My recently built computer does not boot up at all

saintedflip

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Here are my specs and parts:

GIGABYTE GA-Z77-DS3H Intel 7 Series Motherboard - ATX, Socket H2 (LGA1155), Intel Z77 Express, 1600MHz DDR3, SATA III (6Gb/s), RAID, 7.1-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, PCIe 3.0, CrossFireX Ready

Intel Core i7-3770K BX80667i73770K Processor - Quad Core, 8MB L3 Cache, 3.50GHz (3.90GHz Max Turbo), Socket H2 (LGA1155), 77W, Fan, Unlocked, Retail

Lite-On IHAS124-04 Internal DVD Writer - DVD+R 24X, DVD-R 24X, DVD+RW 8X, DVD-RW 6X, DVD+R DL 8X, SATA (OEM)

Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B Desktop Memory Kit - 8GB (2x 4GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, 9-9-9-24 CAS Latency, Intel XMP Ready, Unbuffered

Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB Serial ATA Hard Drive - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

MSI Radeon HD 7770 R7770-PMD1GD5 Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0(x16), 1x Dual-link DVI-I, 1x DisplayPort, 1x HDMI, DirectX 11, MSI Afterburner

Thermaltake VN770M1W2N Overseer RX-I Full Tower Computer Case - ATX, 700W PSU, Full Tower, 3 x 5.25" Bays, 5 x 3.5" Bays, 8 x Expansion Slots, 2 x USB 3.0, 2x Blue LED Fans, Black

Okay so after building it and putting all the parts together I would just turn the PSU power switch on, the LED fans on the case would start spinning and the stock cpu fan will somewhat spin and then everything just dies out. Pressing the power-on button on the case wouldn't do anything. The only response I'd receive from the computer is the small window of what seems like the computer working.

My question is what piece of hardware is not working properly and that I should get replaced/fixed? I have tried a different PSU and that hasn't changed anything. I have tried with the minimal amount of hardware needed to boot up.

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
OK first off so there is absolutely no beeps... do all the fans start to spin(psu,gpu,cpu,case) make sure that the mobo is connected to the case(so the power button on this type of thing it is different on every mobo check the manual for which plugs)

connectedzm9.jpg

also make sure that the back of the psu is on(if you have this option

64-power-suppy-diagnostic.jpg

also check all your connections, hope this helped! :D

daship

Distinguished
4 pin or 8 pin for the cpu, got over looked im guessing as this is a classic symptom of it.

Also if you assembled a PC b4 the ram goes in different in this board.

Instead of the usual 1 2 3 4 ram slots with 1 being closest to the cpu, this board is 4 3 2 1 your ram should be in slots 1 and 3 so from the cpu to the right, first slot empty, 2nd slot ram, third empty, 4th ram.

I just built a PC with the same motherboard last night.

saintedflip

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
The fans do spin for a couple seconds but that is not when I press the power switch on the case, it happens when I turn the power switch on the PSU. I don't know if that is normal but it seems rather strange to me.

I have also made sure that I have connected all of the connectors correctly but the only response I receive from the computer is the fans and their LEDs will turn on briefly as I flick the PSU switch on (keep in mind this happens only when i flick the PSU switch on, not the power button on the case).

In regards to my mobo being shorted from the case, that could possibly be it. My case came with stand offs pre-installed so I didn't bother messing around with that. I noticed when i placed the mobo inside, there was one hole in the mobo that did not have a standoff under it but I thought nothing of it since I had every other hole on a stand off and screwed in. This hole with no stand off is located on the middle of the far right side of the mobo.

Moamer93

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
If thats the case check and see if you need to put a stand off there :p i remember the same situation happened to me, ended up taking out the mobo and running it on a grounded surface and it booted with no problems

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
yeah the fans starting when there is power to the psu is not normal(at all) what it could be other than what moamoer93 said is that it could be either a faulty connection from the case to the mobo or the mobo could be having issues.