Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Would like some feedback on a 4.5k gaming rig.

Last response: in Systems
August 15, 2012 8:38:44 AM

Hello all and welcome to my first post,

I'd like to subdivide this post in 3 subjects.
1) Current build (so it will be rather obvious why I'd like to assemble a new rig).
2) The global information from the template from the sticky *How to Ask for New Build or Upgrade Advice*.
3) Envisioned build (including the motivation why I'm choosing the components I chose so far).

In the end I would like to receive constructive criticism on my choices and what probably would be better/alternative choices.

Current build:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6700 @ 2.66GHz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

Motherboard: ASUS P5N-T Deluxe

GFX card: NVIDIA EVGA GeForce 8600 GT
Once had this in 2x SLI until 1 card broke down. It served me decently nevertheless.

HD: Hitachi GST Deskstar 5K3000 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
...and some other insignificant smaller ones.

Memory: 4x 1Gb of I don't remember what it was. Probably Kingston or something at 800Mhz.

PSU: Corsair TX750M
Bought it several months ago when my old PSU died and I thought it would be a decent upgrade for my new rig.

Monitor: Samsung 226BW
It served me well for a long time but now it flickers for 5 minutes every time I turn it on causing deaths among the epileptic society running it at 1680x1050. Also have an ancient LG running at 1280x1024.

Case: The brand is Anitec (nono... not misspelled) but besides that I can't find the existence of it anymore anywhere on the web. Silver and blue leds with poor air circulation.

Mouse: Razer Deathadder
Served me well indeed but the coating is half gone by now.

Mouse2: Razer Naga
An older version than that but you get the idea. In my humble opinion a great mouse for MMO's. I was only a tad disappointed when the 'page forward button' broke on me after merely 8 months of usage.

Keyboard: Razer Tarantula
One huge dust magnet and in the end I rarely used the additional R buttons nor the docks which could be put on the keyboard (light/webcam).

Headset: Logitech Digital Precision PC Gaming Headset
Highly uncomfortable and quickly hung them around my neck just for using the mic.

Sound: Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speaker System
Had this baby for quite some time and still madly in love with her.

As most of you will quickly notice this is a 5 year old build which went for a whopping $2000 at that time but is clearly outdated. It still runs games at low/medium settings but Skyrim is off limits since it stutters even at low settings. You might wonder why I haven't upgraded my rig any time sooner and the answer is simple: money had to flow in different directions. Now though I have the funds to obtain myself a new rig.

When do I want to buy: Probably within 2 months. I've already ordered a few components which I was sure of in the first place or which were just great deals at the time I bought them.

Budget range: About 4500$CAD

System usage: Heavy gaming, live streaming games, watching movies, listening to audio, surfing the web, light photoshopping/video-editing (more intense by the gf though).

Preferred websites for parts: Newegg.ca Canadacomputers.com
Had good experiences with both of them. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Parts preferences: Corsair, EVGA

Overclocking: Yes. I've never done it before but momentarily I have been reading about it for quite some time.

SLI:: Yes. Not now but probably in a year as an upgrade to my build. I'd like to go for 2xSLI then.

Monitor Resolution:: 5760x1080

Envisioned build:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73930K
I have given this quite some thought about this and I have 3 reasons why this would be a good chip:
  • I know that mainly for gaming an i5 2550k would perfectly do the job and that the gains (if there are any) for gaming are nihil since most games do not use hyper-threading nor do most games support the use of a hexacore yet it is likely that future games will make use of this feature. (no actual source to back this up more of a logical deduction.)
  • For overclocking purposes the current Ivy Bridges dissipate more heat than the Sandy Bridge-E so it would be easier to cool this chip.
  • Likely, Intel will come with the Haswell chipset in 2013 for the lower end and mid-range chips trying to replace the current 3rd generation i7s IBE's. The Haswell chipset is supposed to be a 1150 socket and if I want to upgrade to that I would require a new mobo at the same time. At the same time it seems to be in Intel's planning though to develop an IBE for the 2011 socket so an upgrade to that would be easier (no need to replace my mobo). (Intel's planning)

Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6/GB LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Looks like a solid board. The ASrock Game Blaster Audio looks nice in theory for fps's. 3 PCIE 3.0 which run at x16, x16, x8 would be good for 2xSLI. Decent amount of USB3.0 ports. Supports 8x DDR3 DIMMS up to 2400Mhz (OC) up to 64Gb (I won't use it all but it leaves room for upgrading). Higher numbers in the ASRock Extreme series seem a bit excessive to me. I think I won't be needing more PCI slots than the 6 slots it has.

