Low FPS Sapphire Toxic HD5850

Apr 28, 2012
Hello everybody,
I've been having the following problem. For the past few months, I've been getting around 30-50 FPS in CS:S, CoD 4 and all 3D games unlike before when I used to get about 200 in CS:S and 120 in CoD4. Here are my specs which I think are pretty good...
GPU: Sapphire Toxic Radeon HD5850 1GB
CPU: Intel core i7 930 @ 2.80GHz never overclocked
RAM: 11GB Kingston Hyper X
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D
HDD: WD 500GB and a second Seagate 1TB
PSU: Corsair 750W
Everything used to work fine before, I have NO idea how that happened and what could have caused it. Here's what I've tried to fix it:
- Set the graphics to the lowest possible
- Remove the Seagate HDD cause I thought it's faulthy, but it wasn't the disk's fault
- The PC was clean already
- Start Windows (7 Ultimate) with basic services only
- Update my drivers to version 12.3 (catalyst control center) , uninstall and reinstall them
None of these helped. I didn't bother reinstalling any of the games, since It's not a particualar game's fault.
I am counting on your assistance, thank you.

firedice

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Your card might be the problem. Is it still on warranty? I'd try to put it in another PC and if it gives the same results, would declare it broken ...

What's the temps on the card while gaming? I would imagine if it's overheating, which would make sense because the last couple months it's been much hotter, it might throttle itself and slow it's clock speed.

If it's overheating, turn up the fan speed in Catlyst Control Center.

it can possible heat, but the only reason why im not saying so is because the toxic edition of cards dissapates heat more readily than other cards of its class. its one of sapphire's special versions along with Vapor-X and ultimate versions of some cards.

Apr 28, 2012

The card's temps are 41 C when idle. and 71 C while gaming. The loaded temp was about 59-60 C while gaming in winter, and it was the same story.

Apr 28, 2012

I haven't changed resolutions at all, i'm keeping it at the native 1920x1080 for the monitor, 120 Hertz refresh rate, Vsync off.