not a faulty connection problem. Am sure of my hardware setup.

What about the breadboard testing?

I never said anything about the PCIe Supplementary Power Connectors. I was talking about the 4-pin or 8-pin CPU power connector. If the CPU isn't receiving power ...

The graphics card draws power through the +3.3V and +12V power lines of the PCIe x16 slot and via the +12V PCIe Supplementary Power Connectors.
June 25, 2012 7:54:43 PM

Yep I have the 4 pins connected to the MB
June 25, 2012 7:58:13 PM

Do you have a power supply with an 8 pin connector? I believe that is the issue as suggested by ko888.
June 25, 2012 8:00:51 PM

No my prower supply has a 4pin connector. But its working fine here on my Foxconn and I'm using the GTX260 right now it never failed me even when playing games like Battelefield 3
June 25, 2012 8:01:08 PM

predator2104 said:
Hi,
I just bought some new hardware: i5 CPU 2320, two memory Stiks DDR3 and an Asrock P67 Pro.
I've installed everything correctly and I've used my GTX260 (wich I'm using now and it works fine)
After installing all the hardware I've started the PC and nothing on the screen...even the GPU fan wasn't spinning at all!
The CPU fan is spinning, but not the GPU.
I don't understand the Issue, cause the PSU is fine! it has 12.43V on the 12V rails (550watts) and I'm using it right now with my GTX260 on an old Foxconn MB.

Any help guys?


Can you test with other GPU? Also try different PCEx slot. If taht does not help your motherboard is kaput
a c 84 Î Nvidia
June 25, 2012 8:02:24 PM

maxinexus said:
Can you test with other GPU? Also try different PCEx slot. If taht does not help your motherboard is kaput

If the motherboard only has one PCIe x16 slot no such testing is possible.
June 25, 2012 8:06:05 PM

yes it only has one PCI-E slot :s
I'll go tomorrow morning and try to get it replaced, hope it will work!
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
June 25, 2012 8:11:28 PM

WAG: you may be getting power from the 6 pins but not from the PCI slot itself.
June 25, 2012 8:14:57 PM

It seems to be the case indeed, I'll figure that out tomorrow :s Thanks a lot guys, will keep you posted!
a c 84 Î Nvidia
June 25, 2012 8:17:22 PM

predator2104 said:
It seems to be the case indeed, I'll figure that out tomorrow :s Thanks a lot guys, will keep you posted!

The power lines in the PCIe slot are supplied via the main ATX 24-pin motherboard connector.
June 25, 2012 8:20:19 PM

the ATX 24 pin is correctly connected since the CPU fan is spinning.
a b Î Nvidia
June 25, 2012 8:49:42 PM

well if you connected all corretly there should be a problem with the GPU itself, maybe it just died. GPU fan not spinning = not plugged to the PSU or it is just dead...
a c 84 Î Nvidia
June 25, 2012 8:52:39 PM

ricardois said:
well if you connected all corretly there should be a problem with the GPU itself, maybe it just died. GPU fan not spinning = not plugged to the PSU or it is just dead...

How can the GPU be dead if the OP is currently using it in another system?
June 25, 2012 8:55:58 PM

ko888 said:
How can the GPU be dead if the OP is currently using it in another system?


Exactly. I'm using it right now, and its fan is spinning normally and I can even start Mass Effect 3 or any game with no problems.
a b Î Nvidia
June 25, 2012 9:09:12 PM

yes i just said that it was the common problems, and if it is working in another computer it can only be the Motherboard.
June 27, 2012 12:01:23 AM

I just found this note
"Since Sandy Bridge uses lower power consumption than LGA 775 processors, the older coolers should be more than a match for the new hotness."
The new Asrock P67 pro has a sandy Bridge shipset
So if my old Foxconn is LGA775 and it works very fine with my GTX260, so it can't be a PSU issue, right?

Note: I took the new card to the shop and they said we will send it to the technical department to look into it.
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
June 27, 2012 1:53:36 AM

i thought we were looking at the PCI slot in the motherboard being flonky(?)
June 27, 2012 2:42:28 PM

After 2 days of investigation I discovered that the issue was one of the small pins which support the MB (where the screws goes in to fix the MB) is creating a short-circuit. I just removed it and Voilà its now working fine.

Thank you everyone for your help:) 
a c 84 Î Nvidia
June 27, 2012 6:05:17 PM

predator2104 said:
After 2 days of investigation I discovered that the issue was one of the small pins which support the MB (where the screws goes in to fix the MB) is creating a short-circuit. I just removed it and Voilà its now working fine.

Thank you everyone for your help:) 

That's exactly why I suggested breadboard testing in my first reply above.
June 28, 2012 6:50:18 AM

Best answer selected by predator2104.
!