GFX card: EVGA 04G-P4-3687-KR GeForce GTX 680 FTW+ w/Backplate 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
    Nice card and some games are already getting the tendency to use more than 2GB of VRAM. After a year I can put this baby in 2xSLI and I'll still be rocking games.

HD: Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F240GBGT-BK 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    Have picked this up for 200$ some weeks ago. Looked like a good deal and Corsair has a decent reputation. So far I haven't had any bad experiences with them.

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH
    I would have liked to get some Corsair memory but they weren't in the supported memory list at 2133Mhz for the ASRock mobo. If anybody knows from experience if Corsair Dominator GT 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 Desktop Memory Model CMT16GX3M4X2133C9 would work with it I would prefer to go for those.

PSU: Corsair TX750M
    Just bought it and for a single GTX 680 it should do the trick. Probably I'll need to upgrade this one too when I'll consider buying a 2nd GTX 680.

Monitor: 3xBenQ XL2420T Black / Red 24" 5ms / 2ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Monitor 350 cd/m2 Typical: 1000:1 DCR: 12M:1
    These babies are already ordered and well at 350$/each. Loved the specs. Wanted them. These will look amazing and I can even pop my old LG on top of it as a browsing /music player screen. (Cheer at the 680 which can support up to 4 monitors.)

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 550D Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    From experience I've learned that I want a quiet and closed computer. No need for blue leds (like I have now) and I would like my PC to be more silent than the thing I have now. This case seems to be combining both what I want. I'm only unsure about the cooling capabilities of this case since it is rather insulated. Any thoughts?

Mouse: -
    Unsure momentarily. I'm looking for a good MMO and FPS mouse (not necessarily 1 mouse. Momentarily, I'm using 2 mice too.) Perhaps I'll get another Death Adder and Naga.

Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K60 Black/Metal USB Wired Gaming Performance, FPS Mechanical Keyboard
    Looks like a solid mechanical keyboard (although not completely). It seems easy to clean, the wrist rest looks comfortable, and I like the looks.

Headset: A50 WIRELESS HEADSET ASTRO EDITION
    Looks like an awesome headset. Read quite a lot of good reviews about them. Seems to be comfortable even for users with a big head (like me).

Cooling system: Thermaltake CLW0217 Water 2.0 Extreme/All-In-One Liquid Cooling System
    Since I would like to overclock my system I imagine that I need something more effective than aircooling. At the same time, I'm not very familiar with watercooling and for my own safety (or at least for my wallet) I think it would be a good idea to start off with this premade set so I will not have any potential problems with leaking tubes.

Memory coolers: G.SKILL FTB-3500C5-D Fans
    If I'll be going for the G.SKILL memory then these will keep them nice and cool while overclocked. I have been reading some contradictory statements though. Some say memory cooling is a complete waste while others will not do without. Any thoughts? In the case that the Corsair memory is compatible and cooling is a necessity, does anybody have a suggestion for that?

Thank you for bearing with me and thanks in advance for your feedback,
  • More about : feedback gaming rig

August 15, 2012 9:03:33 AM

with your price range the 3960X seems like it would be more future proof. You can use the mouse and keyboard you have now to save money. and instead of the Water 2.0 Extreme, try the Corsair H100 since you like corsair. I have one and it does wonders! For the HDD try a WD Caviar Black or with your budget you can even try a WD Velociraptor. Then buy a 120/128gb SSD for OS and games.
    m
    l
    August 15, 2012 9:04:27 AM

btw OC'ing memory is a waste of time unless its already running at 1866 imo. and http://ncix.com/ is a good site.
    m
    l
    Related resources
    August 15, 2012 9:12:32 AM

xxaamxx135 said:
    btw OC'ing memory is a waste of time unless its already running at 1866 imo. and http://ncix.com/ is a good site.

