Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$900-1000 Computer build help

Last response: in Systems
August 14, 2012 10:10:22 PM

Hey I am somewhat new to the computer building thing and i would just like some help with the parts. Also if you guys could answer a couple questoins that would be great.

So a couple weeks ago i posted a forum topic and got some help. i would just like a couple more opinions before i actually go for it.

Here is the topic that I created a while ago:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/353455-31-need-1000-g...

Here is approximately what we came up with(has a couple changes):
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Heatzone10/saved/

If you could give your thoughst about this it would be great

Approximate Purchase Date: 1-2 weeks

Budget Range: 900-100

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Multimedia production

Are you buying a monitor: later

Parts to Upgrade: Everything except Monitor keyboard and mouse.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, I will be buying a copy of windows 7

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, but willing to go where ever is cheapest

Parts Preferences: Intel

Overclocking:No

SLI or Crossfire:Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: I am using an older monitor that i do not know the resolution of. Later when i have more money on hand i will get a 1900x1080p monitor.

Additional Comments: I am planning on using Adobe products such as Photoshop and After Effects.

Also I have a couple of questions that i'd like the answers to if you don't mind:

Will the Gpu fit in the Coolermaster storm scout case?

Is the 7870 Hawk edition that much of an upgrade to the twin frozr if i am not planning on OC'ing (reasoning behind hawk i that it is around the same price with discount).

This may be a stupid question but will the parts I order come with all the neccessary wiring/cables needed to put the components together.

I think that is just about it, any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
August 15, 2012 1:15:20 AM

the 7850 isnt too much behind the 7870 in terms of performance. you can overclock 7850s quite easily to match the performance.
m
l
Related resources
August 15, 2012 1:20:30 AM

FIRST OF ALL, READ YOUR MESSAGES.

Hello fellow.

I read you other thread and to be hones with you, i don't think you will need an i7, the i7 performs MAYBE ~25-40% better than the i5 in professional task but that DOES NOT means the i5 is bad for professional usage and for i can tell your are not going to use your PC very professionally right?... i guess its more like a hobby.

anyways, here is what i recommend you to buy:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: TUNIQ Tower 120 Extreme 90.7 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($69.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($149.98 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($114.98 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Rosewill 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $971.38
m
l
August 15, 2012 5:26:10 AM

Honestly I have to agree with what Aqualipt says, I really have no use with a i7 proccessor. Though it is interesting that you both thought i wanted one. Im not sure if you guys actually looked into the build i linked towards. the beginning of the post. If you didn't look at it then i would appreciate it if you did. If you did look at it and still chose to alter the build, then could you give me reasons as to why you think that is a better way to go.

If you are willing to take the time to, please answer my questions at the bottom of the OP.

Also I am sorry I didn't mention this in the OP, but I am not really looking to change the system build, Just opinions as to what could make it better for less/same cost.

Thanks
m
l
August 15, 2012 4:18:20 PM

I'd still like you to explain the changes that you made before I go and buy the parts.

Oh and correct me if i am wrong but aren't ssd's only used to speed up the boot process? And maybe also the load times of games. But after that they don't do much?

thanks
m
l
August 15, 2012 5:03:47 PM

1: z77 is more of the way to go if you are overclocking compared to Z75
2:SSDs increases load times of every app and how responsive the computer generally feels. it takes about a min or so to load some adobe apps (or so i think. it takes long) while it takes around 15sec to do so. when you access a file, it also loads much faster. your call if you need the speed
3:i chose this case because i know it has great build quality and has lots of room in the back for cables. antec has great build quality for all of its cases
4:600w is necessary for crossfire. if not, you can make do with a 400w unit. i chose this one because it is just as good as the xfx one while being modular and cheaper
m
l
August 15, 2012 5:33:56 PM

Well i am not planning on OCing so we can rule out the z77, unless it will help even without OCing. And right now the speed an ssd will add isn't really neccessary, and i am sure i can get one later if i need to.

Got a question about the case, wondering about how the Coolermaster case i have in the build will compare to the antec case. Just been leaning towards the coolermaster cases because i like the look of them and think they have quiet a few features, plus they have the cable management space behind the mobo which seems really usefull.
m
l
August 15, 2012 5:38:28 PM

if you are not overclocking, i will change a few items then.

if you are to get a SSD in the future, you will have to do a clean install of windows on the SSD. why not just do it from the get go?

i personally dont like cooler master cases other than the haf xm (which is awesome but expensive). antec cases are usually my recommendation given how well antec makes their cases.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/eHWU
m
l
August 15, 2012 5:50:49 PM

Just out of curiosity why do you not like the coolermaster cases. I think they are great from what ive seen i don't know if most cases are able to route cables through the space behind the motherboard or not. and i have read many reviews that say the cases are actually pretty good.

