Is integrated Graphics necessary?

eroche2012

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
I want to build a budget gaming PC and I have chosen the following parts. I noticed that the processor does not have integrated graphics, but is this a problem as I am including a seperate graphics card?

Intel Core i5-3350P 3.10GHz S1155 6MB
Gigabyte Z77-D3H S1155 Intel Z77 DDR3 ATX
Asus AMD Radeon 7770 HD 1GHz 1GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI

I dont fully understand how the integrated graphics works. Any clarificatin on this would be welcome.
Many thanks.

popeyejohnson

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
intergrated graphics = poo in most cases, amd apu's being the exception, they have about the lowest spec you can get away with to play modern games, with the set up you have outlined you have no need or want for intergrated grasphics

razvan_mz

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
why would you buy a core i5-3350P (it sounds like a crippled edition, it has a 69W TDP which is -8W than a normal one with HD Graphics), buy a normal one like 3330 or 3450
Is that the cheapest i5?

I think the integrated graphic is usefull when you remove the graphic card to sell it or change it or something.

In this day and age when most CPU's have an intigrated GPU of some sort or other bad or not, I fee lit would be folly to use a CPU that does not have any GPU ability at all.
The reason being that if your dedicated GPU goes wrong then you can at least still browse the net etc until you can replace it. Without any sort of GPU ability apart from your dedicated GPU, well if that goes bad all you have is an expensive box of parts good for nothing until you can buy a new GPU.

Mactronix :) [edit for spelling]

empty213

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Agreed, an integrated GPU is useful in times of troubleshooting hardware. You can use the integrated GPU to boot your system and see if it works without the dedicated GPU. If you don't have an integrated GPU on the motherboard when troubleshooting you can't simply plug the cable to the integrated GPU and remove the dedicated GPU to test if the dedicated GPU is the one causing the problem.. You'd have to go through the trouble of using that dedicated GPU on another system or find another GPU to test on your system.

Bombhead

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010

Never thought about it like that before, excellent point.

eroche2012

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks for your replies.
I didnt go for the 3330 because the speed of the 3350 is sligthly better. The release date for the 3450 is also slightly earlier so I was picking the latest series (Q3 2012) rather than earlier releases. I take your point about not having any on board graphics might be a problem if the graphics card crashes. Do you think I would I be better off getting a 3450S?

I am afraid that here my knowledge of computer hardware is where I need a bit of more help with.
How do a processor that has integrated graphics and a seperate graphics card work together? Is only the graphics card used for processing graphics or will both the integrated graphics on the CPU and the graphics card be used?
I would prefer to only install only one piece of hardware if possible if thats what will be used. Am I wrong in thinking like this or would there be improved performance by having integrated graphics in the CPU and an additional seperate graphics card? Many thanks for you help.

Reactions: furglelover

InvalidError

Titan

But if Intel gets their way with game developers, the "useless IGP" may become a very desirable "IGPGPU" to offload stuff like OpenCL/DirectCompute game physics off the GPU/CPU in exactly the sort of games high-end gamers keep talking about.