Thanks for the site.
    m
    l
    August 15, 2012 9:12:53 AM

xxaamxx135 said:
    with your price range the 3960X seems like it would be more future proof. You can use the mouse and keyboard you have now to save money. and instead of the Water 2.0 Extreme, try the Corsair H100 since you like corsair. I have one and it does wonders! For the HDD try a WD Caviar Black or with your budget you can even try a WD Velociraptor. Then buy a 120/128gb SSD for OS and games.

I was considering the the 3930k so I can use it temporarily until there is a decent IB for the 2011 socket. Probably it will be easier to sell a 3930k at less of a loss than the 3960x when there will be a IB chip for the 2011 socket.

I'll take the advice on the Corsair H100 into consideration.

Currently I still have my 2TB HDD which isn't full yet so not considering another HDD.

I already have the Corsair Force GT 240Gb so that should be fine too. I intend to create a 15Gb partition for my OS and the other for games.
    m
    l
    August 15, 2012 9:31:25 AM

The 3930 will be fine. And The OS, if you're using Windows 7, it takes up at lest 16gb.
    m
    l
    August 15, 2012 3:23:41 PM

xxaamxx135 said:
    The 3930 will be fine. And The OS, if you're using Windows 7, it takes up at lest 16gb.

I've read some threads though where the installation of Windows 7 could be kept clean and small at 12Gb. Quite some functions has to be turned off though but it would increase the lifespan of the SSD (turning off the recycle bin, temp files on a HDD, sysfile on a HDD, turning off defrag)
    m
    l
    August 15, 2012 4:40:49 PM

I will agree with H100. If you want, you can put it in a push-pull configuration by replacing the stock fans with 4 more fans. Scythe AP15 are excellent choice. Cougar Vortex seems nice too. But be sure that this set-up can fit in your case of choice.

As for the SSD, you may want to try Crucial M4. They have good reviews about it.

As for the keyboard, go with Ducky D908S if you still have enough money for it. It maybe the best mechanical keyboard as of now.

As for the mouse, you may want to try Logitech G9X.
    m
    l
    August 15, 2012 6:08:24 PM

No, not m4. Corsair GT's good, though i'm biased towards Samsung's 830 for non-sandforce and Intel's 520 series for a sandforce drive.

Obviously because of reliability+performance.
    m
    l
    August 15, 2012 6:16:42 PM

The M4 is just fine.

OP, you have it opposite. 750W is enough for 2 GTX 680s in CF/SLI with OCing headroom. 550W is for one 670.

Btw, it is better to build a $1.5k system and upgrade every 2 years than get a 4.5k system and upgrade every 3-4 years.
    m
    l
    August 15, 2012 7:04:25 PM

benpascual said:
    I will agree with H100. If you want, you can put it in a push-pull configuration by replacing the stock fans with 4 more fans. Scythe AP15 are excellent choice. Cougar Vortex seems nice too. But be sure that this set-up can fit in your case of choice.

As for the SSD, you may want to try Crucial M4. They have good reviews about it.

As for the keyboard, go with Ducky D908S if you still have enough money for it. It maybe the best mechanical keyboard as of now.

As for the mouse, you may want to try Logitech G9X.

Interesting... I'll try to find some posts about people who put a H100 in push-pull config with this type of case. Would be quite a disappointment if I would run into that issue. At least I know that the standard config works in this case.

The SSD's are already a done deal but I'll keep it in mind for future SSDs or if the current Corsair fails miserably on me.

I'll look into the Ducky... I vaguely read about it but did not gave it too much attention yet.

The mouse I'm still unsure about... perhaps I'll have to see it in store or ask if 1 of my friends to give it a test run.
    m
    l
    August 15, 2012 7:08:57 PM

azeem40 said:
    The M4 is just fine.

OP, you have it opposite. 750W is enough for 2 GTX 680s in CF/SLI with OCing headroom. 550W is for one 670.

Btw, it is better to build a $1.5k system and upgrade every 2 years than get a 4.5k system and upgrade every 3-4 years.

Nice! That would save me a PSU. :)  I used the Newegg Power Supply Calculator and it suggested me a 824W PSU for 2xSLI.

