PLEASE HELP DVD DECODER!

Whenever i try to play a DVD on my comptuer, it gives me an error saying that
my DVD decoder is not installed on my computer. It used to work before,
please help me try and fix this problem.

No wrote:
> Whenever i try to play a DVD on my comptuer, it gives me an error
> saying that my DVD decoder is not installed on my computer. It used
> to work before, please help me try and fix this problem.

Before what?
What decoder/player do/did you have installed?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> No wrote:
> > Whenever i try to play a DVD on my comptuer, it gives me an error
> > saying that my DVD decoder is not installed on my computer. It used
> > to work before, please help me try and fix this problem.
>
> Before what?
> What decoder/player do/did you have installed?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
>

> Before, before like two days ago, and now it won't play DVD's.
I tried playing a DVD first with Windows Media Player 10, but got a "DVD
Decoder not installed message." Then I tired playing it with Cyberlink
PowerDVD, same error. THEN I tried InterActual Player, still same error.

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

WMP10 does not come with a built in DVD decoder; you must purchase a
plug-in.

If the other decoders don't work then ask the respective tech support for
help.

No wrote:
> Before, before like two days ago, and now it won't play DVD's.
> I tried playing a DVD first with Windows Media Player 10, but got a
> "DVD Decoder not installed message." Then I tired playing it with
> Cyberlink PowerDVD, same error. THEN I tried InterActual Player,
> still same error.

So what changed? What did you install/uninstall/tweak?

And - what happens when you simply uninstall PowerDVD and reinstall it?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

You need a DVD player - might be some free for download, but first check the
software that came with your DVD drive; usualy, a basic DVD player is
provided.
For WMP, there are DVD decoders - via WMP/Tools/Plug-ins/Download
plug-ins... and check around but I do not remember any of those being
offered for free.
Just google for "freeware WMP DVD decoder" or such.
Since XP does not come w/ a DVD decoder, you must have gotten that file from
somwhere... might be OEM XP.
Michael

No wrote:

> Whenever i try to play a DVD on my comptuer, it gives me an error saying that
> my DVD decoder is not installed on my computer. It used to work before,
> please help me try and fix this problem.

Usually when you buy a video card, it will come with a DVD decoder on the
CD. If you have updated your videocard drivers, and removed the old ones,
you may have inadvertantly uninstalled the DVD decoder too.

I'm not sure about Nvidia, but ATI has the DVD decoder on their website.
If you download it, you'll be required to put in your original ATI driver
CD to prove you are entitled to use the downloaded one.

--
Segovia - 09/06/2005 7:13:22 PM

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

What I did was put mplayer in google - you get a player and codecs that'll
play anything I've ever tried to watch. And I don't only watch what you can
rent/purchase on your local high street. Just have to do a little bit of
README perusing to get it right

TRENDING THREADS