memory error in XP Pro

We have devloped a large 3D model using mostly solids in AutoCAD, and we are
having
difficulty plotting the entire file. It plots fine without hiding lines,
but when we hide the lines, after about 60%, AutoCAD closes without warning
and the plot is not completed.

Sometimes, we get a memory error in AutoCAD zooming across the command line
before it disappears, other times we get an alert dialog box before AutoCAD
closes.

We have tried plotting to a file, directly to an HP plotter and to a PDF
with no success.

The AutoCAD file is about 45 MEG and it has a 50 MEG Xref attached.

We are running a new Dell P4 with 4 GIG of RAM and over 120 GIG available on
the hard drive. It is running AutoCAD 2005 on Windows XP professional. I
believe the video card has 128 MEG of RAM.

We have tried setting the /3GB switch in the boot.ini file, but see no
difference in performance.

1. Is there a way to verify that the /3GB switch did anything?
2. Is this a limitation of AutoCAD? I don't think it is our model. It
AUDITs fine, and this problem can be duplicated by arraying a bunch of
solid cylinders....
3. Is this a limitation of Windows?
4. Is this a limitation of hardware?
5. Is there a way to start Windows with AutoCAD exclusivly using the memory
etc?
6. What can we do to get a complete plot?

Thanks in advance,
Eric
2 answers Last reply
More about memory error

    Hello Eric,
    First I would try the "Windows Memory Diagnostic" to check the memory in
    the system.
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

    <1. Is there a way to verify that the /3GB switch did anything?
    Using this switch only enables another gig on RAM to be made available to
    applications that are compiled with the /largeaddressaware. Autocad would
    have to be able show that it is capable of using the memory. If Autocad is
    not capable of using the additional addressspace then there is no gain.
    <2. Is this a limitation of AutoCAD? I don't think it is our model. It
    <AUDITs fine, and this problem can be duplicated by arraying a bunch of
    <solid cylinders....
    It sounds like a problem with memory, it's hard to say with the information
    so far. You may want to check the event logs to see if there are errors
    reported after the crash to see if we can get some more information.
    <3. Is this a limitation of Windows?
    I am not aware of any limitation of Windows that would cause this behavior,
    but we need more information.
    <4. Is this a limitation of hardware?
    It may be a hardware issue, but we need more information
    <5. Is there a way to start Windows with AutoCAD exclusivly using the memory
    <etc?
    Not sure if this can be done inside the OS, the app may have to request and
    reserve the memory.

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Eric" <eric@ese-cad.com>
    <Subject: memory error in XP Pro
    <Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 11:14:27 -0500
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize
    <
[...]

    I'll give this a try....

    Eric

    ""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <Darrellg@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > on
    > <the hard drive. It is running AutoCAD 2005 on Windows XP professional. I
    > <believe the video card has 128 MEG of RAM.
    > <
    > <We have tried setting the /3GB switch in the boot.ini file, but see no
    > <difference in performance.
    > <
    > <1. Is there a way to verify that the /3GB switch did anything?
    > <2. Is this a limitation of AutoCAD? I don't think it is our model. It
    > <AUDITs fine, and this problem can be duplicated by arraying a bunch of
    > <solid cylinders....
    > <3. Is this a limitation of Windows?
    > <4. Is this a limitation of hardware?
    > <5. Is there a way to start Windows with AutoCAD exclusivly using the
    memory
    > <etc?
    > <6. What can we do to get a complete plot?

Configuration CAD Windows XP