Question regarding AMD cpus

timil

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
I've been hearing that amd's new bulldozer and piledriver cpu's aren't actually real quad/hex/octo core cpu's and infact are dual/triple/quad core cpu's with 2 "modules" (or something along the lines of that) can someone tell me if this is true? I mean would they operate like a real quad core or what?

ColoredWater

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
They "modules" are basically combined cores. AMD is going to realease a new version called "Steamroller" but has been delayed to 2014. It may be best to go with a Intel CPU if you have the money although if your willing to wait until 2014 get a AMD FX CPU. I don't recommend any older AMD CPU now due to that they are becoming harder to find and just aren't worth buying. If you install the Bulldozer CPU patch found here (make sure you have SP1 found here) and do a tiny bit of overclocking and you should be good :).

A BD "module":

bulldozer-module-diagram-img1.jpg

AMD's roadmap which is not correct right not because they moved "Steamroller" to 2014 and "Excavator" moved to 2015 (ingore the opteron logo, this is for all AMD CPU's):
AMD_ArchiRoadmap.jpg

If you want more info why don't you contact AMD's support directly?
tech.support@amd.com

It has nothing to do with hyperthreading.

A module has some of the same physical resources as two full-fledged cores normally would have, but some of the resources are shared between the two cores. So a module is something of a core and a half.

Hyperthreading is simply letting each actual core switch between two threads when it runs out of cache data (so it doesn't have to sit idle waiting for data from memory or storage).