I think my sound card is broken

TechnoGuy4122

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
For the past couple of weeks, I have been getting a crackling, static noise coming from my pc speakers. I have researched many of the possible reasons (Grounding, Defect speakers, Cable, Interference and Sound Card. I have proven that it can't be the speakers, cable, or interference as I did a few tests. My feeling is that the sound card has recently broken because if I re-insert the cable the static is not there until there is no sound for about 10 minutes. Then if you play something the crackling comes back.

As I may possibly be adding RAM to my PC soon I would like to verify that it is the sound card and not anything else so I can easily add it at the same time.

Note: The static noise only happens if sound is playing

Solution
That is what I thought you ment! A sound chip is integrated. Just disable the onboard sound and purchase a discrete sound card. ASUS Xonar sound cards work really well with windows 7, not a fan of Creative anymore, just pick one out that will fit your budget and will install in one of your PCI slot farthest from your PCIe slot.

TechnoGuy4122

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
All I currently know is that is is a VIA High Definition Audio Card and that it looks to be inegrated into my motherboard which I also don't know anything about. Do you know any software that could help look for those specs.

TechnoGuy4122

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
Update: It is integrated into my motherboard and my motherboard is an Asus M4A78LT-M LE. Also the model of the integrated sound card is possibly a VIA VT1708S. This is according to a driver for the motherboard from softpedia so i'm not sure if this is correct.

knightdog56

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
That is what I thought you ment! A sound chip is integrated. Just disable the onboard sound and purchase a discrete sound card. ASUS Xonar sound cards work really well with windows 7, not a fan of Creative anymore, just pick one out that will fit your budget and will install in one of your PCI slot farthest from your PCIe slot.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS