Should I change from AMD to INTEL?

Hi everyone!

For about 9 months ago I bought the components for an awesome gaming pc (if I say so myself ;) )
AMD FX 8120
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3
Corsair XMS3 4 x 4 GB
ZOTAC (nVidia) GeForce GTX 560 AMP! Edition
WD Blue WD5000AAKS 500 GB Harddisk
Cooler Master Elite 430
Cooler Master GenimII SF524

1 month later I find out that my pc overheats way to easy so I upgrade from the old cooler to the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus.... And the pc still overheats....
Either I run the cooler at very high rpm, with a lot of noise, and only overheat after a lot of BF3 hours, OR, I run it at low rpm, with the side of the cabinet off...

And I'm tired of that, and it annoys me that I didn't looked the heat up when I started thinking of a new pc...

Today I've started to look up how much it would cost me to change the necessary parts, so that instead of my AMD cpu, I could run with INTEL (have read that they don't generate nearly as much heat)
And that would result in me trying to sell the MOTHERBOARD, CPU, and the COOLER...

So the question is:
Would you recommend me selling the old parts, and buying som new ones?
(These 3 parts costed me 1800 DKK - 240 EUR - 319 USD - 197 GBP)
And which cpu, motherboard and cooler you recommend for me?
I'm willing to spend a maximum of 1000 DKK extra (134 EUR - 177 USD - 109 GBP)

I thought I'd post my question here because I often see how great advice/answers people get in here ;)
Thanks in advance! :D

[DKK is the currency in Denmark, the country in which I live in :) )
42 answers Last reply
More about should change intel
  1. The 212+ should cool down that CPU considerably. Did you remove the old thermal paste and reapply it? Have you overclocked at all and changed the voltage? How are the fans in your case configured? Do the top ones blow out (exhaust) and the bottom ones blow in (intake)?

What are your temps?
  2. I don't know your currency but with $177 dollars you would probably be able to get an i3 with low end motherboard on stock cooler, don't bother buying an after market CPU cooler for an i3 as you can't overclock it.. An i5 cost around ~ a minimum of around 150 USD to 170 USD on sale, and around $200 regular price. So that would pretty much leave you with no motherboard. But I am no expert in your currency maybe the stores in your place have different prices. If you sell your old CPU, Motherboard, and Cooler you'll most likely be able to sell it for around ~ 270-300 USD, add that to your $170 budget then you might be able to pull an Intel i5 system.
    As for you FX system, you might want to consider your motherboard, the heatsink in the motherboard are not that big. Do you overclock your FX-8120? Also I'd recommend a 990FX board with an FX processor. Most 990FX boards have big heatsinks.
  3. I have removed thermal paste a couple of times, yes.
    Overclocking and voltage: Haven't touched a thing, don't know how to do it...
    But I can remember that I have the case stock-fan in front and a Excalibur fan in top. I can't quite remember how each fan blow in and out, but I'll reply to you tomorrow when I get home to it :)
    My average BF3/Far Cry 3 gaming temps are min 40 degrees and sometimes all the way up to 60 degrees...
  4. Rokken said:
    I have removed thermal paste a couple of times, yes.
    Overclocking and voltage: Haven't touched a thing, don't know how to do it...
    But I can remember that I have the case stock-fan in front and a Excalibur fan in top. I can't quite remember how each fan blow in and out, but I'll reply to you tomorrow when I get home to it :)
    My average BF3/Far Cry 3 gaming temps are min 40 degrees and sometimes all the way up to 60 degrees...

60C really is not as high as you think. BF3 and farcry 3 are both very new and resource intensive games. But your temps are a little high.

How did you apply thermal paste? You should use the pea method as in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyXLu1Ms-q4

In my opinion if you are happy with the AMDs performance, don't go to Intel, at least not yet. Wait for Intel next gen in April called Haswell.

You won't see much better temps with Ivy, it runs quite hot. Mine hits 60C in BF3 and that's with a Corsair H80.
  5. Novuake, that's what I thought at first until I researched the 8120. The max temp for the 8120 is only 61C. Intel processors can take much more heat apparently.

Rokken, I think you should try to figure out whats keeping your temps high. The 212+ should keep the 8120 at around 50 degrees at load. Can we see the inside of your case?
  6. mljls1 said:
    Novuake, that's what I thought at first until I researched the 8120. The max temp for the 8120 is only 61C. Intel processors can take much more heat apparently.

Rokken, I think you should try to figure out whats keeping your temps high. The 212+ should keep the 8120 at around 50 degrees at load. Can we see the inside of your case?

That 61C is hogwash. I am aware of it, but ive seen these chips run in excess of 70C. But yes, there is room for improvement on his temps.
  7. Thanks for all the replies!

I can try to upload a picture of the inside of my pc, but I can't do it until tomorrow, because I'm not home today... I can also add some arrows showing the airflow.
    And I applied thermal paste on the cpu, by placing some by the size of a pea, then using my finger to level it out.
    But for 110 GBP I can get the INTEL i5 3570k, ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3 and another alright cooler, if I buy it all in my country.
    But I'll try to upload a picture tomorrow, and adding some new thermal paste to the cpu.
    61C is the max temp for the cpu, but Nouvake, you say that's not the case?
  8. Leveling it with your finger or anything for that matter is never a good idea. Go to 1:50 of this video and you will see why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyXLu1Ms-q4

How are you removing the old thermal paste? The best way (if you dont have product specifically for removing thermal paste) is to use isopropyl alcohol and a coffee filter (because it doesn't leave lint behind).
  9. mljls1 said:
    Leveling it with your finger or anything for that matter is never a good idea. Go to 1:50 of this video and you will see why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyXLu1Ms-q4

How are you removing the old thermal paste? The best way (if you dont have product specifically for removing thermal paste) is to use isopropyl alcohol and a coffee filter (because it doesn't leave lint behind).

lol you realize i have posted this already?
  10. I didn't click on your link, no. However I just wanted to point to the where in the video that it explains why he shouldn't do that.
  11. Yeah, I saw the video and now I understand. I'll remove the old thermal paste tomorrow using this alcohol:
    http://www.billigbyg.dk/images/borup_sprit-p.jpg
    The label says that it's a mix of Ethanol and Butanon.
    The coffee filter is that instead of a piece of cloth for removing?
    And I'll try out the X-method or the pea-method for applying it :)
  12. Intel chips generally get more work done at lower wattage. However, my i7 (with a 212 cooler, ans a 600Mhz OC) gets into the 70's under stress tests.
  13. DO NOT use the X method. It puts way too much thermal paste on the CPU. The die is in the center of the CPU and that's what produces the most heat. That's why the pea method is the most efficient and effective. I am not so sure of that alcohol but I think it might be okay. Just be careful. I recommended the coffee filter because it doesn't leave lint behind like a lot of regular cloths. If you have a cloth that doesn't produce lint then you should be okay.
  14. Rokken said:
    Yeah, I saw the video and now I understand. I'll remove the old thermal paste tomorrow using this alcohol:
    http://www.billigbyg.dk/images/borup_sprit-p.jpg
    The label says that it's a mix of Ethanol and Butanon.
    The coffee filter is that instead of a piece of cloth for removing?
    And I'll try out the X-method or the pea-method for applying it :)

Use the pea method. Period, don't argue, just do... Daddy knows whats best... LOL :pt1cable:
  15. mljls1 said:
    DO NOT use the X method. It puts way too much thermal paste on the CPU. The die is in the center of the CPU and that's what produces the most heat. That's why the pea method is the most efficient and effective. I am not so sure of that alcohol but I think it might be okay. Just be careful. I recommended the coffee filter because it doesn't leave lint behind like a lot of regular clothes. If you have a cloth that doesn't produce lint then you should be okay.

Ok, thank you for the advice. I'll try it out. With coffee filter and all :) The alcohol is alright I believe. My neighbor uses it when he removes thermal paste, and he's an experienced pc builder, although he don't know the solution to the heat problem.
  16. Let us know your results!
  17. My FX-6100, runs around 25-29 on underclocked speed (AMD Cool and Quiet is turned on) and around 39-41/43, fluctuates on the 41-43 while gaming or stress testing the system. My cooler is Deep Cool Ice Blade Pro v2 and used the thermal paste that was provided with the cooler. I don't know how your 8120 runs so hot.. Those temps are referring to core temps, case/mb temp is at 39/41 on idle and around 55-60 on load..
  18. No, I don't think you should be changing from AMD to INTEL. At least not yet. Figure out why you're overheating? Are you even overheating or do you think you're overheating? :P
  19. The program I use to measure the temp is the program that comes with Gigabyte motherboards (can't remember the name, something like GT6 or something -.- )
    It has an alarm that I've set to 61C.
    But it's only when I have set the quiet adapter for the fan on that I have to remove the side of the case.
    The problem is there's only a quiet mode (case-side removed to prevent overheating) or a normal mode that makes a hell lot of noise...
    But I'm afraid of giving you guys wrong info, 'cause I can't remember all the details about it, and like I said: I'm not where my pc are :(
  20. Hi :)

If you want better GAMING, just buy a better graphics card...your is mid range...

