Which monitor I should get for console gaming

ThunderstruK

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Okay, so I was thinking about getting a new monitor Console gaming, and the occasional bit of PC gaming, now, I'm not a pro or anything but with new games like Halo 4 and CoD: Black Ops 2, I would really like to get into the competitive seen, so I'm trying to get the best equipment to help me do this. I've been looking at the Dell UltraSharp U3011 and the Dell UltraSharp U2711, so I thought I'd do a little research before rushing into this purchase, especially considering the price of these monitors so I started around on the internet and asking a couple of pro gamers what they think the best kind of monitor for gaming is, and they seem to think gaming on a smaller screen like a 22inch is pretty much the way to go, and when I ask them why they say because of the response time. Now, I'm not very tech savvy when it comes to stuff like this, and tbh I don't really have a clue what I'm talking about for the most part lol. But Personally, I think that I would need a larger screen, my eye sight isn't the best and even if I'm extremely close to the monitor, I can still have trouble seeing some things.

My buddy has also told me that I would have to have a pretty good GPU if I bought one of the two monitor's that I mentioned above, so it makes me think if it would run smoothly on a console or not. I would really appreciate your guys view on this and what you think about the response time, is it just gamers nick picking on little things, similar to how they seem to prefare a wired mouse compared to a wireless mouse because of the DPI? Or is this actually something I should take into account. I also realise that these monitor are extremely expensive but price isn't really an obstacle at the moment so feel free to recommend other Monitor's that you see fit. :)

Cheers.

fantastik250

Distinguished
You'd need a monitor that has a response rate of less than 2ms, especially for first person shooters. It helps you see better when moving, no ghosting or blurring effects. You can find a decent of amount of monitors that has that specification. Also, wired is always preferable than wireless because of the direct connection to the computer with no chance for lag time. As far as graphics card you can easily choose any mid-range or high-end graphics card.

ThunderstruK

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Thanks for the reply man. I checked what the response time on the U2711 is and it's 6-Milliseconds, but I looked at a comparison review and the guy said it was 15 milliseconds, the only Monitor with a response time with 2 ms or less is the BenQ XL2420T and it's a 120hz monitor, now, even though I don't know much about monitor technology I realise that you can't get over 60 fps so the fact that the refresh rate is 120 is sort of pointless for console gaming, but I would still be using it for pc gaming every now again. But I have another question for anybody who knows, can I run a 60hz monitor and a 120hz monitor that is linked to one pc?

Cheers.