Sign in with
Your question

Follow your heart or Software Engineer?

Tags:
Last response: in Work & Education
July 7, 2011 3:21:47 AM

Hello Everyone!

I would like to know your opinions regarding a good career. I am currently doing software engineering, and while I enjoy the engineering aspect of it (computers, hard ware..installing RAM..etc) I cringe with the word ''programming''. We did Java and I barely understood any of it! The whole concept is really hard to grasp for me and I think I can't imagine myself doing as a job for almost the entire duration of my career.

The degree I really enjoy is Media Design. I love editing/making things. I am also planning to get a minor in film.

These two things are tearing me apart right now. Software Engineering is a nightmare (AND BORING!) for me, but it has VERY high pay and in demand! Media Design, is an ''Artsy'' degree and Art..is..not really in demand, and if you get a job, it may not be very in demand.

Media Design is 3 years, Software Engineering is 4 years...

I would like to ask some advice on which path I should take.

ps- I will post this too on the applications/programming forum so I can get as much insight as possible!

Thanks in advance! :) 
July 7, 2011 1:01:18 PM

You don't need to feel down as there are various fields that you can opt for in software engineering.The best thing is software quality assurance which has nothing to do with programming in it.You can also go towards networking as it is the most important field IN these days.
Other than this everything depends on your interest.Mine was towards writing articles and i enjoy doing it.What are your interests?
July 9, 2011 7:21:52 PM

Writer10 said:
You don't need to feel down as there are various fields that you can opt for in software engineering.The best thing is software quality assurance which has nothing to do with programming in it.You can also go towards networking as it is the most important field IN these days.
Other than this everything depends on your interest.Mine was towards writing articles and i enjoy doing it.What are your interests?

Yeah. That's true. But I meant all the engineering courses here have programming! It seems that I just have to deal with it right? Do you do programming? Just wondering
Related resources
July 13, 2011 10:42:34 AM

I don't think every engineering subject has programming in it. I don't do programming but i also have a degree in computer engineering but there were different courses in each semester and some of them were not even programming based. I was interested in networking and software quality assurance because they didn't have programming in them (as my programming sucks!)
So what really are your interests?

July 13, 2011 11:37:15 AM

Hi there,

I'm an electronics engineering graduate working in the avionics industry so have done OK after getting my degree.

My time at uni. sucked, I really struggled with it and knew that the course was more "academic" than "preparing for work". In the end I stuck it out, making the most of summer breaks to get experience in industry.

In the end you have to separate whether it's the course material you don't like or the kind of things you'll be doing afterwards. I found the maths side particularly taxing, but in the end I know more than enough to get me through a day job without any problems.

Ultimately, thing a wee bit longer term and do what will make you the happiest.

Good luck!
July 13, 2011 11:37:26 AM

Writer10 said:
I don't think every engineering subject has programming in it. I don't do programming but i also have a degree in computer engineering but there were different courses in each semester and some of them were not even programming based. I was interested in networking and software quality assurance because they didn't have programming in them (as my programming sucks!)
So what really are your interests?

Im more of a ''techy'' guy, i like technology and computers but not really programming. I also love art and design but i used my common sense. Who would wanna take JUST art as a college degree in this global economic crisis. SURE i do love it, but i dont think artists earn much lol.

So, I decided to drop my computer engineering and just do Business Information Systems/Management. Its IT and Business so its still good. Plus the pay is good bro. :D 
July 15, 2011 11:39:24 AM

Ahan that's great! So you are planning on doing MBA at the end to top it off??
It good that you decided before making your life miserable by attending the computer engineering courses.I agree the pay is good too and lot of chances for the future.
Maybe i could get information on technology from you in future!! :D 

July 16, 2011 2:08:47 AM

Writer10 said:
Ahan that's great! So you are planning on doing MBA at the end to top it off??
It good that you decided before making your life miserable by attending the computer engineering courses.I agree the pay is good too and lot of chances for the future.
Maybe i could get information on technology from you in future!! :D 

Thanks! yeah, its a business course/IT/Tech. Sure man, ill be glad to help you someday! :D 
Do you know anyone who has a similar job as mine??
July 16, 2011 5:48:09 AM

If you go with your dream, you will attain what you want and be happy with less money/stability. If you go for the degree and tough it all out for engineering, it might be more rewarding after the fact that you toughed it out and made it work to get where you wanted financially. they both have their pluses and minuses, but you are the only one that can sort out which one is worth it to you .
!