So i was thinking about something like this:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/eI0O

Kept everything in the build except for Cpu and Gpu

Switched the Gpu because i will not be overclocking the 7850 to get 7870 performance. And i Chose the hawk version cause it gets speeds that twin frozr II OC's to if i am right.

m
l
August 15, 2012 6:01:15 PM

its just me. i prefer cases without LEDs, with tons of silence, and without windows. silence is the main thing when i bought my case (which was a 550D but i should have waited for the fractal define r4 because the define r3 was my favourite.)

cabling is also another thing. i know the antec case has a lot of room since you can fit a regular case fan in the back to cool the motherboard and the fact that it has many cable tie down points.

the case should be your choice since it is the thing that you will be looking at the most.
m
l
August 15, 2012 6:05:55 PM

I'll probably end up changing the case in that case(Pun intended) i am completely fine with what you mentioned and noise isn't that big of a deal. Could i get you to look over the link of the revised build?

Its on the post you just replied to
m
l
August 15, 2012 6:10:16 PM

the cpu wont overclock on the motherboard i provided since you said no overclocking so i didnt provide that option

personally, theres hardly any difference between the hawk edition and the regular twin frozr 3 since they use the same fan but the hawk edition has dust removal and thats about it. and for the price of the hawk edition, i could probably get a 7950 for not much more

id actually wait till tomorow, look at the 660ti benchmarks, and then decide on the vidoe card purchase
m
l
August 15, 2012 6:22:34 PM

I'll see about the 660ti.

Is this what you were talking about then?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/eI7E

Just a tad bit to expensive considering i'll still have to get the OS
m
l
August 16, 2012 10:15:04 PM

id still get a 660ti. from other sites i read, they generally show nvidia beating amd. then linustechtips shows that the 660ti he had beat a 7950 in large multiplayer games
m
l
August 17, 2012 12:31:29 AM

OK then. And a quick question. What brand are you thinking of using? I was thinking of going with the Evga SuperClocked model. You think that is good?

Later on i might try and upgrade to Two of the 660's in Sli. Am I able to do that with the build i'll mention below

Oh and here is what i am thinking about with the build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/eORa

I switche to the haf xm becuase of the room it allows for the GPU, dont think the scout has enough to be comfortable. I downgraded to an i5 2500k to be able to afford the switch. Should i do that or take out the CPU cooler instead?
m
l
August 17, 2012 3:04:28 AM

Any Reason why it is better? And the build is a tad bit expensive unfortunately.

And on the note of SLI the power draw with one is like 306 if i am correct. So SLI would be right at the border adding on another 150 Watts. What would be the recommended wattage if i was to add SLI later on?
m
l
August 17, 2012 1:47:59 PM

not necessarily. 2 660ti draws about 300w more or less under 100% with some overclocking. a cpu at max will draw about 120w when you overclock it to around 4.2ghz (thats what i would do). so the 600w is fine
m
l
August 17, 2012 3:43:23 PM

So in other words i need around 600-650 if i was to upgrade later?

What PSU would you recommend using?
m
l
August 17, 2012 4:24:40 PM

look into my build. it explains everything
m
l
August 19, 2012 10:04:23 PM

Sorry i couldn't get around to it sooner. are you implying that the psu you had would be enough?
m
l
August 19, 2012 10:46:22 PM

yes it would be enough
m
l
August 19, 2012 11:57:43 PM

OK then thanks. This is probably what i am going to go with.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/eXaW

Changed to a better Mobo becuase this one supports Sli (which i might later on for more power) and the one i had before didn't.
m
l
August 20, 2012 12:42:25 AM

heatzone10 said:
OK then thanks. This is probably what i am going to go with.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/eXaW

Changed to a better Mobo becuase this one supports Sli (which i might later on for more power) and the one i had before didn't.

My build is better.
m
l
August 20, 2012 3:45:19 AM

Instead of just saying it is better, could you please explain why.

And i don't think i will go with it because i am happy with what i have currently. And the build you listed is more expensive so i am inclined to keep with mine.
m
l
August 20, 2012 4:22:39 AM

heatzone10 said:
Instead of just saying it is better, could you please explain why.

And i don't think i will go with it because i am happy with what i have currently. And the build you listed is more expensive so i am inclined to keep with mine.

It only a bit more expensive.

Why is it better?

