Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Would this graphics card work with my current PC?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 25, 2012 11:24:42 PM

I don't know too much about computers and I didn't want to do anything stupid before I did some research so hopefully you guys can help me with this.

The graphics card I wanted to buy was the Radeon HD 6870
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Here is all the information about the system I have..
http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport...

I'm aware that i'll need to buy new power supply but is this card compatible with the current PC I have?

Also if it is, can you recommend a good power supply to buy to go along with it?

I've done a lot of research over the days and I still couldn't find much info on this computer stuff so again, please help.

Thanks in advance

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
a c 291 U Graphics card
June 25, 2012 11:26:42 PM

Yes it will work as long as you buy a new power supply. I'd personally recommend this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
June 25, 2012 11:31:41 PM

Wow, really fast response, thanks. Thanks for the recommendation as well. Are you sure the card will fit in the tower though? I havent cracked open the tower yet to see how much space there is yet and the graphic card seems a bit big.

Sorry for asking so many questions that might be obvious, completely new at this :( 
Sick of the integrated graphics
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a c 191 U Graphics card
June 25, 2012 11:33:04 PM

Yes, it would work fine, as long as you upgrade the power supply. The one listed by Sunius is a very highly recommended power supply, and will power the 6870 no problem.
m
l
June 25, 2012 11:37:07 PM

Thank you both, I'm really excited to order the products now. I'll check for a guide on how to install it on youtube somewhere. My friend says it's a breeze though.

Again, thank you both! really appreciate it
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a c 191 U Graphics card
June 25, 2012 11:51:08 PM

Its easier than most people think.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a c 291 U Graphics card
June 26, 2012 1:57:35 PM

Yes, it is a breeze, your friend is right. That power supply is standard size, you should have no problems fitting it in.
m
l
June 26, 2012 7:57:27 PM

What do you guys think about the graphics card? Think thers any better for under 200 dollars?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a c 191 U Graphics card
June 28, 2012 12:23:17 AM

I would definitely recommend the 480 on almost any other occasion EXCEPT for this one. Yea its a good card, and it is a pretty high performer, but unless you get a new case, the 480 is going to heat up your whole computer since there is not much ventilation in the case.

And dang, that 480 just keeps going down and down in price!
m
l
June 28, 2012 4:01:07 AM

Ahh now I don't know whether or not to just start from scratch and build a new cpu.. It would cost me too much to get a new one though so I think I'll just stick to the 6870 fow now until I have more money to spend
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a c 191 U Graphics card
June 28, 2012 5:03:57 AM

My cousin used to have a Pavilion similar to yours, and he just mounted it into a much nicer case, upgraded the PSU, and got a nice graphics card, and now he has a gaming computer. Its a good way to go on a budget while still getting an awesome computer. Its not a bad idea, because the CPU is still pretty viable in that HP.
m
l
June 28, 2012 7:37:17 AM

I might consider buying a new case then. It should be around 40-100 bucks I'm guessing? I've never built a cpu so I wouldn't know how to take everything apart and mount it onto a new case. I wonder if I'll screw it up
m
l
June 28, 2012 6:06:07 PM

That was an extremely informational and detailed video, Sunius, Thank you so much. I've been browsing around youtube and only found 5 minute videos where they just rushed through it :( . You also said I'd need a more powerful power supply for the GTX 480, any recommendations?
m
l
June 28, 2012 6:28:22 PM

Oh did you? I guess I was distracted by the big chart. Thanks again, appreciate all the help!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a c 291 U Graphics card
June 28, 2012 6:31:39 PM

No problem, glad to help :) .
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a c 191 U Graphics card
June 28, 2012 7:30:30 PM

Yea its mainly just an expensive lego set more than anything. Easier than most people think it is, and there are some cheap cases out there that ventilate well also.

Good luck!
m
l
July 5, 2012 1:26:36 AM

Best answer selected by zComputerNoob.
m
l
!