Intel i5 3570 processor temps too high?

provaisen

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
Hello,

I recently bought an Intel i5 3570 (not the k version) 3.4Ghz processor and I played BF3 with the Intel stock cooler.
I'm a little concerned at the temperatures I got with the processor.

It ranged from 60C to 66C.

Is it safe to run the processor like this?
What is the maximum temperature the processor can run at?

(I understand the Intel stock cooler is garbage)

Thanks in advance.
:D

Thats pretty high considering the thermal junction is 77 degrees celcius. I would make sure the heatsink is seated right. For the locking mechanism make sure the black pins are pushed all the way through the clear female adapter. You should be able to see all the black pins clearly.

EDIT: Did you use the thermal paste that came on the heatsink or did you use your own. If yo applied it yourself did you clean all the old thermal paste off before applying a new coat?

provaisen

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
I used the thermal paste that came on the heatsink.

I tried pushing on the pins again on the heatsink, and there was a click, I'll go test on BF3 and let you know the temps.

provaisen

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
Hello again, I played BF3 again, and the temps have remained at 60C - this was on a smaller map, half the scale of the previous map I got the higher temps.

Is this still too high?

cbrunnem

Distinguished

i think 65*c is fair from high. that processor can take upper 80s for a long time. its not recommended but if it was bad for the cpu itd shut itself down which it does a 105*c.

meneedhelp

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
For BF3... my comp is near the heat vent...

using a $30 hyper 212 ... I get 40 - 45 degrees on average..

but 60 is about mid-high... but its the right temperature for using the stock cooler..

If 10-15 degrees is important to you then u can get a cheap aftermarket cooler...

If the temperature is consistently 60-65 you don't have to worry too much.. the CPU is designed to handle this temperature... But if you notice it to get 75+ and you feel uneasy down the road.. then u can invest in a cheap aftermarket cooler 2+months from now when needed