*i5 3570k instead of the 2500k

*better cooler

*Argumentally better GPU

*Is has an SSD

-you can drop the SSD and get a chepaer cooler to buy the GTX670.

Happy?
m
l
August 20, 2012 5:07:37 AM

It's not a contest mate. Better cooler is subjective. Not everyone cares for super low temps.
m
l
August 20, 2012 5:59:26 AM

azeem40 said:
It's not a contest mate. Better cooler is subjective. Not everyone cares for super low temps.

Yeah... you know, temps aren't that important when you overclock and i read somewhere that Ivy runs cooler when you overclock it ;) 

Jokes aside....i simply don't like the 212 EVO, imo is ugly and overated, i rather pay a lil more for something better.
m
l
August 20, 2012 6:06:17 AM

Your personal preference on how it looks doesn't really mean anything. If it suffices for the OP, it shouldn't matter whether you like it or not.
m
l
August 20, 2012 3:55:31 PM

The problem is that the 189.99 price is in store pickup at microcenter which i have none around me. You'd have to add 30$ in order to get the acurate price. And if i take the SSD away i am left without storage, which i am pretty sure i need. And honestly i wasn't even thinking i needed a cpu cooler because i am not planning to OC so that's negligable in the first place, i just grabbed one incase i actually will OC sometime later.

Sorry but that's just my two cents :??: 
m
l
August 20, 2012 4:45:41 PM

heatzone10 said:
The problem is that the 189.99 price is in store pickup at microcenter which i have none around me. You'd have to add 30$ in order to get the acurate price. And if i take the SSD away i am left without storage, which i am pretty sure i need. And honestly i wasn't even thinking i needed a cpu cooler because i am not planning to OC so that's negligable in the first place, i just grabbed one incase i actually will OC sometime later.

Sorry but that's just my two cents :??: 

i am not gonna even try to convince to overclock but...well, downgrade the 3570k to a 3550/3450 and remove the CPU cooler.

*if your not gonna even overclock then you are not gonna do SLI/Crossfire... get this board instead

*If you are not gonna overclock drop the CPU cooler.

*a 650w is not needed for a single card setup, buy this PSU

*Its a LOT more expensive to upgrade your GPU than your storage, a SSD is NEVER a priority, get a nice 500GB like this one

*Use the savings from the CPU, SSD and PSU to buy a GTX670

This is how your build should look:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.36 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 500W ATX12V Power Supply ($57.08 @ NCIX US)
Total: $860.89

*Add 30$ because you're gonna have to buy the CPU from NCIX and not micro center.

*This build is a LOT faster for gaming than the previous one i made

m
l
August 20, 2012 5:42:52 PM

I didn't say i wouldn't OC. i was going to do some reasearch on it and then see if i could do it safely without injuring my computer. That is the reason why i kept the 2500k. And the i5 3550 is the same price as the 2500k so i figured i'd keep the 2500k and make the adjustments on the mobo. I was planning on doing sli later on when i had the money for it and the game requirements made it a good option. Sorry if I am being incredibly annoying. And on the note of the PSU the psu i have listed in the build is actually cheaper than the one you had listed and it has more wattage. I figured that it would be ok and meet the needs when i do go sli later on. if you wanted to sway my opinion you should have done it when i was asking the questions instead of coming up right as i was about to close it and saying what we had come up with is no good.
m
l
August 20, 2012 5:45:27 PM

I'd rather get the SSD because it is a huge hassle reinstalling everything again.
m
l
August 20, 2012 6:52:20 PM

azeem40 said:
I'd rather get the SSD because it is a huge hassle reinstalling everything again.

So you rather get a weaker card and a SSD than a STRONG card without SSD just because its a "hassle" to reinstall everything once you get it? dude, i generally love your suggestion but advises like this will make the op do stupid things.
m
l
August 20, 2012 7:00:04 PM

heatzone10 said:
I didn't say i wouldn't OC. i was going to do some reasearch on it and then see if i could do it safely without injuring my computer. That is the reason why i kept the 2500k. And the i5 3550 is the same price as the 2500k so i figured i'd keep the 2500k and make the adjustments on the mobo. I was planning on doing sli later on when i had the money for it and the game requirements made it a good option. Sorry if I am being incredibly annoying. And on the note of the PSU the psu i have listed in the build is actually cheaper than the one you had listed and it has more wattage. I figured that it would be ok and meet the needs when i do go sli later on. if you wanted to sway my opinion you should have done it when i was asking the questions instead of coming up right as i was about to close it and saying what we had come up with is no good.

