Sign in with
Your question

Trying to get dual monitors setup.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 25, 2012 10:35:54 PM

I have 2 Asus VH232H and I want to connect one through HDMI on motherboard and one through HDMI on the gfx card but it is not working.

More about : dual monitors setup

a c 103 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 25, 2012 10:43:46 PM

that wont work you can only hook it up the graphics card if you have a dedicated card in the system....what video card do you have?
m
l
Related resources
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 26, 2012 12:26:01 AM

You cannot use the motherboard HDMI while the GPU HDMI is being used. Usually, when there is a dedicated GPU in the computer, the system usually shuts off the integrated GPU on the motherboard. You are either going to have to use DVI, which is the same just without sound, or just get an adapter.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 26, 2012 12:46:23 AM

Deemo13 said:
You cannot use the motherboard HDMI while the GPU HDMI is being used. Usually, when there is a dedicated GPU in the computer, the system usually shuts off the integrated GPU on the motherboard. You are either going to have to use DVI, which is the same just without sound, or just get an adapter.

That first sentence is incorrect. All you have to do to use the onboard graphics at the same time as the discrete graphics card is enable it in the BIOS. The method for enabling dual graphics varies depending on the manufacturerer and model of the motherboard. However, your next statement is correct. The motherboard generally disables the integrated graphics system when a discrete graphics card is installed.

The simplest solution to the OP's problem would be to get a HDMI to DVI adapter or cable. Here are a couple of examples:
HDMI to DVI cable http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
HDMI to DVI adapter http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You could also just use the DVI output from the video card and the DVI input to the display by using a standard DVI-D cable.

m
l
June 26, 2012 1:06:47 AM

I will try thie BIOS thing. Any negative side effects? If I game and use the other screen i will only use it to play music or to chat with someone or something like that so I don't think it will cause much issues.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 26, 2012 1:25:45 AM

There are several negative side effects to using the integrated graphics for dual monitors.

First, the computer may try to assign the integrated graphics as the primary display. You should be able to fix that in the in the control panel by selecting the Discrete graphics as the the primary display.

You could also have some problems in games if they try to use the integrated graphics as the primary display. Again control panel should be able to redesignate the discrete graphics as the primary display but I can't guarantee that all games will see it that way.

Also, you will have the minor headache of having to keep up with two sets of display drivers, one for the integrated graphics and one for the discrete greatly increasing the chances of having driver conflicts.

I would suggest that you go ahead and get a DVI-D cable and just run both displays off of the discrete graphics. It will simplify your configuration a great deal.

BTW, do you intend to use the speakers built into your monitor for your computer sound or do you have a separate sound system? If you want to use the monitor speakers you will need to configure your sound to output on the correct HDMI output - meaning the discrete HDMI Audio.
m
l
a c 194 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 26, 2012 1:25:52 AM

Why are you trying to do this the hard way? Just connect both of them to the GPU you will have it set up and working fine in 5 minutes. The GPU has the ability to support 2 monitors so why mess around with trying to get the motherboard to support one and the GPU to support the other? Get a DVI cable to connect the second one to the GPU, DVI and HDMI carry exactly the same video signal so there is no difference in quality.
m
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 26, 2012 2:47:31 AM

JKatwyopc said:
That first sentence is incorrect. All you have to do to use the onboard graphics at the same time as the discrete graphics card is enable it in the BIOS. The method for enabling dual graphics varies depending on the manufacturerer and model of the motherboard. However, your next statement is correct. The motherboard generally disables the integrated graphics system when a discrete graphics card is installed.

The simplest solution to the OP's problem would be to get a HDMI to DVI adapter or cable. Here are a couple of examples:
HDMI to DVI cable http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
HDMI to DVI adapter http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You could also just use the DVI output from the video card and the DVI input to the display by using a standard DVI-D cable.

Thanks for the pointer! Didn't actually know that. We're all still learning here lol. It would be easier to have both of the displays on the card, less problematic.
m
l
June 27, 2012 10:12:08 PM

Is there any way to get DVI to input audio or am I going to have to get a mini HDMI cord or some osrt of DVI to HDMI cord. Will the DVI to HDMI work?
m
l
June 28, 2012 6:03:29 AM

So I put the audio dongle that came with my computer screen since it has speakers and now my audio only comes from screen 2. Before it would come through screen 1 but not it just goes to screen 2. Would getting a mini HDMI cord for screen 2 give me audio from both computers.

Sometimes I play a game and like having some music in the BG.
m
l
!