GTX 670 HELP PLEASE

TomTreanor

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Hello, I have recently got my first decent build which I use for gaming etc. with the build I bought a GTX 670 oc edition from Kfa2 (galaxy) when I play games I appear to get a shimmering effect on all the textures at a distance..
It is really bugging me and I want to know whether I should rma it or if its a software problem.. please help.

maxh22

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012

maybe your cpu is too weak, what cpu do you have?

Or your PSU isn't supplying enough power to your gtx 670.

TomTreanor

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
I have an I5 3570k Oc'd at 4.6ghz and I heard that the Psu might be the problem but I tried taking the Pci power out and put it back in and no diffrence..
The GPU runs all games ok its just the shimmering effect dosnt seem normal.

maxh22

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012

Your cpu is definitely not the issue than, I would have to say your PSU isn't giving it enough power, or your PCIE slot may be defective.

Try putting in another PSU and see if the problem resolves.

BTW how many watts is your PSU and whats it's name?

TomTreanor

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
My psu is a corsair 1050w 80 plus silver so that cant be the problem surley ..
Overclockers have told me to RMA it but I don't want to incase that its somthing else..

maxh22

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012

Try putting your graphics card into another PCIE Slot

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
there can be problems if you plug it to a pci lane 1.0 or too slow like x1... but i would like to see some screenshots of the problem, glyphs on the screen, can be a gpu problem/psu problem or even a motherboard problem (on the pci lane)

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
an example, the only game that shimmering is normal is Risen 2, that game distance shadows were totally bugged, but a patch fixed the issue, now it is not noticeable.

If you havent already, try the latest BETA driver GeForce 304.48 Driver that driver added a lot of performance for 600 series and fixed some bugs.

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Okay first off:

How strong/weak your CPU is absolutely NOTHING to do with artifacts such as shimmering appearing in a game, how slow or fast your CPU is running will only determine how fast your game runs. Same goes for the PSU; The problems associated with the PSU are usually game crashes/system shut-downs. And how fast your PCI-E slot is running only determines how fast your card will run as well.

With artifacts that aren't part of the game such as shimmering, you can narrow it down to two culprits; Hardware and/or software

Artifacts in games can be caused by overclocking, so try running your card on vanilla (stock settings) settings and see how it goes

Also, go to Nvidia Control Panel and set "Texture filtering - Negative LOD Bias" to "Clamp"

But if shimmering is still apparent after all that, it's mostly likely your hardware and you'll have to RMA it in.

Hope this helps with your problems :)

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
does this happens in any game? or just minecraft?

that is really very strange lol, looking for the picture looks like a giant wall of Glass (minecraft Glass).

it could be a mod problem if it happens only on minecraft.

TomTreanor

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Nah it simmilar effects happen on all other games, and it is a big wall of glass but the effect yo see on it shimmers in game D: