New build, looking for feedback before ordering

Romgar

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Hey everybody :hello: !

After a couple months of research (and waiting), I've come to a build that I think to be rather solid; I'll be ordering everything sometime this week but I'd just like a final input on it, see if there's anything I should change up (I've set it up in preparation of going SLI in the future):

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB [Low Profile]
HDD: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black
SSD: Crucial M4 128GB
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 670
PSU: Corsair TX750

Any thoughts/opinions/suggestions welcome, and thank you in advance!
-Romgar

EDIT: *Slams head into desk,* I suppose my intentions of what I'd like to do on it would be worth mentioning, my apologies:

Gaming for the most part (GW2, BF3, D3, etc. - max settings), usual web browsing (YouTube, Facebook, forums, etc.), and perhaps a bit of video recording, just for my friends and I; so no editing at all really.

Solution
What is likely to happen if you spend more now to "prepare for sli"?
In two years, the GTX670, a fine card for today, will be near obsolete. The next generation of card will have launched, and the specs for the follow on will be known. You will not be happy having to pay retail price for a second new GTX670 at that time. History shows that obsolete graphics cards still sell at high prices because the sli upgrader has nowhere to go.
An option will be the used market which will have prices more in line with current performance.

Your build is fine, you need not change a thing.

I have no problem with overprovisioning the psu with 750w vs 550. the extra cost is not large. It will only draw the wattage it needs and will run quieter...
A very good selection of parts.

But, here is my canned rant on sli:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dual graphics cards vs. a good single card.

a) How good do you really need to be?
A single GTX560 or 6870 can give you great performance at 1920 x 1200 in most games.

A single GTX560ti or 6950 will give you excellent performance at 1920 x 1200 in most games.
Even 2560 x 1600 will be good with lowered detail.
A single 7970 or GTX680 is about as good as it gets.

Only if you are looking at triple monitor gaming, then sli/cf will be needed.
Even that is now changing with triple monitor support on top end cards.

b) The costs for a single card are lower.
You require a less expensive motherboard; no need for sli/cf or multiple pci-e slots.
Even a ITX motherboard will do.

Your psu costs are less.
A GTX560ti needs a 450w psu, even a GTX580 only needs a 600w psu.
When you add another card to the mix, plan on adding 150-200w to your psu requirements.
A single more modern 28nm card like a 7970 or GTX680 needs only 550W.
Even the strongest GTX690 only needs 650w.

Case cooling becomes more of an issue with dual cards.
That means a more expensive case with more and stronger fans.
You will also look at more noise.

c) Dual cards do not always render their half of the display in sync, causing microstuttering. It is an annoying effect.
The benefit of higher benchmark fps can be offset, particularly with lower tier cards.
Read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html

d) dual card support is dependent on the driver. Not all games can benefit from dual cards.

e) cf/sli up front reduces your option to get another card for an upgrade. Not that I suggest you plan for that.
It will often be the case that replacing your current card with a newer gen card will offer a better upgrade path.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lt_dan_zsu

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Your PC looks good to go. While the other guy is right. I like your idea but you could probably keep that 670 for at least a few years before you would even need to consider getting a new 670. I think your PC will last a pretty long time though

Romgar

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

Good points, sir. Exceptionally good points... Hmm.

My apologies for taking so long to reply, just been thinking it over: My initial plan was just to have it prepared if I ever needed to SLI (an example would be two years down the line, should I need the extra performance) - I've no intention of running more than one monitor. But I suppose that far down the line, money wouldn't be much of a problem with getting a new(er) card, and the money I spend now wouldn't make much of a difference then either I suppose. *Strokes chin*, I'll have to put more thought into this now, I do have a couple more days. Thank you for your input, sir ^.^

What is likely to happen if you spend more now to "prepare for sli"?
In two years, the GTX670, a fine card for today, will be near obsolete. The next generation of card will have launched, and the specs for the follow on will be known. You will not be happy having to pay retail price for a second new GTX670 at that time. History shows that obsolete graphics cards still sell at high prices because the sli upgrader has nowhere to go.
An option will be the used market which will have prices more in line with current performance.

Your build is fine, you need not change a thing.

I have no problem with overprovisioning the psu with 750w vs 550. the extra cost is not large. It will only draw the wattage it needs and will run quieter since it will not be pushed hard.

Solution

Romgar

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

You've thoroughly convinced me to just stay away from SLI! Very informative and helpful posts - thank you, sir.

Hmm.. as you said, I suppose either way there isn't much to change in the build, maybe just drop down to a 650w PSU.

I thank you again for the information, sir - have a good day/night :)

DeusAres

Distinguished
Everything looks good to me.

No need for SLI when you can just sell your gtx 670, make up the difference in price, and get a single next gen card solution. Saves money, time and headaches. +1 geofelt's idea on SLI.