I know it could be more worthwhile to build a 1.5k system but I'm quite the thinker... before I upgrade my system I think, read, reevaluate for several months before actually buying. I don't want to do that on a biyearly basis. ;)  Thanks for the advice though.
    m
    l
    August 15, 2012 8:21:22 PM

Asus x79
    16 GB 2400 G.Skill Trident
    2X EVGA 680
    NZXT Switch 810
    Corsair AX1200
    Samsung 830 128 SSD
    1 TB WD Black HDD
    Cosair H100

You got the budget so why no have the best
    m
    l
    August 15, 2012 8:40:35 PM

Rashka85 said:
    I've read some threads though where the installation of Windows 7 could be kept clean and small at 12Gb. Quite some functions has to be turned off though but it would increase the lifespan of the SSD (turning off the recycle bin, temp files on a HDD, sysfile on a HDD, turning off defrag)

Yes that is true by turning off Hibernation, lowering Page file size etc.
    m
    l
    August 15, 2012 11:46:00 PM

redeemer said:
    Asus x79
    16 GB 2400 G.Skill Trident
    2X EVGA 680
    NZXT Switch 810
    Corsair AX1200
    Samsung 830 128 SSD
    1 TB WD Black HDD
    Cosair H100

You got the budget so why no have the best

Your suggestion would push it up another 1000-1500$ and I do not want to do that. Even though the 3960x is better than the 3930k the gain does in my opinion not justify the 500$ increase in cost.
    m
    l
    August 16, 2012 11:13:51 AM

Yeah the 3930K's going to be fine. I dunno, i have reservations about the m4. A bit old, now.
    m
    l
    August 16, 2012 3:43:51 PM

ojas said:
    Yeah the 3930K's going to be fine. I dunno, i have reservations about the m4. A bit old, now.

The m4?
    m
    l
    August 16, 2012 6:13:21 PM

mastrom101 said:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/eMJH

Dock $150 because the monitors here are more than what you paid.

I would strongly recommend SLI or Xfire on a 4.5K rig.

Good Luck

Looks pretty solid too. Now I'll have to do some research on HD7970 in Xfire or GTX680 in SLI.

Price will be a tad higher though since I'm resident in Canada and not in the States.

I was already considering SLI but in 6 months since I initially thought that I would need a new PSU for that too... bumping the price tag with another 800-900$.
    m
    l

Best solution

August 16, 2012 6:17:53 PM

Yep, it is $4612 without rebates.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/eMJH
    August 16, 2012 6:52:47 PM

Rashka85 said:
    Looks pretty solid too. Now I'll have to do some research on HD7970 in Xfire or GTX680 in SLI.

Price will be a tad higher though since I'm resident in Canada and not in the States.

I was already considering SLI but in 6 months since I initially thought that I would need a new PSU for that too... bumping the price tag with another 800-900$.

I would start with one of the two cards in SLI/XFire, and possibly add a third card down the road.
    And a 1000-1400 watt PSU will be sufficient.

And that is correct, parts are more expensive here in Canada. I actually like Tigerdirect (www.tigerdirect.ca) for parts, but Newegg is also good.

Also, don't forget about the 670 and the 7970 GHZ Edition. The Toxic card is an amazingly powerful card, with 6Gb of VRAM. The 670 is a good value.
    m
    l
    August 16, 2012 9:12:10 PM

mastrom101 said:
    I would start with one of the two cards in SLI/XFire, and possibly add a third card down the road.
    And a 1000-1400 watt PSU will be sufficient.

And that is correct, parts are more expensive here in Canada. I actually like Tigerdirect (www.tigerdirect.ca) for parts, but Newegg is also good.

Also, don't forget about the 670 and the 7970 GHZ Edition. The Toxic card is an amazingly powerful card, with 6Gb of VRAM. The 670 is a good value.

That 7970 Toxic looks interesting indeed... now just need to find some benchmarks about it and compare it to the 680 GTX 4GB. But perhaps the 6Gb VRAM is a tad of overkill.

Furthermore I've read that a single 7970 would outperform a 680 but once in a multi setup that SLI would perform better than Xfire. Any thoughts? Or is it in the end personal flavor?