*You stated in the first post that you do not want to overclock, that's why i linked a non-overclock-able CPU, you should have typed "Yes, but i want to learn how to it safely"

*If you want to learn about overclocking read this and this this (the second link is more important)

*The PSU you listed may have more wattage but that doesn't make it better, if you want to SLI/Crossfire (imo, that BS because 99/100 people who say "iam gonna sli later" never do it because it doesn't make sense) you will need at least a 650w PSU (7850/7870) or a 750w (SLI GTX670.... waaay stronger card)

Quote:
if you wanted to sway my opinion you should have done it when i was asking the questions instead of coming up right as i was about to close it and saying what we had come up with is no good.

bro.... i am not obligated to help you, i am simply sharing my knowledge with you so don't too picky, we are all using our free time (actually this is something i do when i watching TV or when i am with my kids :lol: ) to help people like you... i am not saying i don't like your attitude but keep it cool ;) 
m
l
August 20, 2012 9:59:22 PM

I know you aren't obligated and i am sorry if i am coming across as rude. Just got something that i think will do fine and am kind of wanting to stick with it. If I end up messing the whole thing up and getting crappy parts then so be it, it was my mistake.

I Agree that this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/f8X5 is more preferable i simply don't have the money to afford it (without changing parts) I would go for the 670 if i had another $50-100 but I don't :??:  .

And thanks for taking some of your free time to help me. :) 

m
l

Best solution

August 20, 2012 10:17:03 PM

heatzone10 said:
I know you aren't obligated and i am sorry if i am coming across as rude. Just got something that i think will do fine and am kind of wanting to stick with it. If I end up messing the whole thing up and getting crappy parts then so be it, it was my mistake.

I Agree that this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/f8X5 is more preferable i simply don't have the money to afford it (without changing parts) I would go for the 670 if i had another $50-100 but I don't :??:  .

And thanks for taking some of your free time to help me. :) 

Hmmmm... can you afford this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/faxT ?? its almost 100$ cheaper and you still get the GTX670... just a few thoughts:

*Set your priorities, a CPU cooler and SSD are not required.

*Your getting a high-end Case in a low budget build, there is no point in doing that.

*You can buy your SSD and CPU cooler when you NEED them.

*I strongly suggest you to keep the i5 2500/3570 (K) and the GTX670

*Don't get the 7850/7870/GTX660ti... look: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/598?vs=548
August 21, 2012 12:02:30 AM

id actually get the SSD now rather than later on to avoid the hassle of reinstalling the OS on the SSD

its much easier to go with a SSD now than to do it in the future. im pretty dam sure you dont fill 100gb that fast anyways
m
l
August 21, 2012 12:06:07 AM

TheBigTroll said:
id actually get the SSD now rather than later on to avoid the hassle of reinstalling the OS on the SSD

its much easier to go with a SSD now than to do it in the future. im pretty dam sure you dont fill 100gb that fast anyways

*Re-installing the OS is not a hassle, there are tons of free and powerful backup utilities out there.

*100GB fill up VERY fast....specially if you *cough*keep Netflix movies somehow*cough* :lol: 
m
l
August 21, 2012 12:18:08 AM

you would then have to reactivate windows from microsoft. i rather just lower my storage usage for now and later when i plug in the hard drive, all i have to do is activate it from your computer instead of using all this cloning software to move stuff back and forth from drives

using a laptop with 80gb storage and i cant use half of it (maybe because i use xp atm?)
m
l
August 21, 2012 12:50:38 AM

TheBigTroll said:
you would then have to reactivate windows from microsoft. i rather just lower my storage usage for now and later when i plug in the hard drive, all i have to do is activate it from your computer instead of using all this cloning software to move stuff back and forth from drives

using a laptop with 80gb storage and i cant use half of it (maybe because i use xp atm?)

Well...i am using a Lenovo Thinkpad W530 with a 500GB SSD and it only has 200GB free because its mostly filled up with movies for my kids and a few games.
m
l
August 21, 2012 12:52:56 AM

you "ahem. cough" somehow keep your netflix movies? "ahem. cough cough"
m
l
August 21, 2012 1:11:39 AM

TheBigTroll said:
you "ahem. cough" somehow keep your netflix movies? "ahem. cough cough"

yep... and i am pretty sure i will get banned if i mention the P word... :lol: 
m
l
August 21, 2012 5:48:56 AM

well believe me i wont use that much space at all. I have 149 gb of memory and i have only been able to use up 40 gbs of space since i got it. Then again after i get the newer computer i'll be getting games that take up much more space.
m
l
August 21, 2012 5:53:43 AM

Still not worth not getting an SSD first. I am sure he can survive a few weeks on an SSD.
m
l
!