All the best Brett :)
  21. I have that GFX Card and I can tell you if you aren't bumping the fan speed up manually in afterburner, you can reach 92C quite easily. Have you checked your GPU temps with a program like MSI Afterburner to see what your temps are when you are gaming. Maybe ambient heat is effecting your CPU temps but I doubt it.
  22. To Brett928S2:
    Ok, thanks, I might do that sometime in the future. But as of now, I'm quite satisfied the performance, it's just the heat that's affecting me...
    To mljls1:
    Ok, I'll check that out tomorrow. MSI Afterburner you say? Is that like SpeedFan just for the GPU fans? I've tried SpeedFan to control my CPU cooler that either runs damn fast or 600rpm, but there ain't no tutorials for the newer version that I know of. But once again that'll be tomorrow... Being out of my cave is never good xD
  23. I think that it could either be your cooler, or your graphics card. I used to run the nVidia 8800 GTS and it was pretty loud, then I upgraded to the MSI GTX 460 and my PC is pretty quiet. Your GTX 560 isn't a top of the line graphics card especially for playing BF3 so maybe an upgrade to a 660 TI or a 670 would be good for you. It could also be your cooler, I would recommend one of the Corsair Hydro Series and one of their quiet series fans to go along with it. This will assure that your PC does not over heat and stays quiet.
  24. mylesw said:
    I think that it could either be your cooler, or your graphics card. I used to run the nVidia 8800 GTS and it was pretty loud, then I upgraded to the MSI GTX 460 and my PC is pretty quiet. Your GTX 560 isn't a top of the line graphics card especially for playing BF3 so maybe an upgrade to a 660 TI or a 670 would be good for you. It could also be your cooler, I would recommend one of the Corsair Hydro Series and one of their quiet series fans to go along with it. This will assure that your PC does not over heat and stays quiet.

I don't know about using a water cooler... Do you have any recommendations for normal coolers, with good performance and low noise?
    And I don't think that it's the noise from my graphics card that annoys me, 'cause when I turn the cpu cooler down to 600-800 rpm, it's still the only thing that I can hear.

But more and more people is saying that I could potentially upgrade my GPU, so maybe I will :)
  25. Guys I just remembered a fact! My cpu fan can't run any faster than it does (1300 rpm I think) but the noise is coming from the top fan, the Cooler Master Excalibur! And it's without that blowing at 2000 rpm, that my PC overheats. Because the very hot air can't get properly out the case. Sorry that I forgot to mention it, but better late than never.
  26. So I guess you just replace that fan and you are all set!
  27. You can set that fan to run at slower speed, is that a 120mm fan or 140mm or 200mm? Or you can replace that fan with some other fan that runs more quietly at the same speed.
  28. I've just uploaded the foto on my blog xD

http://pigrokke.blogspot.dk/

It's should be the first topic.

These are the rpm of the fans (according to EasyTune6)

CPU fan speed=1305 rpm
    Cooler Master Excalibur= (slow mode) 810 rpm
    Case stock fan= 450 rpm

I've used MSI Afterburner to measure the speed of the GPU fans, and the program said around 3300 rpm after I've turned up the speed.. Before it was 1750. The GPU fans have a maximum rpm of 4600 rpm.

After writing this reply I will clean off the old thermal paste and add some new, using the pea method.
  29. empty213 said:
    You can set that fan to run at slower speed, is that a 120mm fan or 140mm or 200mm? Or you can replace that fan with some other fan that runs more quietly at the same speed.

That is a 120mm fan
  30. New thermal paste, higher GPU fans rpm: DONE!
    Change: NONE

The PC still overheats after a while (while in game) with the case side on...
  31. Try organizing your wires, add another fan to the CPU Cooler, one that takes air and blows in to the rear. Is your PSU's fan an exhaust fan? if yes then it's blowing hot air right to the GPU..
  32. No the power supply isn't blowing up, it goes in from the bottom, and out in the back
  33. Would you recommend these parts?:

Intel i5 3570k
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3
    Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 Pro Rev. 2
    Arctic Cooling F8 Pro TC

I'm probably gonna end up buying these and selling the others, but do you guys know any issues with any of these parts?
  34. No, I wouldn't recommend those parts. I'd recommend Z77 Extreme4 and Hyper EVO.
  35. FinneousPJ said:
    No, I wouldn't recommend those parts. I'd recommend Z77 Extreme4 and Hyper EVO.

+1
  36. Nope, I would change the motherboard if I were you.
  37. FinneousPJ said:

Why not the Arctic Cooling stuff? My friend has those two and they're some of the most quiet I've ever seen. At a decent speed of course
  38. FinneousPJ said:

And will the motherboard be able to have my ZOTAC GeForce GTX 560 and TL-WN851ND 300Mbps Wireless N PCI Adapter? It's just so annoying having to send the components back...
  39. Just looking at the Arctic Cooling unit it's obvious it won't match the EVO.

I don't see why the mobo wouldn't work with your parts.
  40. I'd go with a Z77 motherboard if I had an i5-3570k
  41. FinneousPJ said:

What about the Cooler Master Hyper 212+? Does that one fit the i5 3570k and would you recommend it? I have that cooler on my FX-8120
  42. Yeah, it's basically the same only an older design.
Ask a new question

Read More

Cooler Master AMD Components Product