Sign in with
Your question

Dell/HP upgraded vs. ibuypower/cyberpower

Last response: in Systems
August 15, 2012 12:27:15 AM

hi
i was wondering if it would be better to buy a $400 dell/hp and upgrade the graphics card to a amd 6670or go ahead and buy a prebuilt ibuypower/cyberpower gaming pc for $550. i am not computer savy so i cant really build a pc.

More about : dell upgraded ibuypower cyberpower

August 15, 2012 12:43:38 AM

I'd go with the Cyberpower. The Dell/HP use non-standard parts so there isn't anyway to upgrade things like the motherboard or power supply down the road. Cyberpower and Ibuypower both use off the shelf parts.
m
l
August 15, 2012 12:51:27 AM

OK thanks i have heard though, that cyberpower has bad customer service and that ibuypower is not much better. have you had good experiences with them?
m
l
Related resources
August 15, 2012 1:05:04 AM

scannall said:
I'd go with the Cyberpower. The Dell/HP use non-standard parts so there isn't anyway to upgrade things like the motherboard or power supply down the road. Cyberpower and Ibuypower both use off the shelf parts.

OK thanks i have heard though, that cyberpower has bad customer service and that ibuypower is not much better. have you had good experiences with them?
m
l
August 15, 2012 1:13:23 AM

I have heard that their computers have problems (and see newegg feedback). But if you are confident enough to replace a video card, it is not much harder to build a computer.
m
l
a b α HP
August 15, 2012 4:19:55 AM

scannall said:

FWIW, I've upgrade a bunch of HPs (and years ago a bunch of Sonys) to make gaming machines and never hit a problem.

HP Q6600 based system with 5770, keeping stock 350w PSU
HP Q6600 based system with 9600GT, keeping stock PSU
HP Althlon 1.3Ghz with 7600GS
HP AMD 3700+ with x800
HP AMD 5200+ with (i forgot what, home theater card)
HP AMD 5000+ with (forget this one too and it's still in production for video recording)
HP p4 2.8 with x800xl
Hp p4 2.53 with (at different times) 8600gts, 4650, 3850 256mb
Hp 1.6 with (I forget what)
HP i7-920 with 5850
HP i7-920 with gtx260 1.5GB
HP i7-920 with 5770
Hp i7-860 with 6770

Those above were all different machines. I've NEVER hit a problem with any non standard part, or any other compatibility issues. All power supplies were ATX, all cases/MB were standard sizes. No problems at all. And yes I done MB swaps on fails.

FWIW I buy refurbs, not new systems. That usually saves enough to pay for video upgrades.

EDIT: back at the OP: you said "if it would be better to buy a $400 dell/hp and upgrade the graphics card to a amd 6670" I don't know if it would be better, but clearly its the strategy I follow. Suggestion: If you get a HP or Dell make sure the case is MIDTOWER and not SLIM or SMALL FORM FACTOR. Then you have the option of using a full size video card instead of more expensive low profile. Also you can slap in a HD7750 and get a bit better gaming if you can spend the extra money vs the very nice HD6670 you referenced.
m
l
August 16, 2012 12:17:55 AM

I've done quite a few over the years as well and never hit problems except in slim or small form factor just like tsnor mentioned. For example, I have a dell optiplex 745 slim that I can't really upgrade with standard parts. But even for that one, HIS has a low profile HD 7750 video card. So it is not a problem at all to upgrade. Just make sure the case is normal sized for convenience and that it has the proper slots for your desired video card (which they usually do on new computers).
m
l
August 16, 2012 11:22:32 AM

ukeandreas said:

I just got a Squaretrade warranty. It was cheap, and when the video card died after a couple years they sent someone out with a brand new one. It was an upgrade to boot. Went from a 4890 to a 6870. So I never had to deal with Cyberpowers customer service. Other than the video card, the machine has been great. I'm hanging on to it until Haswell comes out. An overclocked 17-920 has plenty of power so upgrading isn't really some great need right now.
m
l
!