Why wont my Desktop PSU work in my server?

gaate

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
A few weeks ago I started a project to put a 1U server into a midtower case for more effective, quieter cooling, easier storage, and the option to put in a video card. I'v already modded the case to make it fit, bought backplates for the cpu coolers, and got a riser for the GPU. The only thing I still need to do is get the PSU working.

The PSU I'm trying to use with the server is a CX430 from corsair. Currently the server is running on a Model#"DPS-400yb-3 A" Since that means nothing to anyone (including google) here is a picture of all the information on the power supply.

nkIy7.jpg

Here is the link to the corsair power supply I am trying to put in it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

Here are the stats from the corsair power supply.

vTuXi.jpg

I haven't worked with servers much as all, in fact this project is my first time working with one so I know my problem might be obvious (hopefully.) If anyone has any info on why its not working or if its not compatible ect. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

gaate

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
I'v read online that I might be able to buy a dell adapter cable to make a regular PSU work with a system that is proprietary? I can't find much more info on this though. Anyone know if that's possible? That would be a huge relief as I can't find a cheap Proprietary PSU.

EDIT: I sent a email to Delta Electronics asking if they had any information on the PSU they could send me, hopefully I will find out something there that could lead to a solution.

nigelren

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
If you can find a manual for the server - it will probably show what connectors are linked from the PSU to the motherboard, I wouldn't be surprised that there aren't at least one 4 pin molex connector which provides extra power for the CPU's or memory.
It's difficult to tell from the motherboard picture, but there look to be 2 white power connectors - one next the the main power connector ( which may just make it a 24 pin connector ) and the other by the black connector on the opposite side of the motherboard from all the external connectors ( i.e. USB ).

gaate

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

Ya there are two P4 power connectors besides the 24 pin power. I have both of those plugged in along with the 24 pin and it still is giving me a quick flash of an error and then shutting off. The power supply in the server will turn on the server when it is only plugged into those 3 ports. When I unplug those 3 from the server PSU and plug in my CX430 to only those 3 it will not turn on.

gaate

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
So, If all else fails. Does anyone know if it would be possible, and then if there is a good way of rewiring the wires on the 24 pin cable to match the proprietary PSU on the server? I'm kind of assuming its a proprietary problem now as I have done some research and a LOT of older dell servers come with them.

gaate

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
(sorry for like 3 posts in a row, it wont let me edit my posts.)

After looking at the PSU's 24 pin pinout, the only difference it has with the CX430 power supply is that these two pins are switched

TEnRV.gif

This is judging by color.

gaate

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
I have an old dell server that I am trying hook up to a new power supply.

The server won't start when I plug in the power supply (it will start with the power supply that came with it) When I examine the 24 pin plugs on the Server PSU and then my CX430 there is only 1 difference. The (in this picture) 11 pin which has 2 wires going into it, is in the spot of the 1 pin.

TEnRV.gif

I am very tempted to just pull out those pins, switch them up, and then plug it in. But that's a terrible terrible idea, so I figured I'd ask here first.

What I'm wondering is if those 2 pins being switched would even effect the server posting, and then if it would be such a bad idea to switch them around.

pauls3743

Distinguished
Sorry I never revisitted, until now. Looking at the motherboard pic, you have a 4-pin AUX power connection beside the 24-pin AND another at the front of the motherboard, just up from the front panel connector. Have you connected this?

It's important as dual processor motherboards need the extra juice for the extra processor.

z0mghii

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
Sorry for reviving this thread, but I recently got one of these exact servers and was literally trying to do the exact same thing OP was trying to do. I am also using a corsair desktop powersupply and I'm having the same problem as OP. Server starts up for a split second and then errors out. I have both the P4 connectors plugged in, bought a molex to P4. I have tried using my 400W and 500W psu and both aren't giving me any good results. I'm thinking about using the server's PSU to power the mobo, then having another desktop psu power the fans as the server PSU only has a 10 Pin connector and no molex. Would love to hear OP's solution if he went through.