Nafis

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Hi guys!
Im in the market for a new computer because my current Intel Core 2 Duo ASUS laptop isn't keeping up with me anymore haha. I do a lot of CAD work (Photoshop, Cinema 4D, After Effects, 3DS Max), and my budget is about $900.

I don't game on the computer, I have my PS3 for that.

All I really need is a nice looking laptop or all-in-one desktop (I only want a tower if I'm going to build it myself, which I'm not this time around, probably next time though!).

If it is a laptop I want it to be fairly thin but I dont *need* ultrabook thin.
And the all-in-one just has to look good.

Otherwise its all really confusing. After researching for months and being very interested in specs and all, I'm well aware of what specs are powerful and what aren't, but it's still difficult.

I'm mostly wondering if for Photoshop and 3D rendering, do I need an i3, i5, or i7 processor. More than likely I'll need i5 or i7 obviously, but I'm throwing i3 in there just in case.

Also how much RAM would I need? 6GB or 8GB?

Lastly, do I need a dedicated graphics card or will the integrated Intel card do just fine? Because I don't play games on here but if a 1GB card will do something to help my work I'd love to know!

Obviously, the best choice would be a 8GB/i7 combo but do I need that? I'd love it to be fast but would an 6GB/i5 or 8GB/i5 work as good?

Well other than that I have no preferences.

If you have any recommended models that's great. But if you can just help me out with understanding what specs I really need, I can try to find one on my own :)!

Let me know!!

Solution
It sounds to me that you do video rendering, not Computer Aided Design or CAD work. Video rendering time is hardware and soft ware dependent, you have good software so it's a matter of how much time you want to take to render something. I use my game machine to do that type of stuff, look at my sig. Go here to look at some all in one machines. http://www.asus.com/Allinone_PCs/

baddad

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
It sounds to me that you do video rendering, not Computer Aided Design or CAD work. Video rendering time is hardware and soft ware dependent, you have good software so it's a matter of how much time you want to take to render something. I use my game machine to do that type of stuff, look at my sig. Go here to look at some all in one machines. http://www.asus.com/Allinone_PCs/

Solution

Nafis

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012

Its not all video rendering but there is some part of it that is.

But my question still stands as to what specs I need (as described above)

Haha sorry just confused.