First build $500 - $600 budget, good for gaming?

ComputerGuy95

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Ok so I'm pretty new to the forums, and I've been trying to get a PC together (part wise before I buy) for the past two weeks. I was originally going to buy a PC pre-built, than I wanted to get a bare bones bundle, NOW I figure It's best I put one together with pro advice and good parts. This will mainly be for gaming such as Guild Wars 2, WOW, AC3, etc...

So after reading countless forum threads, I think I have a good machine here but I really need any advice I can get. This is what I've been looking at for parts:

- Intel Core i5-3570K ($240)
- Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM DDR3-1600MHz ($55)
- Seagate Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive ($90)
- LG Internal 24X DVD Writer SATA ($18)
- Cooler Master RC-430-KWN1 Elite 430 Mid Tower ATX Case ($50)
- Coolmax 600-Watt 135mm Fan ATX Power Supply ($46)

TOTAL: About $500

And then I couldn't decide on a good motherboard unfortunately, if you can recommend any please do!
Also, the GPU I am going to purchase at a later time and I was thinking the Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 1GB.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read all this, please leave me any advice, while I am a computer geek, I struggle with knowing the insides so I wouldn't be surprised if some of these are a bit off.

jerreddredd

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

ComputerGuy95

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Ok I appreciate the advice on the PSU and the Mobo, I have been browsing more and I found a pretty good motherboard I believe (from the reviews) and how would this PSU be? Cooler Master brand and 500W? Would that be enough to power this rig and the video card too though?

- Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30Ghz (I plan to OC eventually so the cooling fan isn't a priority right now) (Found it at a cheaper price)
- ASUS P8Z68-V LX Intel Z68 Motherboard
- Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3-1333MHz
- Seagate Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive SATA
- LG Internal 24X DVD Writer
- Cooler Master RC-430-KWN1 Elite 430 Mid Tower ATX Case
- Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500-Watt
- Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 1GB

jerreddredd

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

this is not a good choice either
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/02/16/entry_level_power_supply_roundup/2

the only good CoolerMaster PSU's are the ones made by Enhance Electronics - like the GX 450 (RS-450-ACAA-D3) which is a good buy when its under $50.

here is a PSU database the has review links and ratings
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page364.htm

generally Corsair, Seasonic, XFX Core series, SilverStone, Antec are all good PSU's. you should get one of these brands in the 500-600 watt range. you might get away with a 430 or 450 watt if you are not OCing both the CPU and GPU.

CoolerMaster is okay for computer cases, they make awesome CPU coolers, but never buy them for power supplies.

CoolerMaster in terms of cases, often cut corners, for example Half 912s, which are great cases for around $60, managed to cut a corner by not painting the back side and inside of the case. I personally, don't like corner cuts like that in a computer case, but its not as bad as Sentey cases at least.

CM has a bad habit of not only releasing sub-par power supplies, they have also been known to downright lie about their capabilities. Thats bad news all around.