Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Damn ... new pc is winning!

Last response: in Systems
August 15, 2012 12:34:34 AM

Sweet new PC and when I turn it on the CD will not work?! I have an ASRock Z77 Pro3 board, a Samsung SH-222BB CD and a Vertex Agility3 SSD and I get in to the bios and see everything exactly as I would expect. So I've done this ...
> set the boot order to be CD first and SSD second
> confirmed everything is seen/identified
> verified the sata ports are set to ACHI

I turn on the PC and the screen reads: reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key

I push the button on the front of the CD drive and the try will not open. Initially I got a light on the front (LED) but not now. So far I have ...

1) shut down the PC, opened the drive with a paperclip, put in the Win7 disk and turned on the PC ... drive wont close even if I push the button ... disk won't load even if I hit enter

2) repeat step 1 but while the pc is off close the CD tray ... same result

3) tried every SATA power connection from the PSU ... two cables with two connectors each ... each time I change the connections I verified the drives appear correctly in bios

4) swapped the SATA data cable with the drives ... no difference

5) tried all 4 SATA connections on the mobo ... no difference

5) tried another drive (an HP DVD 1260) ... no difference

I'm so far out of ideas I don't have a clue! I would appreciate any idea on how to get the CD working so I can load Win& on this box.

More about : damn winning

Best solution

August 15, 2012 3:27:22 AM

Im guessing the second drive u tried was a dvd /rw, but i had the same issue cause it was a dvd and was using a cd drive lol if u cant get the disc to work, i had to use a usb with win7 on to install it, if u can get a usb with it on.
August 15, 2012 4:27:11 PM

lazyboy947 said:
Im guessing the second drive u tried was a dvd /rw, but i had the same issue cause it was a dvd and was using a cd drive lol if u cant get the disc to work, i had to use a usb with win7 on to install it, if u can get a usb with it on.

Once you got Win7 installed on the PC did the drive start working fine?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 15, 2012 4:30:00 PM

are you sure that the drive is a reader/writer not just a writer/burner driver

im pretty sure there both just writers aka-cant read cds on can write them
m
l
August 15, 2012 6:46:00 PM

PanicMaster85 said:
are you sure that the drive is a reader/writer not just a writer/burner driver

im pretty sure there both just writers aka-cant read cds on can write them

That is something I had not considered! I thought they could all read ... and some could write. They write because both have software to do so.

More homework tonight ...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 15, 2012 9:20:39 PM

yeah well lets hope that that is the problem... if not i have a nice one for you(i have it and it works great!)
m
l
August 17, 2012 12:06:36 AM

Solution to the win7 install was a bootable usb ... go to wintoflash.com to see how ... it is sweet. Tip from Area51ReOpened ... one of the awesome moderators here at Toms!!!
m
l
August 17, 2012 12:06:40 AM

Best answer selected by jrau.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 17, 2012 1:16:45 AM

alright cool :D  did you have to buy it agaim?
m
l
August 17, 2012 11:07:34 AM

PanicMaster85 said:
alright cool :D  did you have to buy it agaim?

No ... I literally downloaded the wintoflash software ... stuck my win7 install cd in my winxp pc ... plugged in the usb ... started wintoflash and indicated which drive the cd and usb were and walked away. When I came back I pulled off the usb and used it to load my new win7 pc.

Installing win7 from a usb to a ssd is pretty fast, compared to the old way!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 17, 2012 9:52:09 PM

yeah nice~ ;D
m
l
!