Budget htpc build $500

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
August 14, 2012 11:46:02 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: possibly in the next month or so

Budget Range: $400-500 (will go higher if requires)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: HD playback watching movies, 3D movies, blu rays.

Are you buying a monitor: no

Parts to Upgrade: full system

Do you need to buy OS: No. Have windows 7 home premium. Open to Linux too if you think its better for htpc

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: new egg, amazon

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: looking at these AMD a series apu's. Used 1 in my sisters comp and loved them ever since

Overclocking: if needed but probably not

SLI or Crossfire: don't think it will be necessary

Your Monitor Resolution: 1080P 55" Sony bravia 3D tv

Additional Comments: I have a TV tuner card that I have never used in my fiances computer. Its about 2 1/2 years old

Basically just want some suggestions on parts you think will be necessary for this build. I've never gone into the htpc world so I don't know much about how it would work or what parts should be necessary. I do know how to build a computer. I've done 3 in the past year

Would an a8 apu be sufficient for 3D HD playback?

I would also like an ssd. Probably 120gb or 128 for the is and applications and I have a few externals drives for now that already have my media on it. So an internal drive won't be required yet. Though I will need room to slap a few tb drives in there in the future.

And I don't want it to be huge. A medium sized case that would look good on an entertainment center is most desired

More about : budget htpc build 500

August 15, 2012 1:30:48 AM

im sorry, but you'll need a water cooled rig with SLI 680s to have a proper HTPC :) 

I keed i keed, yeah a Llano based build would be a pretty good deal right now and a decently powerful rig. Now keep in mind, it won't really be upgradeable, whereas an intel build would be. If you got an intel Z75/77 based build, you could get something like a G860 and an HD 6570 to use for your HTPC, but you could still upgrade to a core i7-3770k later on if you wanted a gaming/productivity build. you know what i mean? Oh btw, if you get a llano rig, be sure to get ddr3 1600 RAM, it's about the same price as 1333, but it helps your IGP a bit to get 1600, and try to get them without heatsinks since you'll be building in a smaller case.

Here's some suggestions for other budget parts though...

PSU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (i have the 550w version, it's sweet and the innards are made by superflower).

Case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (i have this as well, and it's amazing in my opinion for the price. it's small, very lightweight, everything fits perfectly, two ODD bays, plenty of HDD bays, quiet fans, it's just nice).

SSD: go to newegg.com, pay close attention to the reviews, and get the one that is rated the best for the most reasonable price. Doing this is good to do anyway, but it especially holds true for SSDs. PSU, motherboard, and case reviews can be a bit deceiving at times IMHO because they're a little more subjective, but SSD reviews are pretty objective. they either work or they don't. they're reliable or they're not.

so there's a few ideas, hope it helps!
m
l
August 15, 2012 1:56:19 AM

~500$ HTPC coming up!

CPU: AMD A8-3870K 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus F1A55-M LX PLUS Micro ATX FM1 Motherboard ($59.98 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($38.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($63.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 360 ATX Mini Tower Case ($38.86 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 400W ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHOS104-06 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Drive ($66.12 @ NCIX US)
Total: $502.91

*Nice SSD for ultra fast booting and app launching.
*2TB of storage to download all the movies/songs/pictures you want
*Fairly fast CPU compared to other Intel CPUs
*Amazingly good integrated GPU.
*8GB of RAM for multitasking.
*Small, cool and quiet case.
*Blu-ray player.

If you like this build and are happy with it pick a best answer to close this thread.
m
l
August 15, 2012 2:35:49 AM

A6 Llano you wont need more power than this , and you wont need OCing
A75 motherboard for USB 3 connectivity
2 x2 gig of DDR3 1866 MHz memory improves graphics performance since system memory is also graphics memory . More than enough RAM for every day use
blu ray drive
400 watt psu
silverstone GD05 case
WD green hard drive
CM gemini m4 low profile cpu cooler

No real point in an ssd since you are unlikely to boot regularly from cold .
m
l
!