Your question
Solved

Odd discoloration on 3770K contacts

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Tiny
Last response: in CPUs
December 30, 2012 9:11:13 AM

So I upgraded from an A50 to an H80, and in the process of cleaning up my 3770K, I noticed some odd staining on the contacts on the back. Sorry for the external images, I'm new here.

middle, top-right discoloration:
http://imgur.com/C37lt

Has anybody seen this before? I found a tiny stray bit of thermal grease on the underside, away from the contacts, nearer to the tiny resistors, but it appeared to be sovereign. Do you reckon I could clean this with %90 rubbing alcohol and a q-tip?
I only had %70 on me, so I didn't bother. It was working when I pulled it out, and it still appears to be working fine.

I'm posting this as a question, I apologize if it should be under discussions.

More about : odd discoloration 3770k contacts

a c 107 à CPUs
December 30, 2012 12:06:17 PM

I do not recommend any cleaning solutions on this side (underside) of the CPU. The alcohol/cleaning fluid might find its way inside and create problems.

As for the discoloration, it does look unusual. If the CPU is functioning properly don't worry about the discoloration. It could be that during manufacturing there was some slight film of something at that area that prevented automated cleaning on the assembly line.

Careful cleaning with a dry 'Q Tip' will help. Make sure that you blow off the fibers that are left behind. Moist alcohol swabs will help too. Hold the CPU upside down (lands down) and use sparingly.
m
l
a c 107 à CPUs
December 30, 2012 1:37:34 PM

I have just started a new build around the i7 3770K. As a matter of rule, I usually take high res photos of the components that go into my system.

I just finished taking pics of the i7 3770K and in the process inspected it for marks, discoloration, damage, etc (visual). It looked fine (unlike the photo of the CPU that you posted).
m
l
Related resources
a c 346 à CPUs
December 30, 2012 1:55:35 PM

Looks unusual to me.
Is it possible that your old waterblock had a tiny leak that could have seeped down into the cpu?

I would not try to clean or touch the contacts assuming that the cpu operates properly when you reinstall it.
m
l
December 30, 2012 8:01:34 PM

geofelt said:
Looks unusual to me.
Is it possible that your old waterblock had a tiny leak that could have seeped down into the cpu?

I would not try to clean or touch the contacts assuming that the cpu operates properly when you reinstall it.

No, this is the first time I have used a water cooler on this system. The previous cooler was an A50, which is essentially Corsair's version of a Hyper 212. I have a feeling that if it had anything to do with water, it would have died by now.
m
l
December 30, 2012 8:07:55 PM

Ubrales said:
I have just started a new build around the i7 3770K. As a matter of rule, I usually take high res photos of the components that go into my system.

I just finished taking pics of the i7 3770K and in the process inspected it for marks, discoloration, damage, etc (visual). It looked fine (unlike the photo of the CPU that you posted).

Yeah, I don't remember seeing it when I was first putting it together. I feel like I would have noticed, because it is a little more prominent in real life than it is in the photos.
m
l
December 30, 2012 8:50:44 PM

You can see the same discoloration along the lower left edge; it's hard to tell, almost like an optical illusion. I say pop it in and see what happens, but I wouldn't touch that underbelly with your fingers, alcohol, qtip - anything.
m
l

Best solution

a c 107 à CPUs
December 30, 2012 9:00:31 PM

taizo said:
Yeah, I don't remember seeing it when I was first putting it together. I feel like I would have noticed, because it is a little more prominent in real life than it is in the photos.

The lands are gold flashed; extremely thin layer. That is why it is so delicate. One thing is sure, gold does not discolor or tarnish.

Since the CPU is working fine, leave it alone and continue to use it.
a c 346 à CPUs
December 30, 2012 10:08:55 PM

If the cpu does not work, Intel will probably be very interested in the chip, and will replace it under warranty.
It might not be a bad idea to contact Intel support anyway.
m
l
January 7, 2013 12:39:48 AM

Best answer selected by Taizo.
m
l
a c 107 à CPUs
January 7, 2013 8:37:58 AM

Thank you!
m
l
April 12, 2014 10:56:53 PM

I had one of these happen. The bottom where some of the contacts were darker around the edges, and the resistors were dull in color, as in not as shiny as a newer cpu. i OC'd to 4.4 just fine with no issues booting or starting up ever, and no issues during computer usage or any caution messages. I took it out to do some work and such, only difference is from every other potential ive read so far, is that mine does not work anymore. No actual burn marks on the IHS or anywhere else. Any other ideas on what could be a factor of this?
m
l
!