Swithces on a business network

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.networking.routers (More info?)

I hope someone can provide some direction for me in my attempt to upgrade
our network. I work in a retail environment with 3 POS computers and 8
other computers throughout the store. We are using 10base2 coax cabling,
but we need higher bandwidth so I am changing to 100baseTX with CAT5e. It
is quite difficult to run individual cables from each station to 1 switch in
the back room (the layout of the store mostly). So I was wondering if it is
possible to run the 3 POS into 1 switch and run a 100 ft. CAT5e cable from
there to the 8 port switch in the back. All the other computers are in the
back room and I will use another smaller switch to connect 3 computers in
the office to the same 8 port switch. Will all the computers and POS still
be able to access each other in a peer-to-peer network with so many
switches? I cannot seem to find anything about this and about the allowable
distances between switches. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much
Dave

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.networking.routers (More info?)

Yes, you can do what you describe.

Only limit is from node to node is 100 meters on cat5. Run cable from switch
to switch.

One thing to remember though is that you want to have as few possible points
of failure in a network, in other words, get the job done with the least
amount of nodes :)