I wasn't considering the 670 since it doesn't OC as well as the 680 (at least so far I've read).
    m
    l
    August 17, 2012 1:49:56 PM

Best answer selected by Rashka85.
    m
    l
    August 17, 2012 3:43:04 PM

Thanks everybody for their input. Highly appreciated.
    m
    l
    August 18, 2012 8:24:44 PM

Oopsy... sorry man just noticed it too :S.
    You have my deepest gratitude though. Thanks! :D 
    m
    l
    August 18, 2012 9:13:22 PM

Rashka85 said:
    Oopsy... sorry man just noticed it too :S.
    You have my deepest gratitude though. Thanks! :D 

Why do you want that Asrock Extreme 9 X79? Get the Asus Rampage IV Formula for cheaper or Rampage IV Extreme instead.
    m
    l
    August 18, 2012 11:08:21 PM

Actually I'm still considering the Asrock Extreme6/GB for a few reasons:
  • 3 PCI 3.0 slots in x16 x16 x8 (whereas the E9 has 4 slots but either x8, x8, x8,x8 or x16, 0, 16,0 x16)
  • The Game Blaster Audio seems to be better than the onboard audio.
  • The Xfast technology seems like a funny gimmick.
  • Had a few bad experiences with Asus boards.
    First, Asus STRIKER EXTREME: Didn't boot in my case but it did out of my case. Fixed it later since it seemed that there was currency leakage preventing the pc from booting.
    Second, Asus P5N-T Deluxe (current board): Have to reboot it 5s after I boot otherwise my videocard won't work. Weird ***
    Therefore I am slightly wary of Asus.

I must admit though that the 5 PCI 3.0 slots in x16, x16, x16, x16, x8 look interesting and actually has more possibilities of expanding than the ASRock Extreme6/GB. At the same time... I'm not considering 4xSLI (how nice it would look though. :)  )

I'll do some more research on that board and a proper case than. Changed my mind about the case due to cooling issues. I would like to set up that H100 push/pull config and that won't work in that case.
    m
    l
    August 19, 2012 12:10:37 AM

Rashka85 said:
    Actually I'm still considering the Asrock Extreme6/GB for a few reasons:
  • 3 PCI 3.0 slots in x16 x16 x8 (whereas the E9 has 4 slots but either x8, x8, x8,x8 or x16, 0, 16,0 x16)
  • The Game Blaster Audio seems to be better than the onboard audio.
  • The Xfast technology seems like a funny gimmick.
  • Had a few bad experiences with Asus boards.
    First, Asus STRIKER EXTREME: Didn't boot in my case but it did out of my case. Fixed it later since it seemed that there was currency leakage preventing the pc from booting.
    Second, Asus P5N-T Deluxe (current board): Have to reboot it 5s after I boot otherwise my videocard won't work. Weird ***
    Therefore I am slightly wary of Asus.

I must admit though that the 5 PCI 3.0 slots in x16, x16, x16, x16, x8 look interesting and actually has more possibilities of expanding than the ASRock Extreme6/GB. At the same time... I'm not considering 4xSLI (how nice it would look though. :)  )

I'll do some more research on that board and a proper case than. Changed my mind about the case due to cooling issues. I would like to set up that H100 push/pull config and that won't work in that case.

• Haha dw about the link.

I agree that motherboard is better than the IV.
    Regarding the case, I'm not very knowledgeable about cases, so I wont be able to help you that much.
    m
    l
    August 19, 2012 12:23:27 AM

mastrom101 said:
    Haha dw about the link.

I agree that motherboard is better than the IV.
    Regarding the case, I'm not very knowledgeable about cases, so I wont be able to help you that much.

I actually disagree. Asus Rampage IV Extreme is miles better than the Asrock Extreme 6/9. I had nothing but bad experience with Asrock. Their boards are flimsy, easily bend when applying moderate amount of pressure and quality is not on par with Asus.
    m
    l
    August 19, 2012 4:30:20 AM

Flare01 said:
    I actually disagree. Asus Rampage IV Extreme is miles better than the Asrock Extreme 6/9. I had nothing but bad experience with Asrock. Their boards are flimsy, easily bend when applying moderate amount of pressure and quality is not on par with Asus.

Probably I'll give the RIVE a shot then and hope that it surpasses my expectations.
    m
    l
    !