How do you update your Firmware ? NOKIA 6230

Last response: in Brands
Share
August 24, 2004 10:58:46 PM

Hello,

I have been advised to update the Firmware on my NOKIA 6230. It is currently
on version 3.15 apparently there is a 3.17 ????

I haven't got a clue how to update it ? Can you download from somewhere ?
Does it cost anything ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks !

Jon....
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 10:58:47 PM

"Jon" <J@hornby999.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have been advised to update the Firmware on my NOKIA 6230. It is
currently
> on version 3.15 apparently there is a 3.17 ????
>
> I haven't got a clue how to update it ? Can you download from somewhere
?
> Does it cost anything ?
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks !

Firstly, the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" springs to mind.
Are you having problems that a firmware update is known to fix..? If not,
leave well alone.

There are numerous "cheap" ways to update firmware, many of these are
known to be unreliable and could cause your phone to become a useless
brick..! Avoid at *ALL COSTS* the cheap flashing software that you'll see
around on the net.

There are two *reliable* ways to do it, the first is to spend £200+ on a
Griffin box or similar, which unless you are planning a career doing this
sort of thing is hardly cost effective..! The second is to take the phone
to a Nokia Service Centre. If the phone is still under warranty, it will
be free, if not it might cost you a reasonable amount, it depends on how
much you need it done - again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it..! Do you
really *need* to get it done..?

Ivor
August 24, 2004 11:23:56 PM

Ivor,

That's great mate I am going to take your advice. It was just to get the
phone to recognise a 512 MMC card but I have since sold it to a friend for
his Palm top HP.

Thanks again fella !

Jon.

"Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message

> "Jon" <J@hornby999.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have been advised to update the Firmware on my NOKIA 6230. It is
> currently
> > on version 3.15 apparently there is a 3.17 ????
> >
> > I haven't got a clue how to update it ? Can you download from somewhere
> ?
> > Does it cost anything ?
> >
> > Any help would be much appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks !
>
> Firstly, the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" springs to mind.
> Are you having problems that a firmware update is known to fix..? If not,
> leave well alone.
>
> There are numerous "cheap" ways to update firmware, many of these are
> known to be unreliable and could cause your phone to become a useless
> brick..! Avoid at *ALL COSTS* the cheap flashing software that you'll see
> around on the net.
>
> There are two *reliable* ways to do it, the first is to spend £200+ on a
> Griffin box or similar, which unless you are planning a career doing this
> sort of thing is hardly cost effective..! The second is to take the phone
> to a Nokia Service Centre. If the phone is still under warranty, it will
> be free, if not it might cost you a reasonable amount, it depends on how
> much you need it done - again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it..! Do you
> really *need* to get it done..?
>
> Ivor

Related resources
August 25, 2004 1:18:57 AM

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 18:58:46 +0100, "Jon"
<J@hornby999.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have been advised to update the Firmware on my NOKIA 6230. It is currently
>on version 3.15 apparently there is a 3.17 ????
>
>I haven't got a clue how to update it ? Can you download from somewhere ?
>Does it cost anything ?
>
>Any help would be much appreciated.

How do yoy think you would benefit from upgrading the firmaware of
your 6230? What isn't it doing now? Have you heard of the phrase "If
it ain't broke, don't fix it"?
--
Cheers

Peter

Remove the INVALID to reply
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 5:06:38 AM

"Jon" <J@hornby999.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> That's great mate I am going to take your advice. It was just to get the
> phone to recognise a 512 MMC card

A firmware update would not have changed this anyway, it does not change the
pins on the 6230, only changes it _might_ have made are the correct
reporting of the size of the card, if it didn't work in the first place, it
will never work.

Buy your card from recognised 6230 MMC suppliers and it will work on all
6230 no matter the firmware.