Windows 7 or Vista on new build

goony20

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
With windows 7 being released next year, should I just download the beta for a build in august/sept. or go with vista? I've read some stuff on windows 7 RC through the forums and mags like maximum pc and it sounds like the beta is fairly impressive. Not sure about compatibility issues and drivers, but I'm on the fence whether I should sink the extra 100$ for an os in to a better gpu or possibly dual montiors? I've looked for a similar thread elsewhere with no luck, so sorry if I'm beating a dead horse.

Solution
If you have a big enough HD, you could do what I did and partition it in half and install both OS's. Setup both sides with the same software and drivers. That way you can always fall back on Vista if certain apps run poorly in 7. So far the only one I've come across where I've had to restart and boot Vista is Roxio 2009. Another advantage of doing this is the opportunity to compare the performance between the two.

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
Well there are a couple of issues with the Win7 RC but for the most part I like it better than vista. I am running the Win7 RC as the main OS on my laptop and I just built a computer with a P45, Q8400, GTS 250, and 4GB of DDR2 800 and Win7 Runs great on it. If you can deal with the issues that may or may not surface, then skipping Vista is the way to go.

goony20

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
my tech level is above average but not quite high, will I encounter any foreseeable problems I won't be able to handle. I've built 1 system int he past 5 years but I'm open to research.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
If you have a big enough HD, you could do what I did and partition it in half and install both OS's. Setup both sides with the same software and drivers. That way you can always fall back on Vista if certain apps run poorly in 7. So far the only one I've come across where I've had to restart and boot Vista is Roxio 2009. Another advantage of doing this is the opportunity to compare the performance between the two.

Solution